Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

AFTER market FOB

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
Has anyone bought the after-market FOB that is being sold on EBay? Or does anyone have an original FOB they would be willing to sell?

Good question. And I'm curious about the answer as well.

Here's what I just did (there was a FOB thread on the "other forum"):

My '05's FOBs are P/N's 10354922 and 10354923. I picked up two used ones off of eBay that are P/N's 10354922 and 10347463, and I'm going to see if I can program them as spares (#3 and #4). They will not be able to utilize the memory feature.

They were a little less than the one you are looking at. ($39 and $25 as I recall).

I ordered two '09 FOB's for my XLR (I like the newer design) from eBay and no problems programming them to my XLR (but had to use #3 and #4 locations; therefore not working with my Memory settings) - hopefully Bruce can help me wipe out all FOB's with the Tech 2 and reprogram my two '09 FOB's in slots #1 and #2 - (maybe at the April trip).

You should have no problems with the remotes you get from eBay.

:wave:

If I can get the newer '09 FOB's programmed into slots #1 and #2, I'd be more than happy to just GIVE you one of my older original FOB's. :)

Thank's Dave .... that would be much appreciated! :rocker:

We will probably still be on the lookout for another one ...
Both of our FOBs are quite worn and of course, one has snapped at the "ring" part .... mine. And I'm sure it's due to the fact that it is in and out of my purses, pockets etc. almost on a daily basis. That's not a good design made out of plastic.

Ray has swapped FOBS with me for the time-being ... since Lola is my DD and he drives the Escal. - When we bought the car, the guy who sold it to us programmed Ray as #1 ..... and me as #2 ...... I never thought much about it until the other day when we swapped FOB's and I looked down and saw that I was now #1! Hah .... I wonder how he will like the #2 position ....;)

Good question. And I'm curious about the answer as well.
My '05's FOBs are P/N's 10354922 and 10354923.... ($39 and $25 as I recall).

I got one of the big fat 10354922 with the car
140.jpg
and immediately started researching the newer slimline style with the hidden key
140.jpg
. I could have sworn I read somewhere that I had to find a specific year (2008) cause something was different about the 2009. I had no idea there were two different part numbers for Fob#1 and Fob#2, but lucked out with a slimline 2008 Fob#2 for $32.

I ordered two '09 FOB's for my XLR (I like the newer design) from eBay and no problems programming them to my XLR (but had to use #3 and #4 locations; therefore not working with my Memory settings) - hopefully Bruce can help me wipe out all FOB's with the Tech 2 and reprogram my two '09 FOB's in slots #1 and #2 - (maybe at the April trip).

Yeah mine was accepted by the car using the instructions in the manual, but as Fob#3. I'm with you, if Bruce does yours with no problems, I'd love for him to do mine, too. Then he can do Lola's as well. :naughty:

On another note about the Fobs, the new style has the hidden key. Well of course the key that came with my eBay fob didn't work on my car. So I ordered one off eBay and while I waited for it to arrive, I figured out how to remove the existing key. Once my new key was cut and I verified that it worked, I sawed the top off it and had to file it down to fit in the fob key slot, replaced the screw, added Gorilla glue for insurance and now have a fully functional key set. Then found out this week, I coulda saved a few bucks and time by buying a Saturn key blank since it matches ours. Will be going to my locksmith to get two for spares after the snow melts.

On another note about the Fobs, the new style has the hidden key. Well of course the key that came with my eBay fob didn't work on my car. So I ordered one off eBay and while I waited for it to arrive, I figured out how to remove the existing key. Once my new key was cut and I verified that it worked, I sawed the top off it and had to file it down to fit in the fob key slot, replaced the screw, added Gorilla glue for insurance and now have a fully functional key set. Then found out this week, I coulda saved a few bucks and time by buying a Saturn key blank since it matches ours. Will be going to my locksmith to get two for spares after the snow melts.

Hey Giz - how did you get that key off? I had a guy cut my key, file it down and all - it slides into the FOB, but for the life of me, I cannot get the previous cut key off of the base. How did you do it? I tried heating it up and everything ... I don't want to try too hard and break the base. I was told by a dealer that they sell me a "blank" key w/ base, but its $75... and if someone screws up cutting it ... BAM, there goes $75. Tell me your secret buddy - I removed the little screw that I thought held it in, but they must have used GORILLA GLUE on it or something. :dunno:

I need to replace keys in both FOB's (I think you are correct, I think mine are '08 FOB's)

Thanks buddy!

Interesting, I'll be following as well. I would like the newer key fob style also, but not enough to buy a newer XLR.
Meanwhile, on another car Tracy made me a leather pouch to keep the fob in when the ring broke out.
Bruce

Hey Giz - how did you get that key off? I had a guy cut my key, file it down and all - it slides into the FOB, but for the life of me, I cannot get the previous cut key off of the base. How did you do it? I tried heating it up and everything ... I don't want to try too hard and break the base. I was told by a dealer that they sell me a "blank" key w/ base, but its $75... and if someone screws up cutting it ... BAM, there goes $75. Tell me your secret buddy - I removed the little screw that I thought held it in, but they must have used GORILLA GLUE on it or something. :dunno:

I took a look at Bob's and Cubby's during BobFest and theirs seem more secure than mine, so maybe Cadillac did add more adhesive. I wasn't nearly as concerned about breaking anything since it only cost $32. So I removed the screw, vised the key and starting with an Xacto knife and worked my way to the base of the keyholder (the screw side was hardest). Then with a hammer and a small block of wood, I began tapping the keyholder away from the key on each end, rocking it on the key till it fell to the floor.

So getting the old key out wasn't that bad, what took the longest and most precision was fitting the new key. I had to notch the butt of the key for the screwtab and file down the edges and opposite side to fit in the keyholder. There were three objectives for the new key: a) Fit it into the keyholder, b) Get it into the key fob straight and securely, and c) making sure it still worked in the car once a) and b) were satisfactory. Needless to say, it took several measurements and a slow process of grind and check, then grind some more then check b) and c), then grind some more. Once I had a) accomplished and knew c) still worked, I pretty much fudged b) till it was close enough and left it alone.

The final task I still haven't completed. I plan to drill through the keyblank using the screwhole as a guide and find a screw that will countersink into the screwtab, bite into the key to hold it in place, then file the screw flush on the opposite side. Maybe add a little Gorilla Glue for good measure. But you know me if it ain't perfect, it ain't done; so I figure with a few cheap Saturn keyblanks, I can perfect the fitting of the key in the holder and the fob, then I can make it permanent.

RA, you could buy any Cadillac key fob with the same shape (I use an extra one I had from my 05 STS) and just remove the "guts" from Lola's fobs and insert them into the new fob. I had to do that because the STS fob, although the same exact shape, would not program successfully to Misty.

RA, you could buy any Cadillac key fob with the same shape (I use an extra one I had from my 05 STS) and just remove the "guts" from Lola's fobs and insert them into the new fob. I had to do that because the STS fob, although the same exact shape, would not program successfully to Misty.
Hey ....That's a great thing to know!
So ... the only difference really is that one says XLR!

That about it!!!

The onlly "difference" is that the STS has a Remote Start and a Panic button on it; they obviously won't work.

That's okay .... that's all I would need was someone to push my panic button ... :lol:

Yeah ..... too bad about the remote start thing .... we have it on the Escalade ... love having the air conditioner start cooling. We use it a lot. That and the heated seats .... go figure :squint:.

According to newkeyfob.com the 06-08 STS and XLRs use the same key. However, I have not found the site where the fobs are less than $65 yet. :confused::willy_nilly:

Successfully RE-PROGRAMMED new FOB to #1 & #2

I just wanted to let people know that I have been able to reprogram my new SLIM FOB's into the #1 & #2 memory slots. There is a procedure right in our OWNERS MANUAL (not sure if it works for ALL years, but it is in my 2005 manual) on wiping out ALL programmed FOB's and reprogramming one, UNRECOGNIZED FOB. The manual does state that it is only "user programable" for US, not for Canadian owners.

Page 2-6 and 2-7 goes over the process. It requires (3) 20 minute intervals to program. I didn't want to take the chance, so I actually performed this in the parking lot of my dealer, just in case it didn't work, I'd avoid a TOW charge. But it worked just fine - just like the manual said it would. I programmed an "unrecognized" FOB to #1 and then #2. Now my memory settings work with my SLIM FOB.

Let me know if anyone has any questions on doing this (I thought a Tech II was required, but apparently not). :rocker:

I'm going to try this!! I know the buttons are different on some of the FOBs over the different years of the STS, DTS, Escalade, etc... Is there a specific slim FOB I'd have to buy, or are they are pretty much interchangeable but only certain buttons will work? I'm assuming I need either a 2008 XLR or 2008 STS Fob?

Hey, this is good information. I have an 08 CTS and checked to see if the slim fobs were available for my 06 XLR but it seemed they wouldn't work. It looks like I'll be trying one of the new fobs after all. Just to confirm, only 08 and earlier fobs will work? All of the fobs I have seen say they will fit 07-09 so how do you get one for only 08?

Frustrated

So I ordered the new slim Fob, and got it in yesterday. I followed the instructions to add the Fob as #3, and it didn't work -- it doesn't seem like the car is recognizing the FOB at all. I thought maybe it just wouldn't work as #3... so I wiped out all the memory through the three intervals, and when it finished it asked for FOB #1 -- and my new FOB still was not recognized. I guess I'm going to have to send it back and program my old #1 and #2 back as 1 and 2... at the moment it is sitting in my garage with no FOBs programmed to it... any suggestions on how to be sure I get a FOB that will work? It was the slimline with lock, unlock, trunk, and alarm.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom