Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR

No I don't but most 'car dealers' do not do the work on the audio systems, they work with a local Automotive Audio specialty shop so ask the service writers at your nearest Cadillac dealer who they use, then go talk to them and see if you like them etc. At least that shop should know about the Cadillac systems and how they sync in with the ECM and electronic processors of your car.

all of them will tell you they know how to do it. Be careful as it can cost you if they don't.

And to add to What LT Sally said, after putting in my new Sony system, with rear-view camera, built in radar jam/ detectors the works—you do not, as many have said in various posts, need to keep the original radio BUT you do have to keep the original amp—as that's what feeds the signal to the ACC—so if you want cruise control keep the amp, it has a proprietary signal to make the cruise work. I actually got a new more powerful amp but still had to parallel wire in the old amp regardless...new system is awesome and everything works just as it did before and everything is in the dash (or behind the double DIN). Good luck.

Crutchfield sent a kit with wiring, moules, faceplates, instructions, etc specifically for the XLR.
Keeping my fingers crossed. Trying to find an experienced installer near Venice, FL.

I have a Kenwood DNX696S with Axxess ASWC-1 installed. I don't use a mobile phone. I was told that all OEM functions wold work but the Voice/SCRL button doesn't work. I was hoping to be able to use voice commands with the unit for Nav, Radio, etc. Maybe I was expecting too much since I am not familiar with electronics after tube radios. The radio controls on the wheel work fine.

I have a Kenwood DNX696S with an ASWC-1 controller. The Push to Talk/SCRL Button doesn't work.
Does your work? I may need a different setup.
Thanks, Ron

I have a Kenwood DNX696S with an ASWC-1 controller. The Push to Talk/SCRL Button doesn't work.
Does your work? I may need a different setup.
Thanks, Ron
Ronald,

Yes, the Push to Talk just connects me to Siri in ApplyPlay and the SCRL takes through the various parts of the audio, cd, radio, phone, AppleCarplay, etc The Vol works on the new DD for radio, phone or CD, etc and the channel button goes through the radio stations or tracks on. CD...so everything works except the radio station no longer comes up on the HUD...who cares. Here is a couple pics of the installation We installed a Sony XAV-AX210 and a new amplifier keeping the old amp, as mentioned, wired in series

i 6C3B44F3-2282-429E-B521-248E77DB203B.jpg

Attachments

• 9DC5A531-631F-44C4-9EDD-9A6EABB939B4.jpeg
    9DC5A531-631F-44C4-9EDD-9A6EABB939B4.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 264
  • 3E57260B-3F4C-4833-9CD1-4284B125236E.jpeg
    3E57260B-3F4C-4833-9CD1-4284B125236E.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 271
  • EC4C8AB9-ADE1-44FD-A8F0-B98ACD55FBF4.jpg
    EC4C8AB9-ADE1-44FD-A8F0-B98ACD55FBF4.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 259
I had a Kenwood Excelon 696S installed awhile back.
When I go to SirusXM it says "Check Tuner".
I am thinking that the installer didn't connect the XLR receiver to the Kenwood.
I looked at hthe back of the OEM unit and there is no round plug like on the Kenwood.
Is there an adapter of some sort?
Thanks, Ron

I had a Kenwood Excelon 696S installed awhile back.
When I go to SirusXM it says "Check Tuner".
I am thinking that the installer didn't connect the XLR receiver to the Kenwood.
I looked at hthe back of the OEM unit and there is no round plug like on the Kenwood.
Is there an adapter of some sort

Thanks, Ron

Sounds like you didn't have them install the Sirius module that is required for Sirius reception. It's an add on module. If it was installed, you wouldn't get that message. The icon for it might be on your screen but that's all

The car has a SirusXM module from the factory.
The Kenwood has a round plug for the SirusXM
The OEM radio has different plugs.
I don't know which one was for SirusXM on the OEM radio but there is no round plug.
I was hoping there is an adapter cable so I don't have to cut things up.

You're not understanding. The Kenwood unit requires a Kenwood Sirius module. It has the cable that will plug in the back end of the 693 head unit.

So the module that came in the car from the factory won't work?
Is there a way to use the original antennas that are located in the mirrors?

So the module that came in the car from the factory won't work?
Is there a way to use the original antennas that are located in the mirrors?

Correct - You cant use the OEM receiver- you have to buy a new one... its like $40 or something.

You can use the OEM antennas, but the connector is behind the storage compartment between the seats - so unless you locate the new tuner where the OEM tuner is, it'll be difficult to get the antenna hooked up. You'l have to find an extension cable for the tuner, or for the antenna...

In my install I just ditched XM entirely since I don't subscribe to it and mainly listening to BT streaming.

Ronald,
Rexter (as usual) is correct, each brand of radio (Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, whatever) each have their own proprietary module/connector to get to Sirrus/XM, but that typically does not come with the DD radio, it is an additional option and I know for my Sony it was not cheap...for some reason?!

Ronald,
Rexter (as usual) is correct, each brand of radio (Kenwood, Sony, Alpine, whatever) each have their own proprietary module/connector to get to Sirrus/XM, but that typically does not come with the DD radio, it is an additional option and I know for my Sony it was not cheap...for some reason?!

This is not true... SiriusXM now makes one single SKU of tuner for all "SiriusXM Ready" stereos and they are all the same for all makes and models of aftermarket radios: model SXV300

Only older generation radios need vendor specific xm tuners - but they haven't been made in a few years... anything current needs the SXV300 - including the Sony XAV-AX210 you have - it is is in fact very cheap at $42 on amazon with prime - and it even includes the antenna

https://www.amazon.com/SiriusXM-SXV300v1-Connect-Satellite-Streaming/dp/B00NJTO4CY/r

And you can see how there was even a special SKU for the Sony-XAV-AX210 that included the SXV300 tuner for free... model XAV-AX210SXM

Sony XAV-AX210SXM DVD receiver with free SiriusXM satellite radio tuner at Crutchfield

Last edited:
This is not true... SiriusXM now makes one single SKU of tuner for all "SiriusXM Ready" stereos and they are all the same for all makes and models of aftermarket radios: model SXV300

Only older generation radios need vendor specific xm tuners - but they haven't been made in a few years... anything current needs the SXV300 - including the Sony XAV-AX210 you have - it is is in fact very cheap at $42 on amazon with prime - and it even includes the antenna

Robot Check

And you can see how there was even a special SKU for the Sony-XAV-AX210 that included the SXV300 tuner for free... model XAV-AX210SXM

Sony XAV-AX210SXM DVD receiver with free SiriusXM satellite radio tuner at Crutchfield

Crutchfield shows that model has been Discontinued
5bdb1c75a91eddf3aa1fe1b3c30340c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry