Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! cat. converter question

david22

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Raven XLR
I have to replace my right side cat. convertor on a 2005 xlr base model.. Has anyone ever done so using either a Magnaflo, Flowmaster, or Walker cat. converter which i am told is certified for 50 states. If so, can I do so, and keep the original factory converter on the left, or would you recommend replacing both.. Any info. would be greatly appreciated, Thanks , David

Cat converter question

David 22
This spring I had a hesitation start in my V. It shook down to right cat plugged. Researching what was availiable I came up with the factory cast iron stainless cat or magnaflow stainless manifolds. I checked with directly with magnaflow and there left manifold was totally out of stock at that time. They gave me a production date but I couldn't wait that long and I was worried with the limited production of the XLR they would change there mind. I then went with the factory manifold and had it installed by a shop that is a friend of mine. I think it was four or five hrs of labor. The job put my V running perfect and I was happy with my decision. About a week later Magnaflow called me that they ran them early and they were now available. One other reason I went with factory was the factory bolt on heat shield could not be attached to the magnaflow. If I had to do it now I would go with both left and right (balance) magnaflow and a cat back system. One of the members did that and raved about the better performance. I believe he said he changed them himself in his garage with the car jacked up. Cadillac wants an arm and two legs to do this job because they take the engine out completely. If memory serves me correctly both magnaflows were cheaper than what I paid for the right OEM manifold. I was also told by Magniflow that the heat shield was not needed on there headers because the stainless headers do not produce the heat cast does. I did get a good deal on my OEM out of Rinker Gmc discount out of Michigan. I also found out that V and non V are the same manifolds.
Good Luck
V Happy:dunno:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry