Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

A/C System replacement parts

Batmobile

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black XLR-V
I would like to replace the whole A/C system, so appreciate your feedback for the parts required for the job.

I've done some digging, but just want to ensure I have everything since this will be internationally shipped.
Hope this list also helps anyone who wants to undertake this project in the future.

- A/C Compressor (A/C Compressor For 2006-2009 Cadillac XLR 4.4L V8 2007 2008 Delphi CS10070 | eBay)

- A/C Expansion valve, qty.1 (ACDELCO 1550696)

- A/C Condenser

*Anything else missing? Like sensors or such?
There's a ton of AC service "kits" that I've seen on Ebay, but I worry the parts are not OEM quality since the compressor is definitely not original. I'm looking at Delphi as a viable option. It seems a better option to just create my own kit of parts.

As some of you have seen my previous post, https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/11859-a-c-troubles.html; now I'm trying to just overhaul and upgrade all used parts and hope for the best.

Thank you for reading!

Cool!

Howdy,

How much of this are you planning to do yourself may I ask? That because if you have say, a bad compressor, the whole system needs to be cleaned out 'just in case' any shrapnel got passed down the lines. You wouldn't want to install a new compressor only to have it ingest bits of the old one.

RockAuto for most parts though eBay is fine if the price is right. Read the guarantees, and I don't have personal experience with it as I've always bought new, but most say to stay clear of re-manufactured compressors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2007,xlr,4.4l+v8+supercharged,1433657,heat+&+air+conditioning

You will need a quantity of compressor oil. Some compressors are preloaded with the full amount, some with a minimal amount so it's just a good thing to have some, especially if the compressor is travelling a distance (might decide to leak in the package).

In your other thread, L.T.S. noted dryer, expansion valve and orifice tube. I fully agree.

Get an o-ring kit. If not specific, there's generic stuff available pretty much anywhere.

The pictures I see of your car - Saudi...dusty. Have you cleaned out everything properly first? Plugged up condensers, even cabin filters really do not help HVAC systems. They need to be able to dissipate heat and move air, so if things are clogged with sand and dust, air conditioning is not going to work well I'm afraid. Maybe a really good careful cleaning and a once-over of all the components might start to help pinpoint the exact problem area a bit better?

A trick everyone should note regarding RockAuto:

When you load up a shopping cart there, set in your address first so you'll always see the shipping cost. I'm not sure how it works with them - actual weight versus volumetric, but for some large or heavy parts if shipped together as one order, you can end up paying substantially more than if you placed multiple separate orders for the very same stuff. This is besides their shipping from multiple warehouses thing - it seems it almost a glitch in their system.

My example might be a complete set of brake rotors (all 4) and order the fronts and shipping is say 10$, add the rears and the shipping total goes to 40$. Now remove the fronts and the total drops back to 10$ for only the rears. Get it? So watch carefully if you care, and do consider making separate orders. ;)

Anyway, I don't disagree with a new OEM style ACDelco compressor from eBay. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find the same a whole lot closer to Saudi though. Have you tried doing your shopping by compressor part number on any of the other eBay sites (.co.uk, .de...)?

Hope you'll keep everyone posted.

Gord :thumbsup

Howdy,

How much of this are you planning to do yourself may I ask? That because if you have say, a bad compressor, the whole system needs to be cleaned out 'just in case' any shrapnel got passed down the lines. You wouldn't want to install a new compressor only to have it ingest bits of the old one.

RockAuto for most parts though eBay is fine if the price is right. Read the guarantees, and I don't have personal experience with it as I've always bought new, but most say to stay clear of re-manufactured compressors.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/cadillac,2007,xlr,4.4l+v8+supercharged,1433657,heat+&+air+conditioning

You will need a quantity of compressor oil. Some compressors are preloaded with the full amount, some with a minimal amount so it's just a good thing to have some, especially if the compressor is travelling a distance (might decide to leak in the package).

In your other thread, L.T.S. noted dryer, expansion valve and orifice tube. I fully agree.

Get an o-ring kit. If not specific, there's generic stuff available pretty much anywhere.

The pictures I see of your car - Saudi...dusty. Have you cleaned out everything properly first? Plugged up condensers, even cabin filters really do not help HVAC systems. They need to be able to dissipate heat and move air, so if things are clogged with sand and dust, air conditioning is not going to work well I'm afraid. Maybe a really good careful cleaning and a once-over of all the components might start to help pinpoint the exact problem area a bit better?

Anyway, I don't disagree with a new OEM style ACDelco compressor from eBay. I'd be really surprised if you couldn't find the same a whole lot closer to Saudi though. Have you tried doing your shopping by compressor part number on any of the other eBay sites (.co.uk, .de...)?

Hope you'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks for your extensive feedback, I appreciate it.

I don't plan on doing the AC work myself as I don't have enough experience/knowledge to tackle it. However I know a decent garage who only works on Corvettes, and has restored an XLR before so they do the heavy lifting.

L.T.S has been of great help with this, but what is meant exactly by "dryer and orifice tube"? If these are generic parts that can be flushed/replaced I can give that a go.

It is indeed, super sandy over here! However, the car was washed from beneath when I replaced my power steering rack along with cleaning the whole cross member when it was dropped. Are you referring to an actual system flush perhaps?

*side note, during the steering rack replacement I had all belts replaced (engine, supercharger, AC), I'm wondering if the belt tensioners weren't torqued correctly and can be causing the issue with the intermittent cold AC failure upon any hard stress on the engine...

Last edited:
Hi and you're welcome. ;)

Just a copy / paste from another site for ease and I put the RockAuto links in for each.

1. COMPRESSOR
The most essential component of any air conditioning system is the compressor. The four main functions that your vehicle’s compressor carries out include:

Pressurizing the refrigerant to cool the air
Sensing temperature changes inside and outside your car
Monitoring and controlling temperature output
Moving air to the condenser
More Information for ACDELCO 1521532

2. CONDENSER
Your vehicle’s A/C condenser is usually located in the front of the radiator, giving it the nickname of the mini-radiator. When the compressor is pressurizing the refrigerant, the condenser works to reduce the temperature and pressure of hot gasses coming from the refrigerant. In addition, the condenser is also responsible for moving the cooled liquid refrigerant to the receiver/dryer or accumulator.
More Information for ACDELCO 1562899

3. RECEIVER/DRYER OR ACCUMULATOR
Whether or not you have receiver/dryer or accumulator depends on the model of your vehicle. A receiver/dryer is present in vehicles that have a thermal expansion valve. An accumulator, on the other hand, is found in vehicles that have an orifice tube. The receiver/dryer works to separate gas from liquid. The compressor can be ruined if any liquid gets in. That’s because a compressor isn’t designed for liquids, just gasses. This part also takes out moisture using a desiccant. Desiccants can be compared to the small, bead-filled packet you find in packaging for new electronics. Finally, there are also filters that protect the A/C system from contaminants.

The accumulator is responsible for monitoring and controlling the amount of refrigerant that goes into the evaporator. It also stores excess refrigerant, filters debris and removes moisture.
(The XLR appears to have the dryer included within the condenser)

4. THERMAL EXPANSION VALVE OR ORIFICE TUBE
As stated previously, cars with a thermal expansion valve utilize a receiver/dryer while a vehicle with an orifice tube utilizes an accumulator. Regardless, the Thermal Expansion Valve or Orifice Tube should be located between the condenser and evaporator. Together, they monitor the amount of pressure and temperature of your A/C system and calculate the exact amount of refrigerant that can safely go into the evaporator.
More Information for ACDELCO 1550696

More Information for FOUR SEASONS 39340 <--- this contradicts the paragraph above however in the event (due to distance) someone / something doesn't jive, hey, you can use it for a key chain. :lol:

5. EVAPORATOR
Another part that’s crucial if you want cold, refreshing air hitting your face is the evaporator. You’ll find this component right behind the dashboard. It’s in charge of cooling the air with the refrigerant before it is blown into the cabin of your vehicle.
(One would hopefully be able to avoid changing this...typically a very unpleasant task however I don't have experience with the XLR which may be better or [probably] worse.)

---

First off, I'd really hope you've had the system charge checked. If it's low it may work, just not very well. I did actually mean in the physical / exterior sense. The fins and such of the condenser need to be clean and clear so it can 'radiate' in exactly the same way your engine radiator does. We're flowing air through these two things to cool down the closed loop contents. Radiator doing it for the engine coolant, condenser doing it for the Freon (or equivalent) gas.

I would think that you would have heard squealing belts if something wasn't right with those. An AC compressor draws something like -5- horsepower from an engine, and that's a fairly significant 'ask' of a belt that is too loose. They usually slip and scream terribly.

It's not a new car and it's living in a place where I'd bet your A/C is on pretty much all the time. If the system is clean and properly charged and it's still not making nice frosty air, your compressor is most likely just getting tired. I couldn't blame it actually - that's hard work in a less than hospitable climate for sure.

All the other components mentioned are 'typically' changed. It's a costly job more often than not in labor so if you or someone else dives in up to their ankles, it's just a good plan to do it all and then you can set the A/C system mileage count back to zero with confidence. Note also that as the compressor has (probably) been wearing, all the little bits from it be they ever so small, are now somewhere within the closed loop. Some things you can't get in to clean, others...less costly to replace than clean.

Don't forget oil and o-rings (actually, your shop should have these handy), and if you haven't changed your cabin air filter, best to do that too along with checking as deep in that path as possible for further dust and debris. It's all about airflow!

Hope I got most everything for you - write back if I've missed.

Batmo.....

If you are in a area of sand storms, wich is very hard on cars, I would first spend my money on item that could make the AC not working properly.

First the front condenser, if it is filed of sand, its function will be diminished, second, a drier is a filter , replacing it would be a good start, it is not that expensive.

Have the system check, the R134 gas filtered and for debris.

Enclosed is a drawing of a drier and a sketch of how an AC is working, it is like the hieroglyphs, easy to read.

Enjoy it.

IAN :blinzel: whala

Reveiver drier.jpg51_r134_image-1.jpg

Last edited:
Parts are here, finally!

Will take it to my mechanic soon, not soon enough. Will report back any updates. Can't wait to feel that cold breeze coming out of the A/C.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom