Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Brake Claiper Moving! Grinding/clunking sound!

hcloud13

My XLR/V(s)
2004 Silver XLR
Hope someone can point me in the right direction, because I'm totally stumped.

So about a week ago my front LH/ Drivers side Brake caliper started making a horrible grinding/clicking sound whenever I hit my brakes.. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I'm going, or forward or reverse.
Had someone move the car so I could take a look and every time the brake is applied the entire caliper moves up about a quarter inch! Same in reverse .

I jacked up the XLR, Removed the caliper and rotor for inspection and found nothing visually wrong, then with the caliper off I noticed one the the Caliper pistons is not even with the other one, So I compressed the pistons and had someone hit the brakes, the lower piston was barely moving.

So I thought that was the problem and ordered a brand new Caliper. Installed it, bled the brakes, ect.. Took it for a test drive and it is still doing the same exact thing! What the hell!? Anyone ever have this problem? At this point I have no idea what it could be!

My only other guess it it's not getting enough pressure to that brake to fully compress?

Last edited:
brakes

Hope someone can point me in the right direction, because I'm totally stumped.

So about a week ago my front LH/ Drivers side Brake caliper started making a horrible grinding/clicking sound whenever I hit my brakes.. Doesn't matter how fast or slow I'm going, or forward or reverse.
Had someone move the car so I could take a look and every time the brake is applied the entire caliper moves up about a quarter inch! Same in reverse .

I jacked up the XLR, Removed the caliper and rotor for inspection and found nothing visually wrong, then with the caliper off I noticed one the the Caliper pistons is not even with the other one, So I compressed the pistons and had someone hit the brakes, the lower piston was barely moving.

So I thought that was the problem and ordered a brand new Caliper. Installed it, bled the brakes, ect.. Took it for a test drive and it is still doing the same exact thing! What the hell!? Anyone ever have this problem? At this point I have no idea what it could be!

My only other guess it it's not getting enough pressure to that brake to fully compress?
is the caliper moving on the bracket? is it loose? it should not be moving. or is the bracket loose. a partially plugged hose? also try tapping the caliper w/rubber mallet to see any rattling could be worn bracket or caliper pins. just some guesses. :dunno: Al

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom