Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Another Trunk Strut Thread

Uzi4U2

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Xenon Blue XLR
Seems theres a lot on here, and apologize if this is a repeat. Has anyone ever used the wire & ring clamp method w/a pipe clamp shown here?

I got my struts in today and thought I might give it a go. Worse case I mess up both struts and Im out $30.

Seems theres a lot on here, and apologize if this is a repeat. Has anyone ever used the wire & ring clamp method w/a pipe clamp shown here?

I got my struts in today and thought I might give it a go. Worse case I mess up both struts and Im out $30.
Just take the two little star screws out of the hinges and you can lift the trunk to replace the struts without compressing them.

Thanks gents. Tried the clamp method and the ring clamps kept slipping. So I removed the star screw and got the passenger side on fairly easy. Was short on time, so just took a quick try on the drivers side. Meh....thats going to take a bit more time than I had. Tight spacing on the bottom. Getting it off wont be terrible, but getting the new one on the bottom will be tricky. Any tips there?

its really not that bad. since it snaps on you just need a little prybay or piece of wood to slide down beside it , apply pressure to the bottom it and it snaps on.

On the good side, I got the drivers side tunk strut replaced tonight. Not a horrible task.

On the bad side I noticed some wind noise between the windshield / roofline. Upon inspection there's a bit of delamination. Ugh....I'll start another thread for that. Thanks all!

there is already 3 or 5 threads on the top issue. Most are darker cars from the hot south. Would be interesting to see where your car has spent time. Nothing much to do but get a new top off a later 06-09 car . or have a professional shop repair your top. cost about the same as a new one or just fill it with some sealer as a few have done and hope it works. Most that claim it does dont last on here and really cannot state that it last. Personally knowing what the cause of the failure is I highly doubt it works.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom