Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CUSTOM EXHAUST TIP

Finally -

IMG_0182.JPGThis Is taking longer than i expected! Finally, after trying three different shops, Ive found one Im very happy with.
This photo is a mock up fab'd of galvanized which allowed for the several changes made to the drawing we were working from. Got it like I want it now and final fabrication will be done next week. Using 16 ga stainless steel with a slightly polished mill finish. Decided not to use a mirror polish as I want to get close to the silver finish on the wheels and grille. Thought it would fit better than a high polish.
Hope to have it installed next week. Im really excited with the way its turning out.

IMG_0181.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 6177This Is taking longer than i expected! Finally, after trying three different shops, Ive found one Im very happy with.
This photo is a mock up fab'd of galvanized which allowed for the several changes made to the drawing we were working from. Got it like I want it now and final fabrication will be done next week. Using 16 ga stainless steel with a slightly polished mill finish. Decided not to use a mirror polish as I want to get close to the silver finish on the wheels and grille. Thought it would fit better than a high polish.
Hope to have it installed next week. Im really excited with the way its turning out.

View attachment 6178

When can I order mine?

When can I order mine?

WOW! I trust that means you like it. I have talked to the shop about making more if there is a desire, BUT - - don't know the cost yet. Worked with them on a NTE (not to exceed) basis as it required several changes thru-out the fabrication. Will know the final cost next week and see how they would want to price them now that the "work" is done. I'll post the price with finished photos next week.

Thanks Gizmo - - I'm really pleased that you like it.

ALMOST COMPLETED

Ok, here's the stainless steel product almost finished. About one more day for polishing/finishing and we'll be ready to install. I'm REALLY pleased with the way it's turning out. Note that he fab'd it with the proper angles both vertical and horizontal to match the contour of the bumper going across and down. Outlets (SS) will have pinch bolts so there will be no need to weld on to muffler pipes. Going to sandblast the whole unit and then polish the exposed "rim" flange but leave the center area with the sandblasted (matte) finish.
Hope to pick it up tomorrow and take to muffler shop to have mounted - going to need to extend/raise the existing pipes from the muffler. Still don't have finished cost yet. Will post later in case any of you are still interested.
SS Exhaust before polish 1.jpgSS Exhaust before polish 2.jpgSS Exhaust before polish 3.jpgSS Exhaust before polish 4.jpg

Getting installed tomorrow morning. Will post more photos.

Last edited:
Finished and Installed

FINISHED - - - got new tip installed this afternoon and think I'm liking it. Wish it could have been done without hanging so low beneath the bumper so as to have a smoother look like the 09's, but the 09's have a "ground effect" look style bumper that wraps the exhaust. This is about as good as I could do. Either way, to me, it looks better than the corvette style tips that come on these cars. Took photos of different angles so you get an idea of the overall fitment. Gonna look at it a day or two and see if I want to make any adjustments to the install - may want to slide it a little further in underneath the bumper.

See what you folks think.

Exhaust Installed 1.jpgExhaust Installed 2.jpgExhaust Installed 3.jpgExhaust Installed 4.jpg

When can I order mine?

Well Gizmo, not sure you'll still be interested. Cost me $1200 due to the design/layout work involved. Says he will make others now for about $960 unless there is some quantity involved.

The Assured Performance site is incorrect in saying 304SS has the highest Nickel content. 304SS has 8% Nickel, 316 has 10%
Chromium in 304 is 18%, 16% in 316SS. 316 also has 2% Moly.

Not sure of the intent of this post?? What does all this mean other than you saying the vendor site is incorrect? :dunno:
I did not get this tip thru a vendor - it was custom fabricated. 18 ga 304 SS

Looks good Phil :thumbsup. I'm curious how you mounted it with the pinch bolts? Being a odd size and heavy it might vibrate loose and on the street. Just a suggestion. You might want to cut through holes in the rear of the tip large enough for the flex in the exhaust system. Then semi solidly mount the exhaust tip to the frame rail that's directly above the tip. Like how they mount the accessory exhaust plate on vettes and some xlr's. then the exhaust tip will always stay center to the bumper,not bang around your bumper. Your exhaust does move around with bumps and weight shifts I found out when doing my exhaust plate:(. Looks good I would push it back flush with the deepest part of rear bumper. Would look good with some pieces splitting the difference on each outlet at a 45. Give it a quad exhaust look:dunno::thumbsup

Looks good Phil :thumbsup. I'm curious how you mounted it with the pinch bolts? Being a odd size and heavy it might vibrate loose and on the street. Just a suggestion. You might want to cut through holes in the rear of the tip large enough for the flex in the exhaust system. Then semi solidly mount the exhaust tip to the frame rail that's directly above the tip. Like how they mount the accessory exhaust plate on vettes and some xlr's. then the exhaust tip will always stay center to the bumper,not bang around your bumper. Your exhaust does move around with bumps and weight shifts I found out when doing my exhaust plate:(. Looks good I would push it back flush with the deepest part of rear bumper. Would look good with some pieces splitting the difference on each outlet at a 45. Give it a quad exhaust look:dunno::thumbsup

Thanks Stella. In addition to the pinch bolts, I had it tack welded also - to avoid losing it! Seems to be pretty sturdy. I wanted to move it back further but my muffler guy suggested not as it might wind up with "soot" on the bumper so we set it outside a little. I like your idea of the slats on 45's - may look into that. I had thought about using some expanded metal in the openings but was afraid I was getting "too much".

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom