Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Courtesy Lights

Ian., That's right; the power supply for the mirror "COURTESY" lamps Is not working! Map lights are fine! (They are only meant to work with the (2) push buttons on the lower edge of the mirror.)and they do!!

Hi Steve

The following photos worth more then thousands of words, if you decide to go forward and if you have the ability to execute the work.

Included is the wiring of a Corvette similar to the XLR, the front view of the mirror showing were the connector fits in ( the opening on the LH is the majic eyes for the headlights control ) and also from my workshop manual is a photo that shows how to remove the rear interior mirror.

A4  12189953-AXX001-3T[1].jpgA4  s-l1600[2] (2).jpgA4 1043529[1].png

Good luck
IAN

Ian, Thanks to you, I found the problem- Read my post of today at about 12.53 AM EST!! Do you know how to take the mirror off? I see you drawing , but it doesn't tell me if you have to twist it on it's mount, push it up, or push it side ways to take it down, or how to remove the wire plug(S) Thanks again my friend! Steve Lee

HI Steve.

Good news you have found the problem, congradulation.

The mirror head is hold by small metal tubings with pressure inside of the socket portion of mirror head.

As the drawing shows the narrows indicate a movement clockwise is needs to release it and then there is only a way to go off would be down way with a reasonable hands pressures.

The pressure metal tubing will go backward and off the round head of the bracket, hold on windshield frame, that safety feature is made for in case of an accident occur and of an impact of the inside passengers body.

As far is for the connector, it should come out by releasing the small plastic retainer with a small screw driver with reasonable pull away with your hands.

As far is that the mirror would not been flush with the windshield , it could be that the mirror head is not entirely in place and is hold partly by pressure metal small tubing.

Good Luck….you have the determination…. BRAVO.

IAN

Ian, I think that black plastic trim piece that covers the mirror's mount has to come of first; How does that come off??

Steve.

No tool is needed for removing it, it looks that it hang on the mirror and the moisture/rain sensor.

Next remove the connector and then the mirror arm by pushing it inward and turn it clockwise…. you will feel the release of the mirror when it will come out from its support.

IAN

Ian,
I tried to find your latest post on the forum, but no luck! Thankfully it came to my email.
Your first statement was : "No tool is needed for removing it, it looks that it hang on the mirror and moisture/ rain sensor." That statement doesn't make much sense to me.
Your second statement about actually removing the mirror does.

Please clarify the first statement; did you mean, "It looks like that plastic cover piece just hangs on the moisture /rain sensor??

Thanks for your kind reply!

Last edited:
Steve.

The photos and suggestions is what i can help, a present body man workshop would be more helpfull.

Enclose is a drawing that shows how to remove the cover.

Hope this will finally help.

Good Luck

IAN

A4    30[1] (2).png

Ian, Thank you for all of your kind help! Question: "This picture of the plastic cover that is on the wind shield,behind the mirror, shows the larger part of it is on the bottom, towards the dash; The cover on mine is the reverse -Larger part is at the top of the wind shield, is this because the picture you sent is of a Corvette part??"

Steve.

That is unusual, about photos of it to determine the whys and how, the drawing send to you is for the XLR.

IAN

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back