Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

brake fliuid

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
The Cadillac dealer said my brake fluid was turning yellow, and needed to be changed. I worked as a mechanic for about 10 years, and the only reason to do that was because at the time, brake fluid was glycerine and alchohol, which absorbed water, making it neccessary to flush the system, and replenish it. Now they use DOT 5?, and whatever # it is, it is silicone. Does silicone turn yellow with age? Does it need to be changed when it does? What DOT number should be used??

Do I have to, or should I use, Mobil 5/30 in my 2005 XLR? There are a few other very good motor oils out there, one I can think of is valvoline. Castrol, and Pennzoil are also very good. I just purchased the car with 26,800 miles on it. If I wereto use Mobil which one? Sythentic?? or just regular old oil?

Brake fluid and motor oil

When my XLR was 10 years old, my technician, at the Cadillac dealer where my car was sold when new, recommended a change and flush of brake fluid. He has never steered me wrong and I had it done. By the way, he is a certified XLR technician.

XLRs came equipped from the factory with Mobil One 5W30 Synthetic. Every oil change for my XLR (usually done annually) has been with this oil. I also have a Mobil One Oil Filter installed at each change.

I don't see any reason to use anything else. :(

When my XLR was 10 years old, my technician, at the Cadillac dealer where my car was sold when new, recommended a change and flush of brake fluid. He has never steered me wrong and I had it done. By the way, he is a certified XLR technician.

XLRs came equipped from the factory with Mobil One 5W30 Synthetic. Every oil change for my XLR (usually done annually) has been with this oil. I also have a Mobil One Oil Filter installed at each change.

I don't see any reason to use anything else. :(

I do hope your brake fluid was not 10 years old. It should be replaced (fully flushed) every two - three years. As the XLR is a performance car, every two years is indicated.

I do hope your brake fluid was not 10 years old. It should be replaced (fully flushed) every two - three years. As the XLR is a performance car, every two years is indicated.

I don't know how old it is, as I just got the car; but I'm going to "flush it like a toilet!"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom