Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! big electrical ( and Cadillac dealer) problems

gulflyer

My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR-V
I own a 2004 XLR which I purchased about 2 years ago. A few weeks ago I started getting a constant Stabilitrack caution light and shortly thereafter an ABS caution light. I drove the car very infrequently after that, waiting for a good time to take it to the dealer when the right window failed to go up all the way after putting the top back up. The window would go up maybe halfway, stop, then go back down. I took the car to the local Cadillac dealer (Sam Taylor Cadillac, Ft Walton Beach, FL ) to have the problems fixed. I was told the computer(s) for the Stabilitrac and ABS had an internal short and would have to be replaced and the window motor/ regulator for the right window would have to be replaced. Total bill around $2200. They made the repairs and I picked up the car. 2 days later the radio/nav system won't power up and then slews into the open position exposing the DVD slot and stays there. A day after that I try to roll up the left window and it freezes at about the half way mark and won't roll all the way up. Unbelievable. I take the car back to the dealer and the service dept says they don't know what's wrong with the radio/nav system and that I need a window motor/regulator for the left side and should consider buying a new radio. Who knows how much they would charge me for that work. Now I have to think something happened when the initial repair was made; ie when replacing the computers and other work that was done involving the electrical system. As I understand the XLR electrical system, everything runs through the same data bus. My question is this : Is it possible that something was done by the mechanic that inadvertently caused the later problems with radio/ nav and then the window? By the way - the fuse for the radio is good - it was the first thing I checked.

Certainly, it's possible and may even be probable, but I'd start with the battery and then the grounds
before I'd let them replace any more parts. Good luck.

The XLR has two data buses, a high and low speed. The Radio is the gateway between them. Unless your car was struck by lighting, the odds of so many components failing in such a short span of time is close to nil. As previously mentioned, verifying the battery and grounds (there are many) should be ruled out before replacing anything else. The problems you are experiencing may be the symptoms rather than the root cause.

CC :wave:

The XLR has two data buses, a high and low speed. The Radio is the gateway between them. Unless your car was struck by lighting, the odds of so many components failing in such a short span of time is close to nil. As previously mentioned, verifying the battery and grounds (there are many) should be ruled out before replacing anything else. The problems you are experiencing may be the symptoms rather than the root cause.

CC :wave:
Thanks for the replies guys !! I have checked the battery - I installed a new Optoma about 8 months ago and the leads and connections there are good. I tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it with no effect on the problems I'm experiencing. I'll try to have a talk with the tech at the dealer and see if I can get some feedback on whether all the grounds have been checked.

Bad grounds can cause a variety of odd problems. There are 6(-ish) grounds on the body of the car that, if corroded, will cause bizarre issues. I also had an issue with the satellite radio receiver putting voltage on the data bus, which made everything very wacky (until everything died).

Good luck - please let us know what the outcome is!

Last edited:
It makes sense that a bad ground could be the culprit. I just got back from the Cadillac service dept and spoke with the mechanic doing the work. I asked him about checking if it could be a bad ground and he said he had checked them with a 'halogen light' and they were all good. I asked if he had been to GM's XLR school and he said there was no such thing. He said he had been to the Corvette school and that the Corvette and the XLR were essentially the same car. Now I know both cars were built at the Bowling Green plant and have many similarities but his response did not inspire confidence. There is a mechanic at the dealership who has in fact been XLR trained and I have requested he have a look at the car. Electronically, are the Corvette and XLR really that similar?

Electrically, they are fairly similar.

Checking some things with a halogen light is nice - like paint. I personally use an ohmmeter to check electrical flow.

One has no idea what might lurk under an electrical connection unless one TAKES IT APART and cleans it. The cable/frame could be corroded/loose/falling apart where it meets the connector; you'd never know unless you took it apart.

Yes, it's a pain to do it, but it's the only way I know of to do it.

I asked if he had been to GM's XLR school and he said there was no such thing. He said he had been to the Corvette school and that the Corvette and the XLR were essentially the same car. Now I know both cars were built at the Bowling Green plant and have many similarities but his response did not inspire confidence.

That's BS. Ask that tech what they learned in "Corvette School" about the retractable top or the Adaptive Cruise Control!

Although there are lots of simularities between the two and shared components, they are many more differences.

I would certainly have less confidence in a Tech that was not XLR trained and certified.

I agree - I wasn't impressed by the mechanic - I'm hoping the XLR qualified mechanic will bring better results. I talked to the maintenance supervisor before I left the dealership today - he said he gave my car to that mechanic because he went to the ' Corvette School' and the cars were basically the same. I just nodded and said , right - put the XLR trained tech on it or I go somewhere else.

I agree - I wasn't impressed by the mechanic - I'm hoping the XLR qualified mechanic will bring better results. I talked to the maintenance supervisor before I left the dealership today - he said he gave my car to that mechanic because he went to the ' Corvette School' and the cars were basically the same. I just nodded and said , right - put the XLR trained tech on it or I go somewhere else.

:blinzel:LIKE, LIKE, LIKE:blinzel:

Well, it's a healthy distance away from you, but I strongly recommend Huston Motors in Lake Wales, Fl. They have a very good service department when it comes to XLRs.

What was the out come of your problem?

The dealer's senior XLR tech looked at the car and came to the same conclusion as the other mechanic. He insists it's not a grounding problem. I took the radio/ nav unit and sent it to an electronics repair outfit in CA that is certified for GM repair work. They should be able to determine if the problem is with the unit itself and then repair it. I also had the dealer install a new door motor/ regulator. In the meantime I had to leave town for my job - will be gone the next 2 weeks. In any case I should know the outcome by the time I return. The dealer service dept now owns the problem - they guarantee the work for the next year.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom