Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Warning! Beware of loose wind restictor

06infraredxlr

My '06 has a lucite wind restrictor mounted on the roll bars and has always been well secured by it's velcro straps; however, I had the vehicle detailed recently and the detailer removed the restrictor to clean it. Apparently when he replaced it, the straps were not tightened sufficiently and the restrictor shifted slightly to one side.....just enough that when the top was raised the quarter window caught on the restrictor and the actuating rod that moves the window pulled out of the window frame and it bent the rod.
There is no way to re-attach this rod, even if it can be straightened, since it is attached to the window frame at the factory by riveting it in place. Also, the rod is made of pot metal and if you try to straighten it, it will crack and can't be welded, so you have to replace not only the rod, but the quarter window with rod attached. Good Luck!! The price from GM is atrocious: fortunately, I found one at Snyder Salvage in Holland, TX at a reasonable price (not many XLR's in salvage) and they are good people to deal with.
Moral: Keep your wind deflector firmly fastened and centered!!

My '06 has a lucite wind restrictor mounted on the roll bars and has always been well secured by it's velcro straps; however, I had the vehicle detailed recently and the detailer removed the restrictor to clean it. Apparently when he replaced it, the straps were not tightened sufficiently and the restrictor shifted slightly to one side.....just enough that when the top was raised the quarter window caught on the restrictor and the actuating rod that moves the window pulled out of the window frame and it bent the rod.
There is no way to re-attach this rod, even if it can be straightened, since it is attached to the window frame at the factory by riveting it in place. Also, the rod is made of pot metal and if you try to straighten it, it will crack and can't be welded, so you have to replace not only the rod, but the quarter window with rod attached. Good Luck!! The price from GM is atrocious: fortunately, I found one at Snyder Salvage in Holland, TX at a reasonable price (not many XLR's in salvage) and they are good people to deal with.
Moral: Keep your wind deflector firmly fastened and centered!!

Good to know! Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Dan Gouker

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry