Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Million Mile Question.. 2005 XLR Engine Light reset CYCLING

david22

My XLR/V(s)
2005 Raven XLR
Although I am dealing with a faulty rt. side cat. converter, my car runs perfectly and needs to pass smog. Engine light is on and shows pending code therefore I can not smog the car at this time which I need to do. After the engine light remains on for about 5-600 miles it goes off by itself. It has now reset itself is my understanding. I drive for 70-80 miles and the light comes back on for another 5-600 miles. I believe the second the light goes out on it's own, I can run to a smog shop and will most likely pass, as there will be no pending or codes showing up at that time. I am currently waiting for it to reset.
I heard that there are some trick ways to get the light to go out and reset faster on it's own . My friend learned this on his Honda 2000 forum, (same issue). He drives for x amount of miles on cruise. stops , re-drives. turns on a/c 3 times. Engages reverse gears at least 3 times, etc... you get my drift.
and this pattern although not the exact recipe, gets the car to reset much faster then normal driving time would dictate.
So here is the million mile question? Have any of you heard about this and is there a driving pattern that might accomplish this reset on my 2005 Base model XLR... (Aside from going to my mechanic for a quick reset).
Many thanks for any input on this matter..

Although I am dealing with a faulty rt. side cat. converter, my car runs perfectly and needs to pass smog. Engine light is on and shows pending code therefore I can not smog the car at this time which I need to do. After the engine light remains on for about 5-600 miles it goes off by itself. It has now reset itself is my understanding. I drive for 70-80 miles and the light comes back on for another 5-600 miles. I believe the second the light goes out on it's own, I can run to a smog shop and will most likely pass, as there will be no pending or codes showing up at that time. I am currently waiting for it to reset.
I heard that there are some trick ways to get the light to go out and reset faster on it's own . My friend learned this on his Honda 2000 forum, (same issue). He drives for x amount of miles on cruise. stops , re-drives. turns on a/c 3 times. Engages reverse gears at least 3 times, etc... you get my drift.
and this pattern although not the exact recipe, gets the car to reset much faster then normal driving time would dictate.
So here is the million mile question? Have any of you heard about this and is there a driving pattern that might accomplish this reset on my 2005 Base model XLR... (Aside from going to my mechanic for a quick reset).

Well I don't know about our XLR's but my 01 Ford Sport Trac light comes on, the codes runs as a bad gas cap, so I switched it out with a new one, anyways the light still comes on, I just unhook the battery cables and it goes out for awhile! It's a pain in the ass as it wipes out all the settings! Maybe worth a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David 22. Please let me know how you make out. They have started a new procedure for smogs in California and when I did mine last April I was told if there are no lights on you pass. This was even before you started the test.
John F.

Million mile guestion

David 22
i had a right converter code on my xlr this spring. Researching it in this forum it always seems to be the right. There has been a few owners that ran a guater tamk of gas with a cat cleaner (mr. gasket) That cured the problem on a few XLR 's. In my case it did the opposite it plunged the convert up that the car would hardly run. Ordered a right manifold converter OEM had it installed by a local repair shop that changed it in about four hrs. Then all was well. Cadillac wants to pull the engine to change the manifold which is rediculous. I think I ordered the new manifold from a GM discount sight for right around 850.00.
V Happy (Same manifold on V as yours):dunno:

David 22
i had a right converter code on my xlr this spring. Researching it in this forum it always seems to be the right. There has been a few owners that ran a guater tamk of gas with a cat cleaner (mr. gasket) That cured the problem on a few XLR 's. In my case it did the opposite it plunged the convert up that the car would hardly run. Ordered a right manifold converter OEM had it installed by a local repair shop that changed it in about four hrs. Then all was well. Cadillac wants to pull the engine to change the manifold which is rediculous. I think I ordered the new manifold from a GM discount sight for right around 850.00.
V Happy (Same manifold on V as yours):dunno:

I had read in a post here some time ago if you get the part number and search I think it was found on Amazon.com for about half the price! I did that with the shocks when I replaced the rear back in the spring got both R&L for a little over half price and they were AC Delco GM original OEM
No complaints here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry