Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Important! Brakes gone wild!!

Update: Service Stabilitrak and Wild Braking

It's been nearly 2 months, and I wanted to let you know what has happened.
A very knowledgeable XLR Tech has gone through the electrical circuits, and, over the phone has worked with a GM Engineer to resolve this issue completely and correctly. We agreed I'd pick the car up on 7 Aug. He had driven the car close to 200 miles without an issue. I drove from Las Cruces to home in El Paso on that day (about 22 miles) Friday and determined to drive it as much as possible before my Wife returned home on Sunday evening. I had no re-occurence of the service stabilitrak message, or especially, of one of the front brakes momentarily locking involuntarily.
Had my Wife take it to her office Monday, no event(s). Then Tuesday she drove it to the office again (it's about 8 miles).
Several minutes after she left, she called. The service light came on again, but no brake lock. She was afraid to drive it and insisted I bring her one of the other cars. When I switched vehicles and drove it home, I had no issue.
The following day I drove about 3 blocks to an auto store for some wax product and got the service message. Returning to the house, just before I turned onto my street, the left front brake locked and released.
Now, the Dealership has requested a GM Engineer to come to their store and work with them on the car's issue. He is to arrive this week, and we will see what happens.
I am working with the Tech, who is also the Service Dept Foreman, on documenting what he did during the first period in the shop, and then what all occurs during this next period. Hopefully, we can get this fully documented and the realistic cause and repair requirement for a more permanent fix posted on the Corvette and XLR forums.

Last edited:
It's been nearly 2 months, and I wanted to let you know what has happened.
A very knowledgeable XLR Tech has gone through the electrical circuits, and, over the phone has worked with a GM Engineer to resolve this issue completely and correctly. We agreed I'd pick the car up on 7 Aug. He had driven the car close to 200 miles without an issue. I drove from Las Cruces to home in El Paso on that day (about 22 miles) Friday and determined to drive it as much as possible before my Wife returned home on Sunday evening. I had no re-occurence of the service stabilitrak message, or especially, of one of the front brakes momentarily locking involuntarily.
Had my Wife take it to her office Monday, no event(s). Then Tuesday she drove it to the office again (it's about 8 miles).
Several minutes after she left, she called. The service light came on again, but no brake lock. She was afraid to drive it and insisted I bring her one of the other cars. When I switched vehicles and drove it home, I had no issue.
The following day I drove about 3 blocks to an auto store for some wax product and got the service message. Returning to the house, just before I turned onto my street, the left front brake lcoked and released.
Now, the Dealership has requested a GM Engineer to come to their store and work with them on the car's issue. He is to arrive this week, and we will see what happens.
I am working with the Tech, who is also the Service Dept Foreman, on documenting what he did during the first period in the shop, and then what all occurs during this next period. Hopefully, we can get this fully documented and the realistic cause and repair requirement for a more permanent fix posted on the Corvette and XLR forums.

Thanks for the update and hopefully now that they have call in GM Engineer they get fixed right! Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Ok...so I am NOT going nuts. I have experienced a similar issue several times since I got my XLR and even wrote a question about it here but was not accurately describing it. In mine it is only the right front tire that is locking up and pulling me hard to the right, but it has been primarily after a hard acceleration and then a right turn. Earlier this week I accelerated to the left out of my complex onto a main road and the right front started to grab and grind while I was still accelerating...which was a first. I went through an automated car wash this afternoon and it did it three time before I left the parking lot with each time the stabilitrack warning coming on, but always at a really slow speed. I shut it down and restarted her and it went away. This evening I was playing with the manual mode on a curvy two lane road doing hard braking going into the corners and hard accelerations coming out and it never acted up once.

This thread has gotten me concerned...because I cannot make it consistently act up, and it is ONLY my right front, not all of them. :rolleyes:

I just realized that my steering wheel hasn't been lifting up out of the way when I turn the car off and exit for the past few months.
Probably a good thing, because that might cause extra wear on the parts.
Might be wise for folks with 2004-2008 to disable this feature?

Disappointed that GM has not performed a mandatory safety recall. It is SCARY as hell when it happens and very dangerous.

Can you tell me how you disable this?

Thanks

Ok...so I am NOT going nuts. I have experienced a similar issue several times since I got my XLR and even wrote a question about it here but was not accurately describing it. In mine it is only the right front tire that is locking up and pulling me hard to the right, but it has been primarily after a hard acceleration and then a right turn. Earlier this week I accelerated to the left out of my complex onto a main road and the right front started to grab and grind while I was still accelerating...which was a first. I went through an automated car wash this afternoon and it did it three time before I left the parking lot with each time the stabilitrack warning coming on, but always at a really slow speed. I shut it down and restarted her and it went away. This evening I was playing with the manual mode on a curvy two lane road doing hard braking going into the corners and hard accelerations coming out and it never acted up once.

This thread has gotten me concerned...because I cannot make it consistently act up, and it is ONLY my right front, not all of them. :rolleyes:

WOW, this whole issue has my attention BUT Seriously: you took it through an automated car wash??? I won't even let my dealer wash the car if I take it in for service. NO ONE touches my XLR's body except my son (who 'set me on the right track' and is a "paint maintenance fanatic" for lack of a better description) and occasionally I let my hubby wash it.

SERIOUSLY

WOW, this whole issue has my attention BUT Seriously: you took it through an automated car wash??? I won't even let my dealer wash the car if I take it in for service. NO ONE touches my XLR's body except my son (who 'set me on the right track' and is a "paint maintenance fanatic" for lack of a better description) and occasionally I let my hubby wash it.

I believe of these two issues, THE BRAKES LOCKING UP would be of greater concern to most.:dunno:

I like how your family thinks!

My dealer automatically washes cars when they are serviced so I made "silly signs" saying "do not wash or wipe" that I put in the cars when I take them. They tease me about it & it's gotten to be a big joke, but it's effective - they normally send out free car wash thank you cards & marked mine out to be an oil change. :laugh:

You issue may have something to do with some wiring around the steering wheel, especially given your dash work & the prior accident - I hope Chicago Dave can chime in, he had something similar my dealer fixed on our Va. Beach trip, & I cannot remember exactly what was wrong. Our service writer told me about it, so I could check with her - something under the dash had not been reconnected correctly & was causing problems on turns. I don't think he was getting stabilitrack warnings though.

I like how your family thinks!

My dealer automatically washes cars when they are serviced so I made "silly signs" saying "do not wash or wipe" that I put in the cars when I take them. They tease me about it & it's gotten to be a big joke, but it's effective - they normally send out free car wash thank you cards & marked mine out to be an oil change. :laugh:

My dealer actually has those signs and they stick them on the dash. Apparently they must have enough car owners who are actually particular how their car is handled. I just took it in two weeks ago as my Air Bag light was on. They forgot to remove the sign as it was tossed on the seat: as was the cloth that was under my seat and hat that was tucked in alongside the seat....(they removed the seat to source the problem).....so it was hiding & I didn't notice it until I was half way home. I will drop it off next time I am near the dealer....being the 'good girl' that I am!
:angel

Attachments

• 20150905_173953_2_resized.jpg
    20150905_173953_2_resized.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 229
I believe of these two issues, THE BRAKES LOCKING UP would be of greater concern to most.:dunno:

Absolutely Brakes Locking Up is the greater concern...... but an automated wash??? :buttslap: I actually took mine thru one just after I got it: but before I had the paint properly cut & polished, and since then hand wash only at home and once its fully dry - a detail wax following every wash. No one can believe it is a 6 year old factory paint job. SO considering this, I will give him a 'pass' on this for now.....:thumbsup

It's really not TOO bad and is really odd how I started using this place. After reading on here about all the water issues leaking in the rear, I placed paper towels in the rear under the seals so I could spot any leaks and ran it through a local wash that I have used on many vehicles in the past without incident. Then I used a chamois and wiped all the water off and opened the rear, there was no leaking and the wash had done a really good job.. So now, I run it through on Friday afternoons and i carry my chamois in the trunk to try her. To be totally transparent, I have an appointment with a local detailer that specializes in luxury car details (usually a couple hundred grand in cars in his shop at any given time) and after he finishes, I will not be running her through the quickie any more.

Can you tell me how you disable this?

Thanks

Disabling StabiliTRAC became my preferred work-around since the yaw sensor, steering wheel position sensor, steering wheel connector, wheel speed sensors, and ABS were fine. To disable it, hold the Traction Control switch down. First Traction Control will be disabled, followed by StabiliTRAC. The status messages will be displayed on the DIC.

You have to do this each time you start the car. You lose both of these features, but the brakes aren't intermittently applied when you least expect it.

PS: For at least the 2004 model year, you need to have the transmission selector in PARK to disable StabiliTRAC. Traction Control can be switched ON or OFF when in DRIVE.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
It's really not TOO bad and is really odd how I started using this place. After reading on here about all the water issues leaking in the rear, I placed paper towels in the rear under the seals so I could spot any leaks and ran it through a local wash that I have used on many vehicles in the past without incident. Then I used a chamois and wiped all the water off and opened the rear, there was no leaking and the wash had done a really good job.. So now, I run it through on Friday afternoons and i carry my chamois in the trunk to try her. To be totally transparent, I have an appointment with a local detailer that specializes in luxury car details (usually a couple hundred grand in cars in his shop at any given time) and after he finishes, I will not be running her through the quickie any more.
A little secret we learned while traveling! If we get stuck in a rain shower and need to open the trunk while there still standing large water bubbles all over the trunk, as we all know there is water drainage right into the trunk! So we keep 2 wiping chamois in behind the seats to pull out if need! Remember to only put dry ones in the bags and store them as wet and damp one can get musky!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Disabling StabiliTRAC became my preferred work-around since the yaw sensor, steering wheel position sensor, steering wheel connector, and ABS were fine. To disable it, hold the Traction Control switch down. First Traction Control will be disabled, followed by StabiliTRAC. The status messages will be displayed on the DIC.

You have to do this each time you start the car. You lose both of these features, but the brakes aren't intermittently applied when you least expect it.

PS: For at least the 2004 model year, you need to have the transmission selector in PARK to disable StabiliTRAC. Traction Control can be switched ON or OFF when in DRIVE.

Thanks CC - wasn't aware that I needed to hold down on the switch to disable both.

Griot's garage (among other vendors) sells squeegees designed to remove most of the water from a car, so you don't end up with soaked towels or chamois cloths. I always stored mine in the door pocket storage bin, for the situation you've described. It removed most of the rear deck water, and due to the many flat exterior panels that make the XLR so sexy, worked like a champ during routine washings.

Re: Brakes Gone Wild - Service Stabilitrak

This issue has happened to a number of cars; both XLR and Corvette. It seems to clamp the right front brake more often from posts I've read. However, it can also clamp the left. Mine was right first, then for quite some time after replacing the steering wheel harness, and it started acting up again, and was clamping the left front.

Be sure to have the dealer check their system to detemine the recall was performed on your car for the installation of the GM "tightening" comb (orange). If not, have them do it, unless you'd like to yourself. It's not difficult, just cramped depending on body size and, of course, age.

In your case, I hope it hasn't been yet, and it subsequently solves your issue. However, there are many for whom this has not been a final fix.
Good luck!

Back to the "brakes gone wild" - issue: have the dealer check to be sure the steering wheel position sensor is plugged in. You can have some weird things happen if it isn't.

Update to: Brakes Gone WIld

After receiving XLR back from the second GM Engineer (brought on-site by Dealer) evaluation and directed works, driving without issue has so far been successful for about 500 miles.
A more detailed description of all changes will be forthcoming once the Foreman / XLR Tech and I have agreed we feel it has resulted in a very positive outcome.
A short and general description of work done to resolve the issue is: 1) at least one connector was eliminated, 2) several lengths of wiring have been replaced and re-loomed, 3) some pins have been changed (I think with a different type), and 4) the wiring bundle was found to be a little close to a point in the exhaust system (believe in the tunnel area) and was reloacted further away.

There is high hope this current condition will continue, and, the detail of changes we put together will be a positive source of information to help others in our XLR community, and many more among the Corvette community who have been victims of GM's non-responsiveness and non-acceptance of the system flaws.

GM Customer Service representatives caught onto the thread in the corvette community some time back and have been following and communicating in the postings and activity with the Dealer and GM Engineers.

Link to Corvette Forum titled "Service Active Handling" - Service Active Handling - Consumer Action - Page 40 - Corvette Forum

Problem Resolved

After receiving XLR back from the second GM Engineer (brought on-site by Dealer) evaluation and directed works, driving without issue has so far been successful for about 500 miles.
A more detailed description of all changes will be forthcoming once the Foreman / XLR Tech and I have agreed we feel it has resulted in a very positive outcome.
A short and general description of work done to resolve the issue is: 1) at least one connector was eliminated, 2) several lengths of wiring have been replaced and re-loomed, 3) some pins have been changed (I think with a different type), and 4) the wiring bundle was found to be a little close to a point in the exhaust system (believe in the tunnel area) and was reloacted further away.

There is high hope this current condition will continue, and, the detail of changes we put together will be a positive source of information to help others in our XLR community, and many more among the Corvette community who have been victims of GM's non-responsiveness and non-acceptance of the system flaws.

GM Customer Service representatives caught onto the thread in the corvette community some time back and have been following and communicating in the postings and activity with the Dealer and GM Engineers.

Link to Corvette Forum titled "Service Active Handling" - Service Active Handling - Consumer Action - Page 40 - Corvette Forum

After reading these forums regarding the "Service Stabilitrak" a couple of years ago, I was not too concerned until resent searches turned up right front brake operations causing cars to veer sharply to the right unexpectedly. I read the technical service bulletin and the corvette site, and I was able to find GM part number 19179794. I ordered the part off of e-bay for about 6 bucks. It took me about 30 minutes to do the complete job with the actual removing the wire tie and inserting the clip taking less than 5 minutes everything else was removal of the close out panel and fitting myself under the dash. Problem has been resolved. It may just be me, but I had noted the week before the fix that it felt as though the car was riding stiff. After I completed the "Service Stabiltrak" work, the car seemed to have a more active magnetic ride control oh and no "Service Stabilitrak" message. This guy gave a really good step by step for the corvette fix, but it is applicable to the xlr: http://s680.photobucket.com/user/NVL...90872828214935 I hope this helps.

Attachments

• 06-02-35-002 Tech Bulletin for Stabilitrac Issue-1.pdf
    108.8 KB · Views: 194
Crazy car

Well gang the old gal upped and surprised me this morning. I stopped to fill up and made a right turn out of the station, accelerated and then the brakes went wild all by them selves .. freaked me out!! Called GM to report but no help just a sorry you are having this problem.. as an mechanical engineer for 30 years I consider this a design flaw!! not from wear or time. if the proper failure mode effects analysis was performed this cannot happen... this is definitely a design flaw and a safety issue. the service stabilatrack light came on as well as the traction control light.. however I shutdown and regained my composure and restarted the car.. no lights and the system seems to work fine.. but the thought of this happening at speed will be a concern as long as I own the car...
As much as I love this car I think it a goner a an new vette in my near future.. to bad this was the the most awesome car ever but I don't want to die in it or hurt some one else.. Just a heads up!!! :dunno:

My 04 did this too. At first just the stabilitrack. Then sometimes Traction control. Sometimes I get a whole list: Service Radar Cruise, Maximum Speed 80 mph {I was parked at the time) Service Fuel System etc. One time I shut the car off and doors etc locked and had no battery. After about thirty minutes the car revived. The brake issue happens more and more frequently

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom