Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Dash delaminating

RBrown

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared
I have an 2006 v and the leather dash cover is delaminating from the dash pad. I am hearing this is a common problem. According to the dealer this is a discontinued part. But I think the pad could be removed and Re glued and reinstalled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EZ fix,,,

RBrown,,, Just a thought: You might do what I did, install a dash cover > Dash Covers

I went with their velour dash cover....although I didn't have the same problem you are experiencing. I dislike cleaning the dash tops :)

T200637740.jpg

First I've heard of anything like this; although I always keep my interior clean and treated to keep the leather, etc. soft and supple. Perhaps your car sat out in the hot sun all the time to cause this. I would think an upholstery shop could fix your problem.

I have an 2006 v and the leather dash cover is delaminating from the dash pad. I am hearing this is a common problem. According to the dealer this is a discontinued part. But I think the pad could be removed and Re glued and reinstalled.

First I've heard of anything like this; although I always keep my interior clean and treated to keep the leather, etc. soft and supple. Perhaps your car sat out in the hot sun all the time to cause this. I would think an upholstery shop could fix your problem.

The car is garaged so that is not the issue. The shop I went to says he had had several with this issue. They have to remove the dash pad so they can glue it.

My 07 is coming up at the dip where the instrument round ends towards the center.

I have seen that

I have noticed that on at least 4 or 5 cars that I have looked at for people. Seems to be a newer problem and these where garage kept cars. Might be something else to watch. I see dashes sell often on ebay and for a good price so theirs may have the same problem

Dash Situation

So, what did you do? I have the same situation...07 XLR-V.
Thanks, John.

[Fireduck69;75289]My 07 is coming up at the dip where the instrument round ends towards the center.[/QUOTE]

I haven’t done anything with it yet. I was thinking about taking it out and having an upholstery shop look at it or just glueing it back down.

I still recommend ,,,

Dash Covers

Install it,,,and forget the problem under. Don't stress out,,,,life is too short. :wave:

Dash Covers - 2006 CADILLAC XLR DASH COVER

2006 CADILLAC XLR DASH COVER

Description: FITS: 04-09 CADILLAC XLR

Item #: 1368-0-06

Last edited:
I haven’t done anything yet either. The upholstery shop won’t remove the pad. They recommend going to the dealer and have them remove

Not surprising this is happening.

I'm guessing they use the same dash material under the leather that produces the white chalky substance on earlier XLRs. Probably makes the glue come undone over time.

I haven’t done anything yet either. The upholstery shop won’t remove the pad. They recommend going to the dealer and have them remove

Are you making the trip to the 15th XLR reunion in Bowling Green on Sep 25th? If you are traveling through Atlanta (I-75N) we can possibly meet up on our way to BG. You can text me if interested 510-593-4398.

Ours is starting to come up at the same place as Fireducks. While I can’t speak to the first 5 years of its life, since we’ve had it’s been in a garage that has heat & AC, hasn’t been driven much (unfortunately), & we use a windshield screen when it’s parked outside.

From my research this happens to a lot of cars with leather dashes, from BMW’s to Jeeps, because old leather shrinks. I’m not too psyched about getting to it to fix it as it seems to generally involve removing either the windshield or the dash. I did find one person who used one idea I had, which was to inject some more glue in the bubble. Also ran across using a heat gun to get it stretched back out, but in my experience using a similar approach on seat wrinkles that’s only a temporary fix. I’m going to try to check with some restoration shops to see if there’s a less invasive fix.

I tried glueing mine down, worked for a while but it’s back separating again.
It’s not that hard to remove the dash pad.
Trim pieces pop off ends in each door. A-pullers pull out, and if I remember there are screws on each end,
Have to pull shifter knob and console back to get center dash off, two screws behind it in top corners, pull lower knee panel down from under start button, remove screw that holds right button panel, pull it down and a screw at top of it hold dash. Lift dash up and twist the light sensor out( don’t let it drop down the opening or it’s hard to reach). Hardest thing is getting the speaker grills off without breaking the studs.

I tried glueing mine down, worked for a while but it’s back separating again.
It’s not that hard to remove the dash pad.
Trim pieces pop off ends in each door. A-pullers pull out, and if I remember there are screws on each end,
Have to pull shifter knob and console back to get center dash off, two screws behind it in top corners, pull lower knee panel down from under start button, remove screw that holds right button panel, pull it down and a screw at top of it hold dash. Lift dash up and twist the light sensor out( don’t let it drop down the opening or it’s hard to reach). Hardest thing is getting the speaker grills off without breaking the studs.

Thanks! In trade for that, you might find this video useful: YouTube. It shows how to stretch the dash leather with a heat gun; that then gluing might do the trick. Happy to let you be the guinea pig! ;)

I just purchased a new one in Shale from SMC Performance $399 and gave a vet discount and free shipping just arrived today now the tear down begins

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom