Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Battery Questions

WAM

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Crimson Red
Hello,

I just purchased an XLR and I'm in the process of getting things where I want them to be.

One thing is that even though the battery looks new I have no way to tell its age. I decided on a Odyssey Battery. I used search for some information.

I have a BATTERY TENDER hooked up with the positive attached to the fuse box input and the negative attached to the frame, so there is no connection directly to the battery.

One question is If I leave the BATTERY TENDER attached while I replace the battery will the TENDER supply enough voltage to allow the car to retain settings for radio and etc ?

Apparently a 9 volt battery is enough but I don't know if the TENDER will serve the same purpose.

Last question Odyssey's website says that you need to use a different charger for their batteries vs chargers used for regular batteries. So I wonder if a BATTERY TENDER will function properly with the Odyssey battery. I have sent this question to Odyssey but they have not answered. Does anyone here know the answer ?

Thanks for any help, Bill

Last edited:
I would ask Odyssey about the Tender question.

odyssey has a list somewhere of approved tenders. they like very high amp tenders ,
but in reality that would only be used in situations when the battery is deeply discharged.
your tender should be fine.
i happen to be using a battery minder 12248. it is way undersized for our batteries based on their recommendations,
but since its only ever trickle charging, its fine.
maybe your tender takes a day to fully charge the new battery initially, instead of 1 hr.
but after that it will spend 5 min charging and then go into float mode.
a high amp charger is sometimes used on discharged batteries to shock the battery into accepting full charge again.
odyssey claims that their battery can handle more deep discharges, so then might need a high amp charger to shock it back to life...
your will hopefully never be that discharged, since you have a tender:)
if necessary you can also hook up a heavy duty battery charger instead of the tender if that ever happens. if you have a HD charger.
or go to any shop they will hook it up, slip them a $20 tip.
your alternator also provides a high amp charge every time you drive. so between the driving high amp charge and the tender low amp trickle
the battery is receiving all teh necessary charging profiles:thumbsup

tender may not like being used as a battery source. car may not like it either.
do you have a booster pack you can clip on instead , without the tender plugged in ?
or rig a 9V to a cigarette plug and plug into center console socket. i think that one stays live when car is off.
fyi i didnt use anything, had battery out for 1 or 2 hours.
didnt lose anything except window indexing.
seats and radio memory stayed.
also be aware the car may act funny at first time you try to start.
i had to open and close door a few times, and pop key into slot in glove box a few times to get it to recognize.
after the first time it started it never did that again.
not sure if it was due to battery being removed, or if my fob battery was dead.
i did replace the fob battery soon after cuz it kept saying "no fob detected"
i definitely had a bad fob battery at the time...
is the odyssey installed yet?

lextoy,

Thanks for the information.

I will be ordering tonight. I wanted to read some replies from this tread first.

The car won't be in use for about 3 weeks. The front bumper cover has a few minor marks so it will get spot painted. New wheels and tires get mounted next week and I want to give it a super good clean up.

won't drive it until it is looking its best.

Bill

just noticed you are pretty close by! i am in king of prussia.
now theres 3 of us in suburban philly on xlr-net.
congrats
who do you have for touch ups, spot painting, nicks , chips , etc. ?
i have a tiny chip in my roof, i dont want to repaint the whole panel,
just a tiny touch up.
but i want it to look like it was never there, most touch ups are too obvious.
kinda need to dab the paint in until it fills the chip, then let dry, then compound it smooth...
i figured i would get it done someday when i need to get something else painted, touched up,
but that could be years!!
ever heard of Carisma ? exton i think. had them do some work on my benz but it was a full bumper paint a long time ago.
nice work, but dont recall if they would do just a chip touch up...

I have used CARISMA in the past to do paint less dent removal and they did a super job. you should call to se if they will do the job for you.

I use a local auto body shop, LC Auto body, on RT 30 about a mile from me. I know the owner and they do nice work. I don't know how they would handle your problem. They did a blend on my Viper front bumper cover and you can't tell. They blend the color and clear the complete panel I believe. Labor and paint is not cheap but I want the car looking right.

I'm about 18 miles west of Exton.

just noticed you are pretty close by! i am in king of prussia.
now theres 3 of us in suburban philly on xlr-net.
congrats
who do you have for touch ups, spot painting, nicks , chips , etc. ?
i have a tiny chip in my roof, i dont want to repaint the whole panel,
just a tiny touch up.
but i want it to look like it was never there, most touch ups are too obvious.
kinda need to dab the paint in until it fills the chip, then let dry, then compound it smooth...
i figured i would get it done someday when i need to get something else painted, touched up,
but that could be years!!
ever heard of Carisma ? exton i think. had them do some work on my benz but it was a full bumper paint a long time ago.
nice work, but dont recall if they would do just a chip touch up...

If this chip is back right or left a couple of inches in from the back and side, make sure there is a screw inside when the the top is stowed in the trunk, maybe touching causing the chip! Check this before touch up or it chip it again! There is a post here in the forum about the adjustment for this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

yup. that was the chip!
it was touched up a bit, by previous owner. or dealer.
i have since fixed the loose top issue when top is down.
and dremeled the offending bolt and put rubber caps and furniture pads
on all possible metal points that could chip the top.
all thx to the excellent info on this site!
my chip is so tiny its barely noticeable, but its right where i can see it on the drivers side roof.
so every time i walk up to the car, i check it out:ugh:
i guess i am a bit ocd...

Odyssey Ultimizer

One thing is that even though the battery looks new I have no way to tell its age. I decided on a Odyssey Battery. I used search for some information.

Last question Odyssey's website says that you need to use a different charger for their batteries vs chargers used for regular batteries. So I wonder if a BATTERY TENDER will function properly with the Odyssey battery. I have sent this question to Odyssey but they have not answered. Does anyone here know the answer ?

I figured that once I spent the $$ for an Odyssey Battery, I'd go ahead and spring for the Odyssey Ultimizer. It's a really nice unit, shows the voltage and % charge. It's the unit that Odyssey recommends as well.

I have another car with an Odyssey Battery in it, so I get double usage from it.

MVC-005F-1.jpg

I have received two responses from Odyssey. I asked twice if a BATTERY TENDER would maintain an Odyssey battery. The two replies follow:

Reply 1 .....

Bill –

We do not support Battery Tender maintainers because they float charge at 13.2V and our float range is 13.5V to 13.8V.

We recommend the following charger / maintainers –

Schauer model SW121060 Rev 00
Battery Minder model 12248-AA-S3 Rev A
CTEK model MUS7002, use the snowflake setting for ODYSSEY.
Enerwatt model EWC12-248, use the 8 amp setting.

Bruce R. Essig
ODYSSEY National Program Manager
Office: 660-429-7506
Fax: 660-429-1758
Cell: 816-668-6676

Reply 2 ......

Hello Bill,

Thank you for contacting EnerSys/ODYSSEY.

Only if it floats between 13.5-13.8V at the battery terminals. At less than 13.5V the battery is pulled down and maintained in an undercharged state causing sulfation and premature failure. If the charger you have does not float between 13.5-13.8V it is not compatible and will cause premature failure. Here is the link to the ODYSSEY program approved charger listing. http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEY_approved_12V_chargers.pdf

Sincerely,

Kathy Mitchell
ODYSSEY Sales/Support Representative
Phone: 660-429-7551
Toll Free: 888-422-0317
Fax: 660-429-6397

i guess it depends how often you are gonna drive it... TENDER is a bit under voltage...
but driving frequently obviously will bring it up.
perhaps keep your eye open for a recommended charger online around black friday / cyber monday !

also i have seen deals from odyssey directly on their website for their batteries AND chargers,
check their site frequently for charger discount, if you wanna go for the gold standard:)

if its worth it you could ask them if their 6 amp charger is ok to use on their bigger batteries,
or do you really have to get the 25 amp charger.
since you really only ever going to use it for trickle charging, 6 amp is ok ???
a 6amp unit on ebay right now for 60ish bux

Last edited:
I'm in a hurry so I bought the Battery Minder trickle charger that was recommended. $100 and it is on the way. The battery should be here about the same time. I should then be good battery wise.

You can plug one of these into your lighter socket. It has been reported that these work well when changing out your battery.
Powerbuilt 648539 Computer Memory Keeper
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004BW9J1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_cMn8vbSSDE47S

Mine did get disconnected for a few minutes when I changed mine out and it still retained all of the seat settings and radio stations OK. I did have to re-index the windows to get the top to operate.
Tim

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NO NEED TO BUY ODYSSEY BATTERY - WALMART EVER START BETTER ALL ROUND VALUE

Hello,

I just purchased an XLR and I'm in the process of getting things where I want them to be.

I have a BATTERY TENDER hooked up with the positive attached to the fuse box input and the negative attached to the frame, so there is no connection directly to the battery.

One question is If I leave the BATTERY TENDER attached while I replace the battery will the TENDER supply enough voltage to allow the car to retain settings for radio and etc ?

Apparently a 9 volt battery is enough but I don't know if the TENDER will serve the same purpose.

If you haven't bought an Odyssey yet, don't! For just a little over $100 you can buy a Walmart Ever Start battery that is unconditionally guaranteed for three years and then prorated over the next two years and the batter has more cold cranking amps than the original. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE VALUE...PERIOD!

If you haven't bought an Odyssey yet, don't! For just a little over $100 you can buy a Walmart Ever Start battery that is unconditionally guaranteed for three years and then prorated over the next two years and the batter has more cold cranking amps than the original. YOU CAN'T BEAT THE VALUE...PERIOD!

I agree! I think $300 for a battery is overkill. Just bought the top of the line at Advanced Auto - $150. They install, using a setting saver, took 15 min. and I was gone with no problems!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom