Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

COOLANT/WATER PUMP

kmariebox

My XLR/V(s)
2007 Raven Black
Just a general question... My coolant/water pump just went out on me and had to get it replaced. Just kinda curious what the heck could have caused that to happen or is it somewhat of a common thing? My XLR is an 07 and just under 20k miles on it. I'm guessing maybe 'age', or could it have to do with me living in Phoenix (the desert)?

Being mechanical, water pumps do give up the ghost on occasion. A number of factors can affect their longevity, but overall, the XLR's water pump doesn't seem to be one of the more troublesome components. 20k miles is pretty low, but nothing lasts forever. Did it squeal? (bearings) Leak? (Seals/housing) Lock up? (Bearings/internal component misalignment/failure.)

Luckily, it wasn't the water-cooled generator, located at the bottom of the engine. That's a major job and very expensive repair, it it's any consolation.

CC :wave:

I just passed 100K miles and I have had mine replaced twice now, one at 50 K and one just now. The car was mostly in Michigan, just moved to Louisiana. No indications here....

Hi CC, long time no chat :wave:

Yep, she gave up the ghost, no questions asked... The only indication I got was of course an hour away from home, pulling out of a parking lot & someone motioned to me to get my attention... She left a big o'l puddle of coolant underneath her. I was able to stop at an auto parts place just a mile away & get the right coolant. As I went to put some in, the level was fine. Scratching my head for a while, I decided not to add any, get back on the road & just watch my gauges closely. I drove 35 of the 45 miles I had to go and then my coolant light finally came on. Perfect timing because that left me within just a few blocks of my mechanic's shop. I was able to park it right under his security camera, leave a note for him inside of my car & leave my keys in the night drop-box. By noon the next day, my XLR had a new pump and was ready to be picked up. I'm still scratching my head though, as that whole ordeal went way to smooth for someone with my kind of luck- Ha ha!

Luckily, it wasn't the water-cooled generator, located at the bottom of the engine. That's a major job and very expensive repair, it it's any consolation.)

... YIKES! My thoughts exactly!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back