Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Cruise Control and

Agitated Monkey

I'm the proud new owner of my first XLR. It's a beautiful well maintained black/cashmere with 80k miles. Runs drives and looks like new. I have had multiple Corvettes and Cadillacs over the years. This car is best of both worlds.

However I do have a tech question. My cruise control will
not come on and the information system tells me the radar needs service. I have checked fuses. Any thought on where I go from there?

The easiest problem to fix would be if the bezel covering the radar module is obscured. It's the driver's side plastic smoke-colored cover. The passenger side cover is cosmetic only. Remove the cover by pinching the sides and pulling forward. Another possibility is the switch is bad (least likely if you're getting an error message) or the radar module is misaligned. It requires a special tool to align it properly.

Worst-case scenario: Your module is defective. I'm pretty sure these are no longer available. In that case, you would need to source one from a salvage yard. If you can find one, they can be pricey.

If the cover is clean on the inside and the radar module face looks good, you'll need to have a dealer scan the car to determine where the problem is.

CC

Last edited:
My 2005 XLR had a similar problem and the dealer discovered a bad sensor (part no. 890476990). Part was $27.00 and labor $99.00. Took care of the problem, but i didn"t have a service message.

The easiest problem to fix would be if the bezel covering the radar module is obscured. It's the driver's side plastic smoke-colored cover. The passenger side cover is cosmetic only. Remove the cover by pinching the sides and pulling forward. Another possibility is the switch is bad (least likely if you're getting an error message) or the radar module is misaligned. It requires a special tool to align it properly.

Worst-case scenario: Your module is defective. I'm pretty sure these are no longer available. In that case, you would need to source one from a salvage yard. If you can find one, they can be pricey.

If the cover is clean on the inside and the radar module face looks good, you'll need to have a dealer scan the car to determine where the problem is.

CC

Thank you. I will look at it and make sure it clean. I will also look at the sensor that sunshine mentioned. Thank you both.

My 2005 XLR had a similar problem and the dealer discovered a bad sensor (part no. 890476990). Part was $27.00 and labor $99.00. Took care of the problem, but i didn"t have a service message.

Do you know what the name of the sensor is? That part number doesn't list anything when entered into the GM parts database.

CC

Ahhh. . . That explains why I couldn't locate it: The second part number is different.

89047699 is for a Brake Pedal Position Sensor. Yours may have been stuck to the ON position. If the cruise control thinks the brake is applied, it disables.

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back