Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

BlueStar

Does the onstar have to be active to have this work ?

No. Using this module makes your OnStar not work. I have 04 with the old analog OnStar and I'd rather spend the money for this than upgrade to the digital version.

I'm thinking of adding the BlueStar handsfree module to my car. Does anyone have a pic of where the OnStar VCIM (Vehicle Communications Interface Module) is so I can hook to it?
http://www.costartech.com/pb/products/bluestar.html
Thanks
I have the latest unit and can say it is a bit buggy. It discharged the battery when installed as delivered and I had to change the firmware to an older version using a free utility and a downloaded file via USB.

Sometimes it does not switch over correctly when answering calls. Something I am trying to troubleshoot now.

It took some adjusting (using a PC) of the settings to get rid of an echo problem.

Certainly not a plug and play install. On my 2008 the module can be accessed from the trunk. It on the right side near the front of the trunk behind the trunk liner.

HTH

I bought a bluestar last year. Same problems. Dead battery, connects sometime, sometime it doesn't. disconnects sometime, sometime it doesn't. many firmware updates. a lot of my time. Don't waist your money, or you will waist your time. I really wanted it to work but I finally sent it back.

Thanks for the info. I WAS going to pull the trigger but happy to learn from others. Im feelen the love ! Thanks again

bluestar

Been along time since I have seen any posts on the bluestar replacement for the onstar. Costar has it on their website. Has anyone ever gotten one to work properly on an XLR.

I am still looking for a good Bluetooth system for the car that doesn't add external jacks, mics. controls, etc. Would really like to be able to use the on star buttons.

Thanks Jim

Good luck. I ended up removing mine. I'll live with the very small sized push button unit for a quality system that works.

Been along time since I have seen any posts on the bluestar replacement for the onstar. Costar has it on their website. Has anyone ever gotten one to work properly on an XLR.

I had to hack the hell outta Phrede's to keep it from draining my battery. Never got my audio in hack to work so went another direction with that.

Bluestar, continued

Most of the posts about this unit are from 2011, so I am not yet ready to give up. They have an updated unit and claim that it works better. Is there anybody with any recent experience with the NEW and IMPROVED Bluestar unit. Still reluctant.

Most of the posts about this unit are from 2011, so I am not yet ready to give up. They have an updated unit and claim that it works better. Is there anybody with any recent experience with the NEW and IMPROVED Bluestar unit. Still reluctant.

In order to answer your question the date when they changed the design is needed. Mine was "new and improved" according to them when I bought it.

Don't know of any companies that upgrade products for a vehicle that is not even made anymore? I would guess their new improved unit is the same one Phrede received and couldn't get it to work satisfactory. If you check Phredes other solution for Bluetooth, I think you'll find that a better solution.

Blue Star

I just bought my 2005 and I have a friend that owns a radio store and he is looking in to a unit that will work with our radios when he finds what works I will let y'all know:wave:have a nice night Y'all

Good luck. Many have tried many different things for many years. Be sure to not get sucked into the thinking that what works for a Corvette will work on an XLR. The best working solution to add bluetooth (including A2DP) so far is the BTC455.

If you choose to go with the blue star unit might as well buy a battery now and have it ready. There are other similar units to the BTC455 that will work with the Kawai interface. IMHO they are inferior with lesser audio quality.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom