Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

A little word of warning for our XLR owners

Army Al

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR V InfraRed/Shale 18.5K mi 11/28/14
Well, it was time to crank up the XLR-V after 6 months and of course the battery was dead. I pulled out the old key to unlock the trunk. Once inside, I pulled the release tab more than a few times. It only partially unlocked the door and I could NOT gain access. What saved me from breaking the window was my hood was purposely unlocked for my battery tender and the driver's window was down where I had access to the manual release lever. I imagine if that release tab in the trunk only works partially or brakes off with a dead battery and the windows fully up, it's time for a new driver's side window if you can find one. Once charged, easy access. Don't trust the release tab, maybe a little WD-40. Welcome all to 2023 :)

Last edited:
Mine was on a battery tender. I guess it died after 7 years.

Hey

Walmart battery here. Never had an issue. My 2006 V sits for weeks at a time. No tender. Never had an issue. Mine is straight from the factory. No mods. Do not understand all the battery issues I hear about. Maybe I just jinxed myself? I keep mine in the garage. About to hit 90 K in a couple days. : (

Bill

Just for shits and giggles I keep mine on the tender, with all the problems this quirky car can give you the dead battery is the easy fix just leave the hood un latched.

Well, it was time to crank up the XLR-V after 6 months and of course the battery was dead. I pulled out the old key to unlock the trunk. Once inside, I pulled the release tab more than a few times. It only partially unlocked the door and I could NOT gain access. What saved me from breaking the window was my hood was purposely unlocked for my battery tender and the driver's window was down where I had access to the manual release lever. I imagine if that release tab in the trunk only works partially or brakes off with a dead battery and the windows fully up, it's time for a new driver's side window if you can find one. Once charged, easy access. Don't trust the release tab, maybe a little WD-40. Welcome all to 2023 :)

I leave my Premium Battery tender connected at all times. I also have a 10ga wire running from battery connection on Fuse Box routed to coming out just under the splitter. Capped with Marette. I can boost or charge with this connection. I also connected a Choke cable to operate the Hood release from a wheelwell. Remove the door latch Ass'y to see what is going on.

My battery on a 2008 would be dead in a week from parasitic drain.
Once I disconnected the Battery for 2 weeks as the trunk was opening without reason when parked in the garage! When I reconnected it, it cured the trunk opening and I did not have to re-index the windows. Possessed!!

Just for shits and giggles I keep mine on the tender, with all the problems this quirky car can give you the dead battery is the easy fix just leave the hood un latched.
Do NOT forget to fully close the hood. I put an empty tin can over the hood latch. The safety latch will not hold it at highway speed. Don't ask me how I know.

Being on a tender I have to remove the charger clips

Well, it was time to crank up the XLR-V after 6 months and of course the battery was dead. I pulled out the old key to unlock the trunk. Once inside, I pulled the release tab more than a few times. It only partially unlocked the door and I could NOT gain access. What saved me from breaking the window was my hood was purposely unlocked for my battery tender and the driver's window was down where I had access to the manual release lever. I imagine if that release tab in the trunk only works partially or brakes off with a dead battery and the windows fully up, it's time for a new driver's side window if you can find one. Once charged, easy access. Don't trust the release tab, maybe a little WD-40.
Well, it was time to crank up the XLR-V after 6 months and of course the battery was dead. I pulled out the old key to unlock the trunk. Once inside, I pulled the release tab more than a few times. It only partially unlocked the door and I could NOT gain access. What saved me from breaking the window was my hood was purposely unlocked for my battery tender and the driver's window was down whew
I once had a battery tender go bad, my emergency key was in the car on the Fob that I thought that I had removed and hung up in the house. The dealer couldn't cut me a new emergency key as he needed the ownership and it was in the glove box in the locked car! I know, right. Pretty sloppy!

Anyhow, I found a 12 volt plug under the car at the front center and disconnected the male and female ends (found this idea on the web, somewhere). I was able to back flow to the battery to charge it up! Used a current limited charger and charged the battery. After an hour, I was able to open the door. Of course, opened the hood and charged the battery the normal way. I forget what the cable circuit fed ....was many years ago. I do not have a service manual and finally looking to buy the manuals.
........a few hours later.....
Just found an old thread about this from Station31 and he found it on a thread from Tim " Hawk58". I could not find the Hawk58 message.

Last edited:

Ended up getting a better Battery Tender. OFF TOPIC; sometimes my Passenger Door will not open when the button is pressed. I discovered that if you hit the Unlock button on the Drivers door that it will then work!
Hope this helps someone.
Struts for holding the Trunk Lid up are no longer available from GM. Does anyone have a substitute # , Length, M'f'g'r etc? Thanks.

Ended up getting a better Battery Tender. OFF TOPIC; sometimes my Passenger Door will not open when the button is pressed. I discovered that if you hit the Unlock button on the Drivers door that it will then work!
Hope this helps someone.
Struts for holding the Trunk Lid up are no longer available from GM. Does anyone have a substitute # , Length, M'f'g'r etc? Thanks.
I changed them last fall. I will look it up. Just remember, there is a little "travel" screw in the linkage that has to be removed in order to get the proper length to install them. Without knowing that it won't fit!

Too many components on this car are voltage or current sensitive. Systems are getting old........18 years is a long time in this tech society. Lots of little quirky things happen to this car. So far....able to overcome them.

I recall reading about that screw-Drivers side? I believe there is an article in the Forum. I will also look it up in my 4 Volume Service Manual.
Thanks.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back