Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Back up camera anyone?

Phrede

Seasoned Member
As spring gets closer and the car season approaches I am looking into some of my wish list projects for the XLR.

One is a plate frame mount camera for the rear. I'm wishing wireless "bluetooth or WiFi" that I could see on my phone mounted near the head unit or could push the video into the unit. I think the later is unlikely.

Replacing the OEM inside mirror is not desirable to me.

Bluetooth audio interface for phone and phone navigation is also something I am really wanting. I'm looking into using a 3rd party bluetooth interface (parrot?) and snagging the mute signal and onStar audio in to the amp. OnStar is of little value to me.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Wow Fred, lots of folks reading your post but no one chiming in! :dunno:

I am just happy to own and drive my XLR as she is: I think it is awesome just as Cadillac made it! You are an improvement freak if I ever met one! ;)

My hubby Steve's truck has a rear view camera, when we bought his last truck it had a rear view camera on it and we didn't really want it but NOW we love it: we would not buy a truck without one now!

I never really thought about a rear view camera: it would be cool for sure! :cool:

I am interested on what you eventually do! You are like those beautiful dogs of yours: once you have your teeth into something there ain't no letting go!

Go crazy my friend! :willy_nilly:

backup camera? you aint drivin a semi, you should be nominated for espn's "com'on man!!" for saying you want to install a backup camera...:lol:

I'm with graytoad on this... if you happen upon a classy, inconspicuous device that works with our vehicles... please clue us in. My ultrasound buttons are EXTREMELY sensitive... and I don't want to replace a rear "bumper" anytime soon ; )

Just wondering did you set the side mirrors to see better in reverse? I'm with bad xlr if your not able to seamlessly install the camera to turn on the screen when in reverse not to high tech. Between all the interfacing and lock picks is their any room left on the dash. You can almost put the window down and stick your arm out too the rear bumper. Seriously though doesn't the back of your car get heavily dusted from the aerodynamics of the car mine does. Camera will alWays be dusty,and dirty. Would b cool to see the persons face behind me when I give it full throttle and open up the exhaust.:naughty:

I posted a thread about installing a parrot mki9100 here:
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...g-parrot-mki9100-bluetooth-ipod-aux-usb-5525/https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...g-parrot-mki9100-bluetooth-ipod-aux-usb-5525/

I'll soon be updating it for a couple of reasons: I gave up trying to read the mki9100 display, so I have replaced it with an mki9200. I also moved the box from behind the radio to just left of the radio to improve its reception from the remote. I'll have the update posted next week, as things are very busy for me this week.

It's obvious to me who has commented and never used a backup camera.

To me, it's a lot like heated seats. I never did see the value until I had them. Now, I will never be without them.

No matter how they are adjusted, the side mirrors cannot see behind the vehicle. Cameras, with infrared, do help. Especially when backing in a dark area.

Bluetooth should be obvious. Not to mention that the navigation system on my phone is way better than what is in the car.

The things I'm trying to accomplish are not anything more than more than what would be available if the car were made today.

If you do not want to make any mods to your car and drive it box stock, fine. But please don't criticize those that prefer to do some tweaking. What is the point?

I'm also interested in what you decide regarding a backup camera.

I am thinking about trying the Bluestar 2010 for handsfree phone operation costartech.com - BlueSTAR Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks,
Steve

I'm also interested in what you decide regarding a backup camera.

I am thinking about trying the Bluestar 2010 for handsfree phone operation costartech.com - BlueSTAR Anyone have experience with this product?

Thanks,
Steve

Yes, I do have experience with it. All Bad. Poor audio quality and echo. Not reliable. Not enough speaker volume. Poor tech support. It also drained my XLR-V battery 3 times by hanging in the on position requiring the unit to be unplugged and plugged back in.

YMMV

Thanks Phrede. I like the concept of utilizing onstar for handsfree but if it doesn't work as advertised then I'll gladly stay away.

Steve

Where would you view the camera?

On a separate monitor, like this one:
New Pyle PLCM35R 3.5" TFT LCD Monitor/Night Vision Rear-View Camera System | eBay

Don't take this as a recommendation, just providing one possible answer.

And yes, I'd love to have one that integrated with the existing nav, but I expect that's not going to happen. The Nav in our Lexus has a backup camera. While it's not something you can use as the sole source of information when backing, it's damn useful. I'd love to have it in my XLR.

There are a couple of options I am investigating. A overlay on the mirror. (Small and not real attractive) a display on the back of the visor (a little inconvenient to flip down the visor, but not so bad, wiring may be a small issue). My favorite plan and what I am focusing on right now is on my phone which is mounted just to the right of the head unit. I use the phone for GPS/NAV and am looking to integrate it anyway. I may also be using the phone for a music server since the Lock Pick interface is so clunky.

Thanks Phrede. I like the concept of utilizing onstar for handsfree but if it doesn't work as advertised then I'll gladly stay away.

Steve
Let us know how it works for you. My biggest complaint with the OnStar service is that it requires a second phone number. Which one are people supposed to use when calling?

I posted a thread about installing a parrot mki9100 here:
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadi...g-parrot-mki9100-bluetooth-ipod-aux-usb-5525/

I'll soon be updating it for a couple of reasons: I gave up trying to read the mki9100 display, so I have replaced it with an mki9200. I also moved the box from behind the radio to just left of the radio to improve its reception from the remote. I'll have the update posted next week, as things are very busy for me this week.

Thanks again for the thread, it brought a few thoughts to mind and may very well be the approach I take. Do you mind a couple of questions?

Is there a reason you did the interface behind the head unit rather than at the amp, which I think is easier to get at?

Did you consider using the mute and the OnStar audio in rather than breaking into the music audio lines? Is it important to you to maintain the OnStar?

I thought that the Parrot output was for speaker level signals, not line level. Did this create any problems? Did you attenuate the signal any? Was there enough volume?

I am not really wanting to mount another unit and am wanting to do commands and such either thru voice or on the phone. Will the Parrot let you do this?

One thing I am considering is just hard wiring the phone in. I usually connect the power anyway. The hard part with that is getting the interrupt working so that if listening to a CD and a call comes in.

Any input on replacing the mirror with one that has nav, bluetooth and a back up camera?
Car Navigation - MN312S -- Rydeen

Steve

I have no experience with that particular unit so can't really speak to that. It may fit what you are looking to do. One thing that I want that is important is for the OEM music system to at least mute automatically on an incoming call. That may or may not be important to you, I don't believe this unit is capable of doing that.

Many of these type units have limited speaker volume. Since this is a replacement and not an overlay, you are loosing your map lights, right? I would pay particular attention to getting the correct mirror mount.

Today I found a small WiFi camera that will work with a wireless interface to my phone and am going to do some testing with it.

Thanks again for the thread, it brought a few thoughts to mind and may very well be the approach I take. Do you mind a couple of questions?

Is there a reason you did the interface behind the head unit rather than at the amp, which I think is easier to get at?

I originally started with an adapter cable which claimed to be for an 04-06 SRX, whose Nav/radio wiring is identical to ours. That cable turned out to be seriously incorrect. I rewired it to work, and at that point discovered that any connection between the radio and cd did not override the cd output. Also, I needed to pull the radio out to place the parrot box behind (and now alongside) the radio.

Did you consider using the mute and the OnStar audio in rather than breaking into the music audio lines? Is it important to you to maintain the OnStar?

I thought about it, but looking at all the connections it appeared that the Class II network bus was involved in too much of this. I had the onstar trial active at the time and had not yet decided if I wanted to keep it (As in, might they offer a good deal to not let it lapse.).

For what it's worth, even being directly wired into the cd-to-amp connections, the incoming Onstar marketing calls overrode my music.

I thought that the Parrot output was for speaker level signals, not line level. Did this create any problems? Did you attenuate the signal any? Was there enough volume?

For whatever reason, it works fine. Setting the Parrot volume to about 70% of its scale yields the same volume as the car radio so switching between Parrot and radio/cd I don't have to change the car's volume setting. I expected to have to work on an impedence match but it was not necessary. I'm not an audiophile but it sounds fine to me. (Anyone coming to central Florida, PM me and we'll arrange a listening.)

I am not really wanting to mount another unit and am wanting to do commands and such either thru voice or on the phone. Will the Parrot let you do this?

Parrot accepts commands through its own microphone. I have a very basic cell phone and have never tried to use its voice recognition. You probably need to ask Parrot.

One thing I am considering is just hard wiring the phone in. I usually connect the power anyway. The hard part with that is getting the interrupt working so that if listening to a CD and a call comes in.

That's exactly how this setup works. The Parrot is its own mute box, so if you are not using the phone and not playing music, the regular radio and cd work normally. On an incoming call or access to the phone book, the radio/cd audio is shut off and the parrot audio goes to the amp. Note that if a music source is connected to the parrot when you start the car, you will need to press the parrot's pause button to switch it off so you can listen to the radio/cd.

Since this is slightly off-topic from the backup camera discussion I'll also post this to the thread about the parrrot install so it becomes part of that thread. If you wish to reply please do so in the other thread. Thanks.

There are a couple of options I am investigating. A overlay on the mirror.....

I am remiss for not bringing this up earlier. One of the CTS guys (Bojangle) on CF did a full install write-up on installing an OnStar mirror with rear view monitor (GNTX-657).

20120219_153107.jpg

Just more info.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry