Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

CUSTOM WHEEL GALLERY: XLR/XLRV

Thanks Phrede...

I read this as he has the wheels but is researching tires.

I updated my previous post with more details. As I've said many times before, wheel offset is everything. You could put a 500mm wide tire on the back provided you had the correct offset, wheel width and are OK with the amount of rubber hanging out side the fender.

You hit what I needed buddy... The Z06 wheels have a +56 which weren't too far off the factory XLR's +61. I just don't want any rubbing, scraping etc, you know? Not really interested in sacrificing ride comfort so I'm staying away from the low profiles, the 20 inchers etc.

Many 8.5" Corvette wheels have a 56mm offset, not sure about you exact wheels. This shifts the tire towards the outside 5mm before you start. While that gains you a little more interior clearance, your tire selection for an 8.5" width may be your limiting factor. Sometimes, depending on the tire, a 265 width is not recommended for anything less than 9".

Keep in mind speedometer error when changing tire sizes.

This calculator will help with that

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Two Sizes

You also have to consider what tire brand and model is available in the size you are looking for.

My guess, is when the smoke clears you will end up with 255/45-18 as the max. This is just a guess since the details are not known.

BTW that same tire (255/45-18) will also work on the front. Which gains the ability to do a full 4 tire rotation over a staggered fit. The 255 width is run by many here, including me (255/40-19).

CORRECTION: I know it will work in the back with your 56mm offset. I can't say for sure in the front since I run the stock 61mm offset all around. Maybe someone with a 56mm offset in the front will chime in.

Last edited:
LOL....

Many 8.5" Corvette wheels have a 56mm offset, not sure about you exact wheels. This shifts the tire towards the outside 5mm before you start. While that gains you a little more interior clearance, your tire selection for an 8.5" width may be your limiting factor. Sometimes, depending on the tire, a 265 width is not recommended for anything less than 9".

Keep in mind speedometer error when changing tire sizes.

This calculator will help with that

Tire Size Calculator - Compare Two Sizes

You also have to consider what tire brand and model is available in the size you are looking for.

My guess, is when the smoke clears you will end up with 255/45-18 as the max. This is just a guess since the details are not known.

LOL... As your post popped up I was using your link you sent and that exact tire size is what I came up with... Thank you so so much bro, you have no idea how much you helped me. I'm going 1st thing in the morning (7 am shop appointment) and just got in from work. Again thank you.

FWIW, I only do summer driving and have summer tires of the non-runflat type. I have and really like my Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S04 which are available in that size.

Not sure if your looking at all-season or run-flats or not. Good luck.

Non run-flat...

FWIW, I only do summer driving and have summer tires of the non-runflat type. I have and really like my Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position S04 which are available in that size.

Not sure if your looking at all-season or run-flats or not. Good luck.

Wanna get rid of the run-flats and I too only roll in the summer. Usually about May to October then it's washed, waxed, battery maintained and car cover until the next season.

Nothing fancy.... I went with the Corvette Z06 Centenniels 18" X 8.5" all around. Pic are in my garage photos. I'm more interested in know how wide I can go in the rear... The front? Not so much.

Since this is the custom wheels GALLERY thread, let's continue this discussion over on the existing wheel and fitment thread here. or here.

Bottom line I had same as you and got 285-40ZR-18s Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires on the rear without rubbing. They are really too big for the 8 1/2 wheel, but I have a good relationship with my local tire shop and we knew I'd shred them in only a few months... and I did. Had to keep pressure low to prevent excessive centerline wear, but the low pressure at speed caused graining from the heat buildup, i.e., tires didn't last long. I currently have Bridgestone RE050A tires in the same size on 9 1/2 rims with no problems.

Since this is the custom wheels GALLERY thread, let's continue this discussion over on the existing wheel and fitment thread here. or here.

Bottom line I had same as you and got 285-40ZR-18s Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires on the rear without rubbing. They are really too big for the 8 1/2 wheel, but I have a good relationship with my local tire shop and we knew I'd shred them in only a few months... and I did. Had to keep pressure low to prevent excessive centerline wear, but the low pressure at speed caused graining from the heat buildup, i.e., tires didn't last long. I currently have Bridgestone RE050A tires in the same size on 9 1/2 rims with no problems.

You don't say what the wheel offsets are that either of these setups are using. Also, how much inner clearance was had by the distortion caused by using too narrow a rim? If you consider that there is about 10mm inner clearance with a stock 255 setup and a static load. A 30mm tread width addition (15mm per side) would certainly cause a problem without some kind of offset change.

2014_02_26--13_34_403582.jpg Here is a picture to satisfy the gallery forum police. :)

We need more wheel picture!

photo_3-38.JPG

:D

The result of my "Overhaulin" & early Christmas for me!

I am a conservative, "keep it OEM all the way" kind of girl. But my OEM alloy wheels were trashed, & Beauty has enough blemishes from her daily driver days that she's never going to be a show queen, so I decided to have them sand blasted & painted hyper silver. HOWEVER, Mike got in the middle of it & approved a "surprise" add-on. Turns out it was having the crest & wreath in the center cap painted infrared to match the car. I was really not too sure about it when I saw it on the car in the garage, but today I got it out in the sun & LOVE it! Not really anything dramatic, but still a nice little touch. Plus the wheels overall turned out great (shop put in extra effort to make the finish perfect when they saw how clean & shiny I keep her inside & out), & I agree with Mike that I wish I'd done this long ago.

Maybe doesn't quite fit in with Madcurl's thread, & YMMV on whether you like it, but here it is:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 666
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 658
Very nice Amy! But was there an option to polish the wheels again then clear coat to an almost chrome look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Very nice Amy! But was there an option to polish the wheels again then clear coat to an almost chrome look?

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

Thanks! I checked on other options & there weren't any (other than buying new wheels) because the alloy was popping off, and once that started happening there was no way to "re-alloy" them. I also had a curb-rashed wheel, & they said you can't repair that on an alloy wheel. Chroming was not recommended because of the salt/sea air here which makes chrome last about 5 years before it starts pitting.

The paint job is warranted for life & easily fixable if there's damage. It's actually better than powder coating too, since there's more color variety available & powder coated wheels also can't be repaired if there are scratches, chips, etc.

Good to know for future information! Thanks have a great day!

Dan & Wendy
"05 GRAND DADDY"

It's time for more custom wheel pics!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics