Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CUSTOM EXHAUST TIP

Phil105

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR base
Like many posts I've read on this forum, I really do not like the Corvette exhaust tips on these cars. The oval shape just doesn't go with the car nearly as well as the tips seen on the 2009 models. After and exhaustive search for some aftermarket tips that, in my opinion, more suit the car I decided to have one made. Found a good machine shop near me who was willing to take on the task.
On an older post on this forum, I found the following drawing of a tip that I think, with a couple modifications, will look great on the car. Going to narrow up the gap between ports and obviously change the elbow outlets to straight. Waiting on the shop to do a CAD drawing in which we may also change the curve shape for more of a wedge design that sort of mocks the sideview mirrors.
Will post pictures once it's made and installed, hopefully within the next week or so.

EXHAUST DESIGN.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting.

What material will be used, stainless ?

I thought the opening in the back of the 09 tip wasn't a tight fit around the pipe from the muffler, no need I would guess and allows for alignment of the mufflers to be off a bit. Am I correct about this ?

Never seen one in person but Doesn't the 09 fixture attach to the bumper cover ?

I assume your guy will keep the plans in case someone like me would want to order one.

Not that you have to but maybe you could post their Cad drawing before they actually make the piece on the chance others might have some good input about the design.

Thanks for sharing.

Interesting.

What material will be used, stainless ? doing a mock-up in galvanized to see if I want to make any changes then finished product will be 14 ga. brushed stainless steel

I thought the opening in the back of the 09 tip wasn't a tight fit around the pipe from the muffler, no need I would guess and allows for alignment of the mufflers to be off a bit. Am I correct about this? Never seen one in person but Doesn't the 09 fixture attach to the bumper cover ? I've never actually seen an 09 so can't say about the fitment, but I do believe the 09 is a one-piece unit bumper/exhaust and very expensive to buy. I will be leaving about a 1-1 1/2-inch gap to allow for heat disbursement (don't want to melt the plastic bumper).

I assume your guy will keep the plans in case someone like me would want to order one. yes, we discussed the possibility that others may be interested

Not that you have to but maybe you could post their Cad drawing before they actually make the piece on the chance others might have some good input about the design. I'm kind of a lone wolf when it comes to things like this. Sometimes too much input leads to confusion and delay and I'm already confused enough and impatient! ha ha

Thanks for sharing.

Phil

Look under different exhaust tips in the search box. I replaced my exhaust awhile ago. Big thing was to put a better tip on her. I had seen that exhaust tip manifold that you have pictured. I wanna say that tip setup is like 600 or 800 bucks. :( I had the same idea of trying to match the lines on the bumper cut out. I found these which weren't my first choice but for 10 bucks a piece I couldn't pass up. If you scroll through ebay I believe it's dodge challenger exhaust tips that have the lines that would go good with the x. The newer acura shave a exhaust tip that would also look good too. One day I might redo and do something more square lined/angled to go with the lines of the car better. That's the only thing I don't like about ones I have is the roundish ends. I thought they discontinued that exhaust tip your interested in. And I believe the exhaust on the 09 is a trim piece on the bumper and the exhaust pipe ends

Look under different exhaust tips in the search box. I replaced my exhaust awhile ago. Big thing was to put a better tip on her. I had seen that exhaust tip manifold that you have pictured. I wanna say that tip setup is like 600 or 800 bucks. :( I had the same idea of trying to match the lines on the bumper cut out. I found these which weren't my first choice but for 10 bucks a piece I couldn't pass up. If you scroll through ebay I believe it's dodge challenger exhaust tips that have the lines that would go good with the x. The newer acura shave a exhaust tip that would also look good too. One day I might redo and do something more square lined/angled to go with the lines of the car better. That's the only thing I don't like about ones I have is the roundish ends. I thought they discontinued that exhaust tip your interested in. And I believe the exhaust on the 09 is a trim piece on the bumper and the exhaust pipe ends

Thanks Stella, but I believe I've pretty much "exhausted" a search on line for tips that suit me. Part of the issue for me is I want to fill in that wide void between the stock tips and/or that on the Challenger/Camaro type tips. Some of the Mercedes tips have the shape I'm after, but still would leave a void between them. I am using that diagram as a starting point and will be modifying it some to get the more angular look you mention. Yes, it's not going to be inexpensive, but it's what I want. Hopefully it will work out. To me, the rear end of these cars is one of the best features - except for the exhaust area. Just really needs something different.

The tip pictured is an SLP design for C5 vettes. The year SLP discontinued it, those tips only (the axleback was what was $600+) were selling for $100. I bought one and tried to mod it to realign the edges to match our bumper, but totally botched it up.

Yes, I were an engineer, but not that kind. :dunno:

I have since been in communication with Justin Linkenfelter about a custom Aventador style tip like the one he does for the CTS-V Coupe:
12088179_1429919927093399_8188201586260981091_n.jpg

2009 Exhaust tips - or custom

I too like the 2009 Base (all are "Platinum") exhaust. I have a 2009 V, which is like the older models in terms of the exhaust tips, with the dual mode.

Here is what the 2009 Base tips look like - from the Gallery of this site:

2009 Cadillac XLR Exhaust - Cadillac XLR Net Photo Gallery - Cadillac XLR | XLR-V Photos | Pics

I also like the CTS-V type styling, as Gizmo mentioned - we don't have as much height, but it would look good with a design like that.

I installed tips that were as close as I could get, but they were quite "square" to match the profile (they did match the chiseled look of the car though).
Tips expended.jpg

If Gizmo can get a design that will somehow work with a V exhaust - I'm interested! Let's do a "group buy"!!! :thumbsup

PAK XLR8

The tip pictured is an SLP design for C5 vettes. The year SLP discontinued it, those tips only (the axleback was what was $600+) were selling for $100. I bought one and tried to mod it to realign the edges to match our bumper, but totally botched it up.

Yes, I were an engineer, but not that kind. :dunno:

I have since been in communication with Justin Linkenfelter about a custom Aventador style tip like the one he does for the CTS-V Coupe:
View attachment 5995

Most of the die cast XLR's (made before the XLR came out) have tips like what PAK XLR8 created. Too bad they didn't go with that on the actual car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 997
Most of the die cast XLR's (made before the XLR came out) have tips like what PAK XLR8 created. Too bad they didn't go with that on the actual car.

Late 90's, early 2000's Camaro's had similar tips, but again, I am looking to fill that entire void where our exhaust is. Sure would be great if someone knows of something already on the market that will do that.

Those tips look nice, but the XLR muffler only has a single exhaust and I'm not looking to change the entire exhaust system. Those tips are have dual inlets but the shape is great looking.

I like these Route 66 tips, but don't want to buy the whole exhaust system and haven't found a source to buy just the tips.
Route 66 Tips.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm.....wondering, then, why I have 4 tips sticking out from under my car???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hmmm.....wondering, then, why I have 4 tips sticking out from under my car???

If you'll look underneath you'll see why. Each muffler has one outlet - the tip y's off into two outlets - all for looks.:thumbsup

something like this

1329_WEBL.jpg

I assumed they would be welded onto the dual pipes after the wye.

The C7 has a single pipe that transitions into a wye, just like ours. Don't know anything about dimensions,etc. but thought it would be a place to start.
C7 Corvette Corsa Xtreme Exhaust Systems

Here's another C7 version, don't have any idea of spacing,etc.
0daced3168556273485ebafcff7afe59.jpg

I assumed they would be welded onto the dual pipes after the wye.

The C7 has a single pipe that transitions into a wye, just like ours. Don't know anything about dimensions,etc. but thought it would be a place to start.
C7 Corvette Corsa Xtreme Exhaust Systems

Here's another C7 version, don't have any idea of spacing,etc.
0daced3168556273485ebafcff7afe59.jpg

yes, I saw those, but same issue with others I've seen that I like, you can't buy just the tips. Don't know why that is. What does one do if you have these and damage the tips - buy a whole new exhaust system??? Gonna call B&B Performance on Monday and ask as they do make a tip that I like - Route 66 Speedway (see Post #11 above) - if it can be bought separately. Talked to Ecklers Corvette and they tell me it's only sold as a complete kit. Crazy!!

i like the gibson tips in this thread, would like to see a straight on pic from the rear. see how low they hang,and do they fill the bumper cutout sufficiently...
https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-general-discussion/5208-different-exhaust-tips.html

These tips are a little smaller than our dual ovals - Outlet 6 x 2.75 in. so they do not fill out the bumper cut out even as much as stock. I believe I have seen some that are the same width, 8-inches, as the dual ovals though.

Last edited:

Thanks Zen, but I really want something to fill the entire cutout in the bumper. Most of what I've seen are just different shapes that are still the same size as the dual ovals on the car. I'm trying to eliminate the void between the tips and hopefully fill some of the outside edges too. The one I'm having made seems to be the only thing that's going to satisfy me.

I really do appreciate you looking/posting though. Keep it up, I'm still waiting on the guy to finish the proto-type of the one I think I want.
Phil

Good luck Phil ,,,,,,,,, keep us posted on your project...

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom