Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Back up camera anyone?

Certainly a cheap alternative. If I was to do that, I would get a dedicated tablet to keep in the car, mount it somewhere slightly unobtrusive. Having to get out your phone, start the app and look at that small phone screen each time seems to be too much trouble. I think I would get tired of that pretty quick

I actually have my phone in an Otterbox case and have an extra holster velcroed to the dash as I use it as a music player. I read that if you wire the cam to be on whenever the car is running it will connect almost instantly.
Not for everyone for sure, but super convenient for anyone already using their phone.

Interesting to see if the wiring will interfere with the LED lights in the taillight once you splice the power supply for the camera.

I'll probably hook it to the license plate lights for always on or the back up lights for in-reverse only. Both originally had incandescent bulbs but I upgraded them to LED, so plenty of power available now.

I did it...they don't make it easy to find, but I am a (32 years retired) GM Service Parts Operations employee. I knew it had the capability.

I also am a (32 years retired) GM Service Parts Operations employee. CK Savage/own a 2006 XLR with 22K miles. Care to share how to do it?

Last edited:
Absolutely! My only real concern will be getting the wires inside. I wish I'd bought a camera before I changed the lights as pulling down the decklid liner is a bit of a pain, but isn't that just life...

20190901_131112.jpg20190901_123425.jpg20190901_123243.jpg20190901_123253.jpg20190901_131130.jpg

Okay, put the pics up first, I tried a cheaper cam, but eventually gave up on it, poor quality and would have required hardwiring for power.
I settled on a ZUS Wireless Smart Backup Camera made by nonda. They retail for about $100, but of course can be found cheaper. Completely wireless, this camera uses built in battery power. Manufacturer claims weeks between charges, of course if this is for daily use occasional use may give a month or more. I can update on that in the future, but my cam has been on for two weeks already, and still shows nearly full charge. I think it looks good, near OEM quality and works quite well for aftermarket. The picture on the OEM cam on my Escalade is definitely better, but I am quite happy with the ZUS cam anyway.

Okay, put the pics up first, I tried a cheaper cam, but eventually gave up on it, poor quality and would have required hardwiring for power.
I settled on a ZUS Wireless Smart Backup Camera made by nonda. They retail for about $100, but of course can be found cheaper. Completely wireless, this camera uses built in battery power. Manufacturer claims weeks between charges, of course if this is for daily use occasional use may give a month or more. I can update on that in the future, but my cam has been on for two weeks already, and still shows nearly full charge. I think it looks good, near OEM quality and works quite well for aftermarket. The picture on the OEM cam on my Escalade is definitely better, but I am quite happy with the ZUS cam anyway.

So how does it turn on and off?

So how does it turn on and off?

Good question. If it stays on while driving, it's very distracting. (I can turn the rear camera on and off on my Kenwood while driving). I wouldn't think the camera is sophisticated enough with the proper sensors that would indicate forward/backward movement.

This camera turns on and off by Bluetooth. It is controlled by the app on your phone so you only turn it on when you want.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom