Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Aftermarket warranty

Sorry, wasted time on this Fidelity Platimun care

I just did a little homework on this outfit.
Nothing but bad comments and the good comments seem to be from the warranty folks or employees.
This does not look like a good company at all.
Sorry I wasted your time even looking at this one:bash:

GMPP Major Guard Renewal

I visited my dealer this past weekend and asked about renewing my GM Major Guard for my 2006 XLR with 47k miles. I was told no problem and was quoted a GMPP 24/24 plan with $100 deductible for a little over $2K as long as I renew at least 1 month before current GMPP expires this July. I was also quoted a 36/36 plan w/$100 deduct for $3.5k. All things considered, it does not seem to be bad price for bumper-to-bumper insurance policy for the technology laden XLR.

Is there a point were I can no longer renew GMPP?

Chuck I would probably spring for the GM warranty it's the best reassurance you can buy with a coverage guarantee. Airmike that one company warranty direct company on that site is associated with the automotive warranty of Florida that if googled would make you mad. So far all the research I've done on members choice( mechanical repair coverage) or MRC has been good. It's backed by Cuna mutual group. Actually everything that the site air mike recommended this policy has. The only chance is the actual coverage when it comes time. I haven't purchased the policy yet. I have been back and fourth with the credit union on questions that I've had. They've answered everything and reassured me that theyve been doing business with them for fifteen years and haven't had ANY complaints,and that they would NOT do business with companies like I've been talking about. When I get it I'll update y'all.

Chuck I would probably spring for the GM warranty it's the best reassurance you can buy with a coverage guarantee. Airmike that one company warranty direct company on that site is associated with the automotive warranty of Florida that if googled would make you mad. So far all the research I've done on members choice( mechanical repair coverage) or MRC has been good. It's backed by Cuna mutual group. Actually everything that the site air mike recommended this policy has. The only chance is the actual coverage when it comes time. I haven't purchased the policy yet. I have been back and fourth with the credit union on questions that I've had. They've answered everything and reassured me that theyve been doing business with them for fifteen years and haven't had ANY complaints,and that they would NOT do business with companies like I've been talking about. When I get it I'll update y'all.

Hi All :cool:
I have used mine that I had purchased from the PenFed credit union (Route 66 Ext. Warranty) just once so far, But I knew when I purchased that it would not cover everthing like tires, shocks, belts, coolant, labor to find the vehicle promblem for repair & ect.... But than I only paid 1795.00 for 5yrs/100,000 miles which ever comes 1st. And just the one time I used it they already paid out over 400.00 for the small repairs . The way I see it you can most likely return most of your money for sure if you would have a major repair. Just read the fine print and check the warranty out, read other reviews before purchasing. It's a little late for me since I already purchased mine but i think I may of got lucky with the Route 66 :rocker:
Caddyman Dan

Dan I believe that the route 66 company is underwritten by automotive warranty services of Florida Inc. When I was researching that Florida group it was the underwriter for multiple companies. The company I might go with sounds just the same as yours. I also believe that you'll recoup your investment either way. If you keep up with the scheduled maint. that the owners manual says and keep record" which you should already do" you shouldn't have problem's. Right? Good to hear it wasn't a horror story with the company have read of to many!

extended warranty through Costco

Ok, I know what your thinking (Costco no friggin way)
I got a quote, 72 months, 60 k total miles
$1700 with $100 deductible
$1928 with -0- deductible
I checked in depth, this is a exclusionary coverage program (supposed to be the best coverage you can get). They have to list something specific not covered, I did some checking.
Underwritten by Centruy Warranty Services
Convertible top hydraulic pump motor covered along with valves, lines, cylinders and linkage. (they do not cover any sheet metal or fabric)
adaptive cruise control, covered
GPS, DVD, radio covered
door solenoids covered
I'm still checking and asking questions but from what I've found the term exclusionary coverage is the big one to pay attention to.
(note my car is an 06 with 8000 miles, so if you have more mileage on your car it's gonna be more expensive)
www.costcoauto.com/vpp is the sight and they sent me a copy of the warranty to read. If any of you want it, send me your e-mail and I'll be happy to send you a copy of it and tell you what I saw that I question.
This really does not look to bad and as my car lost coverage under the GM plan (guy I bought it from waited too long), I can't get GM coverage.
The money is not out of line and it does look like they cover about everything except normal wear items (brakes, hoses, battery, bulbs and that type of stuff).
It's worth looking into, I'm just sharing the info with you guys so make up your own mind.
If I pull the trigger, I'll let you know, but for $283.00 a year for the 100 deductible or $321.33 per year for the -0- deductible it might well be worth the piece of mind (I'd love to know what it costs to replace the hydraulic pump/motor on one of these).
Diagnostic looks like it's included and this can be transfered to another owner for $40. Wonder what that would do to a resell value, warranty until 2018.
Check it out:)

specific questions on costco extended warranty answers

have highlighted Steve’s questions in yellow below and have provided answers in order; I have also included some comments pertaining to his vehicle and our coverage. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
a non covered radiator hose breaks, you lose coolant, overheat the engine and ruin it (is that covered)<o:p></o:p>
No – because damage caused by overheating is excluded (#8) <o:p></o:p>
In reality damage caused by a failed radiator hose would be more the result of continued operation without coolant. On a Cadillac it would be hard to overheat the engine because the engine management software would pick see the overheat condition and begin to adjust the fuel mixture accordingly to protect the engine, the A/C system shuts down automatically and the dash warning light begin to flash.<o:p></o:p>
an oil hose on a 2007 Toyota Avalon broke, lost all oil to the engine and locked up the motor, <o:p></o:p>
Yes, the engine would be eligible for coverage, because the oil cooler line/hose is a covered part – which caused damage to a non covered part even though a lack of lubrication is the cause of failure.<o:p></o:p>
the failure was an instant failure of a non covered item (hose/oil line/oil filter) but not a little leak that you didn't pay attention to ?<o:p></o:p>
The failure of a high pressure hose on the engine, transaxle, power steering or A/C usually results in an almost instantaneous fluid leak which is easy to determine. Our plan provides coverage for this type of line/hose failure and very importantly the related damage caused by the line/hose failure, based on physical evidence. Generally it is easy to see the difference between a long term leak and an instant failure. <o:p></o:p>
burnt valves or carbon fouled piston rings.<o:p></o:p>
Neither condition is covered. Burned valves are seldom seen on engines equipped with digital fuel injection systems and aluminum heads. Exhaust valve and seat material upgrades were necessary when unleaded fuel came on the scene and since the 80’s burned valves are a thing of the past. It is important to know that we do cover the intake and exhaust valves for failure, and the resulting related damage.<o:p></o:p>
Piston rings are covered for breakage but not fouling. Piston ring fouling is extremely rare today and is usually caused by a failure of the dispersant additive in the lube oil to keep the oil ring separator and drain holes clean, or a loss of tension caused by overheating, the extreme heat anneals the ring and relieves the tension necessary to keep it in contact with the cylinder wall. An overheated ring can be twisted 180 degrees and will not snap!<o:p></o:p>
Summary<o:p></o:p>
Our service contract is designed to protect the owner of a properly maintained vehicle against the cost of unexpected mechanical, electrical and electronic failure.<o:p></o:p>
We do not use maintenance records to deny claims. Our determinations are based on physical evidence and cause of failure.<o:p></o:p>
From a Cadillac owners point of view our plan provides the depth of mechanical, electronic, and electrical coverage needed to protect the various on-board digital components, folding top lifting mechanism, controls and switches on your vehicle.<o:p></o:p>
Specifically we extend coverage far beyond the Engine Control Module to include the Traction Control, Active Suspension, Climate Control and Body Control Modules and related sensors. Our near-collision avoidance system coverage is an industry exclusive to Costco members.<o:p></o:p>
Trans-axle coverage is also extended to provide coverage for externally mounted sensors, switches and modules which are the primary cause of failures on the 4T 60 and 4T80 GM transaxles. (input speed sensor – range switch, external control module) <o:p></o:p>
Lifetime seal and gasket coverage provides coverage for leaks for the term of the contract and we include same day rental coverage for small repairs.<o:p></o:p>
Many extended service contracts may look the same, but the difference is in the fine print. We have made every attempt to mirror the original new car warranty benefit and extend it to the owner of an out of warranty vehicle. Except for body and trim items, if it was covered by GM under your original vehicle warranty it is covered by the Costco service contract.<o:p></o:p>
I am a long time GM guy and welcome any questions you may have about your car or our vehicle protection contract. I saw a picture of your car and can see why you are concerned about the details.<o:p></o:p>
Bill has worked together with the carrier and Costco to offer a “best in class” service contract to Costco members. His goal was simple: offer new car coverage on a used car. We have stripped out the usual commission structure and enhanced the depth of coverage beyond the dealer service contract level to achieve this. Our coverage far exceeds any other internet providers of similar looking products. To the best of my knowledge we offer the deepest level of coverage available for an out of warranty vehicle in the market place today. <o:p></o:p>
I appreciate your review of our program. Please give me a call if you have any questions, I still do work on them and always learn something new while researching a good question.<o:p></o:p>
Ben Zizzi<o:p></o:p>
Technical Advisor<o:p></o:p>
Costco Auto Program

Steve note: this is the response (which I think is pretty darn good) to technical questions I asked after reading the Costo extended warranty program. I like the answers.
Also full disclosure here, Bill (used to be my brother in law FYI) is in charge of this program with Costco. He is a straight up guy and would not ever lead anyone down a BS path. I just don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm pushing something for a friend, I've done a lot of looking at these programs and I'm not gonna drop 5k or more for an extended warranty, but 2k for 6 years sounds reasonable to me.
Check it out for yourself, it really does look like a good plan and pay attention to the note above that they do cover the folding top (which is a big one to me).
By the way, Bill saw my request to Costco (e-mail) and called me out of the blue to say hi and let me know that this program was his baby, I've know him for 40 years and he again is a stand up guy.
FYI, I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on this warranty.

Steve,

That's an excellent post about the Costco extended warranty. While my car is WELL beyond hope for any extended warranty (168K), I will definitely keep it in mind when I eventually upgrade to a V model.

Thanks for sharing! :rocker:

Steve, that's a wonderful piece of work. Thank you!

I called Costco, and talked w/ Nick (who evidently quoted you your policy, BTW). He was extremely helpful, and is forwarding a quote to me for the 6-year/60K warranty. That's the good news.

The "bad" news is that the premium is much higher than what you got. My '06 XLR has 36,600 miles (versus your 8K) and the $250-deductible runs $3,756; the $100-deductible goes for $4,258. However, it's not out-of-the-question, given that it'll cover 6 years, and almost 100K miles (in my case). Also, when compared to the GMPP, it goes twice as long at a (relatively) small increase in premium.

I'll let the forum know what I end up doing. Thanks again for doing all the "heavy lifting" on this, Steve!

Tim

Costco Warranty update

It's really even better than I thought.
They don't cap the labor rate (some of those policies do)
It goes into effect immediately with no waiting or mileage (you know like one month or 1,000 miles).
So after looking about about 10 of those (some are real scams), I'm going with the Costco one.
I talked to them about pricing which they rate by mileage.
They have the lowest price for cars with under 10k miles
Then I think it goes to the next bracket (higher price) to 25k miles
Then they have other brackets for higher mileage cars.
Bottom line is get the policy while your mileage is low as it will be less expensive.
I spent quite a bit of time looking at these aftermarket policies and I'm convinced (my opinion only, make your own mind up) that Costco offers complete coverage for the whole car without exclusions for a reasonable price.
I hope anyone looking finds this useful. I spent about 12 total hours checking these things out and some of those outfits put a lot of pressure on you to sign the bottom line that day (I don't like pressure sales).
Enjoy your XLR, I won't be worrying so much about mine breaking till 2018 and I sure will enjoy that piece of mind.:worship:

Sounds really good. Where do you go for service? Hope not costco service. I guess you'll find out how it is when needing a repair. Let us know what happens.

reply to Stella

I made sure to ask that question (where to take it for service) which is your choice and due to the special components of the XLR they recommended a Cadillac dealer with XLR trained staff.
That was one thing that I saw on the other warranty companies, they put a cap on per hour labor rate (which I found means that if they put an $80 per hour cap on labor and the dealer you take it to charges $120 per hour labor, you have to pay the $30 per hour difference in labor costs). Now I thought that was a pretty big deal and wanted to make sure that I stayed away from a policy that had a labor cap. Costco does not.
You know, after checking into this warranty stuff, a lot of these aftermarket places have all sorts of "exclusions" so they don't have to pay.
Looking at the Costco one, if you maintain your car (you know change flluids at reasonable times and that stuff), they are going to take care of problems that might come up which is gonna make me feel much better.
I hope all this info is helpful, some of these warranty companies are pretty tricky, so keep your eyes open.

I pulled the trigger and it got better

I called Costco to sign up. Free interest, I paid $192.80 downpayment and $96.40 per month for 18 months. Total is the exact same if I paid cash for it $1,928.00 (I got the 0 deductible).
PLUS, I got the 72 month, 60 K mileage. Well shoot, they added my current mileage (which was like 8,500) to the 60K and the car is covered to 68,500 miles or 6 years whichever comes first.
They do ask you to call before you get work done, but in emergency (after hours) you keep any part replaced and they send you a check if covered. I think this will be ok as I don't plan to take the car on long trips and I don't use it as a daily driver so I don't feel this is a big deal.
So, I didn't have to come up with all the cash up front (not a bad deal), no interest charges and they added my current mileage to the 60k plan. It seems like I'm getting what I paid for.
Heck, after all the scams I heard from other warranty companies, I think maybe (my opinion only judge for yourself) that this is a pretty darn good warranty and I'm going to tell some of my car buddies with Corvett's (that are low mileage and about out of warranty) about this to check it out.
Remember, the price is based on your current mileage and they don't cover stupid:bash:, but what the heck I'll never run over 3,500 miles on a mobile 1 oil change (plus I'll do it every year no matter how many miles) and I've allready had the fluid changed in the radiator due to the car being a 2006.
So far I'm pleased and feel a sense of security for unseen expensive repairs. :)
I hope this saves you folks who are looking some time and frustration.

Sounds awesome hope everything worksout. Just a question about any of the warranties we have been talking about? How do they make any money?

Sounds awesome hope everything worksout. Just a question about any of the warranties we have been talking about? How do they make any money?

Just a guess:
From those that forget that they have the warranty, which probably happens more often than not. They also probably have in the fine print that you have so many days in which to get the paperwork to them... and if you miss that deadline, or don't send all that they want, they have an out to not pay.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom