Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! A/C omits a “urine” odor

When I turn the A/C on it omits a “urine” odor. Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the remedy?
Thanks

My wife's '06 had a musty smell from the A/C last year and it turned out to be the drain hose for the A/C was stopped up so the water was collecting in the passenger compartment. I had the dealer blow it out and the smell went away. I just checked my V and her XLR a couple of weeks ago to keep from having that problem again. So far, so good.

You can have the Afterblow feature enabled with a Tech 2. This feature will dry the evaporator core after the A/C is shut off. Works really well. :wave:

<FORM method=post name=CellHandlerForm action=/newsi/cellHandler.do>

Afterblow Enabling
The afterblow mode can be enabled using the scan tool. The afterblow mode allows the blower motor to operate after the engine has been turned off. This operation of the blower motor dries the evaporator core, which reduces the amount of microbial growth which can create undesirable odors.
Use the following procedure in order to enable the afterblow mode:

• Connect the scan tool.
  • Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  • Select HVAC Module.
  • Select HVAC Systems Automatic.
  • Select Special Functions.
  • Select HVAC.
  • Select Afterblow Option.
  • Select ENTER to enable the afterblow.
  • When done, use the soft key to save changes.
When afterblow has been enabled by the scan tool the blower motor will operate between medium and high speed for 4 minutes after the engine has been turned off.
The following conditions must be met for the HVAC module to operate the afterblow:

• The outside air temperature must be at least 21°C (70°F).
  • The A/C compressor must operate for more than 2 minutes.
  • The engine must be turned off for at least 45 minutes.
  • The system voltage must be at least 12 volts.

</FORM>

???? How is it going to know that the engine will be off for 45 minutes? Or,,, does it run after 45 minutes of shut off time?

Chad

When I turn the A/C on it omits a “urine” odor. Has anyone experienced this and if so what was the remedy?
Thanks

Richiez,

Sorry to hear of the odor you're experiencing. Let me know if I can assist by scheduling an appointment for you at a GM dealer to have this diagnosed. You are also more than welcome to message me regarding your concerns!

William R.
Cadillac Customer Care

It's 45 minutes after the engine has been shut off. :wave:

I had Bruce turn this on in Elwood a few years ago and it scared the crap out of me the first time. I was standing beside the car and it seemed to come alive all by itself. :laugh:

My wife's '06 had a musty smell from the A/C last year and it turned out to be the drain hose for the A/C was stopped up so the water was collecting in the passenger compartment. I had the dealer blow it out and the smell went away. I just checked my V and her XLR a couple of weeks ago to keep from having that problem again. So far, so good.

Make sure the evap core drain is clear on all of your cars. A plugged drain on an XLR can cause a lot of problems.

Does anybody have a picture of the drain hole?

You can have the Afterblow feature enabled with a Tech 2. This feature will dry the evaporator core after the A/C is shut off. Works really well. :wave:

Bruce,

Do you have a Tech 2 and if so, could you bring it to Bowling Green?

<form method="post" name="CellHandlerForm" action="/newsi/cellHandler.do">

Afterblow Enabling

• Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
</form>
I realize this is an old post, but I've been trying to get this to work on my 06. I have a TECHII but I need clarification on how to turn on the ignition with the engine off.
The only option I have is ACC on/off and either starting the engine or stopping. I can't figure out how to just turn on ignition.

Any advice? What am I doing wrong?

Press the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal.

Must be doing something wrong. Pressing the button twice just shows "Press Brake To Start". Won't do anything else

I just found one of Gizmo's posts. This one works.

"We asked Bruce the same question Saturday nite. He said if you press the bottom of the start button the car goes into accessory mode and if you press and hold(3-5 seconds) the bottom of that start button it goes into RUN mode."

Thanks Bruce

Last edited:
Was able to set "Afterblow" today. Still learning on the TECHII.
  1. Plugged in TECHII
  2. Drilled down to the HVAC page to select Afterblow.
  3. Got an on screen message to make sure ignition was on
  4. Turned on ignition
  5. Went to Afterblow screen
  6. Selected Afterblow
  7. Exited TECHII
  8. Ran A/C for several minutes
  9. Fan came on
  10. Happy Happy Happy

Since turning on Afterblow using my TECHII, I don't have the funky mildew smell the first startup of the day anymore. What a cool feature. And it's kinda cool coming out to the car 45 minutes later and it's drying the moisture away

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom