Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Check engine light

JCroegaert

Seasoned Member
Have had my 04 XLR for 2 months, 111,000 miles. Love the car. What are people's experience with check engine light? I noticed one other owner sharing frustration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had my 04 XLR for 2 months, 111,000 miles. Love the car. What are people's experience with check engine light? I noticed one other owner sharing frustration.

There are so many reasons you get a CEL you'll get an avalanche of responses on this one. Not just on XLR's but on other cars as well

Most CEL/MIL codes can be determined using a relatively inexpensive OBD II scan tool available at your local parts stores and online retailers. Some stores will even scan your car for you at no charge.

One of of the most common MIL causes is a loose gas cap (or a worn gas cap seal.) If loose, -after tightening, the MIL should extinguish within a few ignition cycles. If the seal is worn, a replacement gas cap is cheap and easy to install.

CC. :wave:

Last edited:
That's like chasing your tail ....Free or $190. To have Cadillac diog? What one will be spot on?

CEL:

I have had similar problem. I took the car to the only Caddy dealer near by several times and was repeatedly told it required a new O2 sensor at $200+ a pop. I finally found a former Cadillac service mgr (semi-retired) to diagnose the problem. He told me they were firing the messenger and not finding the cause. After checking everything he found all intake manifold bolts loose allowing air to enter the system where it shouldn't. He tightened them and reset all parameters and since then all has been fine. Maybe not your problem but that's my story. The take away is to find a competent technician you can trust. Not always easy.

First, Good luck. I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with my 2004. The Cadi dealer had it for 23 days. They first said I had a misfire and changed the wires. That did not work. Eventually they replaced the O2 sensors and that fixed it. Did they refund my money for the wires? Nope. Complained to corporate. Talked to 3 different people and in the end they said too bad.

I have learned quickly that this forum is the best place to help you.

First, Good luck. I feel your pain. I had a similar problem with my 2004. The Cadi dealer had it for 23 days. They first said I had a misfire and changed the wires. That did not work. Eventually they replaced the O2 sensors and that fixed it. Did they refund my money for the wires? Nope. Complained to corporate. Talked to 3 different people and in the end they said too bad.

I have learned quickly that this forum is the best place to help you.

Good going for a motor that has no wires. It is coil on plug.

The plug/coil still needs to get the power for them to work.

Harness, LEFT for 2006 Cadillac XLR|12602860 : GM Parts Direct: Your direct source for Genuine GM Parts

7b4002128b6ff4b32af09451e2787791.png

You might want to start a new thread since this is a completely different topic than Check Engine Lights being discussed in this thread.

By starting a new thread, a major benefit to all in the future is the topic can easily be found through the search function if someone has the same question. Otherwise, any answer will end up being buried within this thread.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
Check Engine Light

I have had my car about 5 years and twice this winter the engine light has come on. The first time in Nov the dealer found nothing and reset the light. It seems funny to me I have only had this problem since I put the Corsa exhaust system on. Tomorrow I will check the intake manifold bolts and see if the light goes off. If not I will leave it til next January when I have to have a CA. smog done. My dealer told me if the light was flashing you have a problem and if it's just on it's not a huge deal but being in CA. it will have to be turned off.
John F.

I have had my car about 5 years and twice this winter the engine light has come on. The first time in Nov the dealer found nothing and reset the light. It seems funny to me I have only had this problem since I put the Corsa exhaust system on. Tomorrow I will check the intake manifold bolts and see if the light goes off. If not I will leave it til next January when I have to have a CA. smog done. My dealer told me if the light was flashing you have a problem and if it's just on it's not a huge deal but being in CA. it will have to be turned off.
John F.

There was no code(s) found before your dealer cleared the CEL? Have you taken the car to a auto parts store? Down here you can take your car to on and they'll read the code but normally wont reset it unless you really ask them to

There was no code(s) found before your dealer cleared the CEL? Have you taken the car to a auto parts store? Down here you can take your car to on and they'll read the code but normally wont reset it unless you really ask them to

Thank you. My dealer found nothing. I will go to a Pep Boys or O'Reilly's tomorrow and ask them to reset the code.
John F.

Although I have a TECHII, I also have a bluetooth OBD reader that I use with an app on my phone called TORQUE. Plug up the reader, turn on the app on your phone and it will give real time information that is customizable, and will read and reset codes that are stored.
I use it on trips to keep an eye on things while driving.

Although I have a TECHII, I also have a bluetooth OBD reader that I use with an app on my phone called TORQUE. Plug up the reader, turn on the app on your phone and it will give real time information that is customizable, and will read and reset codes that are stored.
I use it on trips to keep an eye on things while driving.

I second that. It's a great app to have to give diagnostic info to your mechanic.

It will clear all codes if you wish, and there will be no CEL on until the car throws another code, then the light will come back on.

It will clear all codes if you wish, and there will be no CEL on until the car throws another code, then the light will come back on.

Great for clearing the codes right before emissions testing. [emoji6]

I second that. It's a great app to have to give diagnostic info to your mechanic.

I seen on amazon these bluetooth OBD readers ranging from $10 up to $100 ? Is it worth paying more for an expensive one or are they pretty much the same ??

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom