Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Courtesy Lights

Steve Lee

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
The little on/off button on the dash for courtesy lights doesn't work. The door and floor lights go on and off with the doors, but the mirror lights go on when door is opened, but not off with door closing! Is the on/off switch on inst. panel bad? Is there a relay or sensor for the mirror lights that is bad? I'm feeling like an orphan because no one is giving me any answers. I've searched U tube and googled it , but nothing.

You're not getting answers because nobody knows one, apparently. I don't. Check to see if they go off when you start the car up

Rexter, Thank you sir! No, the door lights go off, but not the mirror lights.The button on the dash(r /side) doesn't turn the lights off either! Also the floor light on the driver side goes on with door open, and off when door closes. Is there a floor light on the passenger side? if so I haven't noticed because no one has ridden in that seat lately. I'll open that door to check that out! Do you know what turns the courtesy lights on when the door opens? Where is that switch?

HI Steeve.

The switch '' ON and OFF '' on the dash RH side is for all interior lamps…...the floor courtoisy lamps ( LH &RH ) and the reading lamps on the mirror LH& RH, if the reading reading lamps are ON then when the doors are closed, the reading lamps will stay ON.

On the mirror, just close to the reading lamps lens are a pushon switche for each reading lamp, if they are OFF they will shut down OFF when closing the door, if they are ON…. it will stay on for 20 minutes.

When closing the doors the lights should comes OFF after 10 seconds, and when the theft system is on it will comes OFF after 20 seconds.

While warming my XLR today i have made this test and that is what i came out with.

IAN

In searching in my owner book for other informations, i found the following on the section 3 and the paragraph 33, in the own words of GM for the interior lamps.

IAN jreading lamps.jpgj s-l1600[1].jpg

Ian, the lights on the inside mirror are off, and do not come on when the doors are opened on my car, and the button on the right side of the dash, with the !/2 of a sun on it, won't turn them on or off! The floor lights, on the other hand work as they should: ON when the doors are opened, and off in about 6 seconds when the doors are closed.

Steve lee

It sounds that no power is coming in to the rear view mirror, the good news is that the floor courtesy lamps works as they should do.
The mirror lamps works usely together with the floor lamps as courtesy and also as reading lights.

Have you try to play with the mirror lamps switches to see if you get some reactions or not. Have you try to pry on the wires connector of the mirror for proper connection.
Then if the mirror lamps are dead it means that you could get a wiring problems , a skill electrictian would be able to tell you what could be the real problem.

On eBay there are mirrors available ( $200 - $450 )but you dont really know if you would get the same problem, the best solution is a Skill person or your Cadillac dealer.

Who knows it could be just some burned bulbs only or some wrong ones installed.

IAN

Quote: "Who knows it could be just some burned bulbs only or some wrong ones installed."

Possibility,,,,, but I have some doubt about that?

Another possibility maybe a **windshield glass was replaced and internal wires were pinched or broken when 'free swinging' while the new glass was being installed and mirror re-attached.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Side Note: When having a windshield replaced, be absolutely sure the installer is experienced and very familiar with Corvette & XLR procedure to remove/re-install the mirror assembly.
If not done properly the mirror mounting pin guide(s) can break, causing the mirror to 'wobble' slightly while driving. Very annoying!:mad:
Didn't happen to me, but have read many stories on the Corvette blogs about this occurrence happening. An inexperienced glass installer probably is not going to admit he did it wrong, and you will not know until he's done and you drive off ....... and you may not notice the 'wobble' at first. Deeply quiz the installer beforehand to see if he understands.....and make him (company) liable if this happens!!

Hi PURE ZEN.

Of course…. a pinched wire can stop the current coming from the floor lamps to the mirror lamps, that means that their would be no action at all for the mirror lamps.

A skill or a Cadillac dealer person with the proper tool can confirm the real defective component, that is my suggestion to Steve Lee.

The wrong bulb is only a possibility as we dont know enough of the real problem.

One thing that we know, is that the floor lamps works, that suggest that the system is OK but the mirror lamps are simply dead, as per the affirmation of Steve.

Thanks for your input.

IAN

The mirror reading lamps will turn on/off with the two buttons on the left and right lower edge of the mirror, but when they are in the normal, off position, they do not come on when the doors are opened; only the floor lamps work with the doors-on when opened, off when closed.For some unknown reason the mirror lights are not being turned on/ off with the doors. I think some automatic switch in the circuit for them is bad; but where is it????

OK,,, Now I understand the situation. That is complexing,,,there must be an answer but I don't have the solution, sorry.

Good luck

p z

Hi Steve.

Good news…. we get to know that the mirror lamps and their switches are working ON/OFF.

These mirror lamps have 2 functions, one as courtesy and the second one as reading lamps

Finally it remains, that it is only the power supply that is not working for the courtesy function of the mirror lamps.

PURE ZEN was suggesting a pinch wire, that make sens, or it could be a poor connector.

To come up to a solution, only a skill person or the Cadillac dealer would be able to really identified and fix the problem of the no current betwen the courtesy floor lamps and the courtesy function mirror lamps.

Good luck

IAN

Strangely, after this thread exchanges, the mirror reading/courtesy was blinking, after checking the led bulb, it was defective , put a new one and it stop blinking me.

IAN

Steve Lee.

If your name do not appears before the message…. that means it do not concern you.

Thank you.

IAN.

Somebody that has an XLR repair manual knows!! There must be be a timer or on/ff switch for the mirror lights that is bad. I googled my problem, and found "XLR forum threads" from quite a few guys that were having the same problem way back in 2012! Somebody must have had to go to Cadillac to get it fixed, or found out what was wrong and fixed it them self; but they are not talking!!! Unbelievable!! Somebody- Please speak up!! I don't want have to go to Cadillac and bring my vasoline!!

I remember reading somewhere that the mirror lights 'time-out' after 20 minutes. I'll try to find that but no promises.

I had that issue with my Corvette, mirror lights staying on,,,,,, but it had a switch knob on the left side of steering wheel on lower dash that my knee was hitting when exiting, causing the mirror lights to stay on.

The mirror lamps will come on when I push their individual buttons to turn them on. They just don't come on when those buttons are in the off position, and the doors are opened, only the floor lights come on and off with the doors. Why ???? Do those buttons on the mirror have to be in the on position to do that? I don't think so; they are only to read with, right?

They were timing out in about 20 minute at one time; but now the problem has changed? Please read my latest threads to see how it has changed. GREMLINS IN THESE CARS!!!

Ian, They don't go on or off with the doors.You talked about bulbs in a recant reply to me- The bulbs are both good, and I have never changed them. Prying on the connection at the mirror? Taking the mirror off? Are the wires long enough to take it off? How do I take it off! How to get at the connection?? Maybe the connection on the mirror is dirty! Would you be so kind as to send your phone number and time zone, in a PM. so we can discuss those questions I just posed?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom