Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Center Console Repairs

MGibson.MSO

When I purchased my 2007 XLR last summer, the metal trim around the center console showed some minor wear and tear (see pic). The only other XLR I’ve seen had similar blemishes, so I presume that it’s a common problem.

I want to avoid buying an entirely new console assembly, and I’m curious about my options for repair. I know there’s an aftermarket overlay available, but I’d like to keep the look original.

If the car was a seven-figure vintage Ferrari (and I love my XLR like it is), how would I go about restoring the console? Ok, there’s an easy answer: if I had a seven-figure Ferrari, I’d fork over the $900 for a new console. But you get my drift. Are there people with jewelry-making skills that might take on this kind of project? Who could I send it to for a show car worthy repair?

I’ll appreciate tips from the XLR faithful here on the forum. Thanks.

7df928a3be42e23a5909b8f982364f16.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That metal is a goner. The metal is cemented and crimped on the plastic cover. Even with a judicious use of a heat gun to loosen the cement, trying to straighten out the crimped area is almost a non starter. I'm not aware of anyone that repairs this.
The folding cover hinges were broken on my XLR, after about a year searching on ebay I found a replacement assembly for about 125$.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom