Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Dead battery issues

radarluv

My XLR/V(s)
2004 xlr black raven
I really hope my brothers can help. I installed a new optimun battery in my 2004 xlr. The battery is dead. I had to go to the dealer to get a new bumper key cut. The key allowed me to manually open the trunk and to access the door release and the door popped but did not fully open so i could actually open the door. The door is partially open but won't let me open the door to gain access. I dont know what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

I really hope my brothers can help. I installed a new optimun battery in my 2004 xlr. The battery is dead. I had to go to the dealer to get a new bumper key cut. The key allowed me to manually open the trunk and to access the door release and the door popped but did not fully open so i could actually open the door. The door is partially open but won't let me open the door to gain access. I dont know what to do at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you in advance

Two people - one pulls the door release in the trunk - one opens the door when latch releases.

With a dead battery, the windows don't index down to be free of the weatherstripping. You'll have to give the door a tug to get it open. Once you get the battery charged up or replaced, you will have to re-index the windows. You will also want to invest in a battery tender if the car will be sitting for over a couple of weeks.

Two people - one pulls the door release in the trunk - one opens the door when latch releases.

Thank you very much. Keep trying to do this by myself. Two people was the fix. So again Thank you. Beside re-indexing the windows is there anything else that i should do. I still have the battery charger hook up and noticed the driver's window went down about 2 inches more than normal when you are entering the car for the window to clear the weather strip. Also the trunk. Should i manually put it down to engage the lock or should i power it down? Thanks in advance

With a dead battery, the windows don't index down to be free of the weatherstripping. You'll have to give the door a tug to get it open. Once you get the battery charged up or replaced, you will have to re-index the windows. You will also want to invest in a battery tender if the car will be sitting for over a couple of weeks.
Thank you for the reply. I qill definitely get a battery tender. What goes on with the car whwn it sits that puts that kind of drain on the battery. Again thank you in advance

Thank you very much. Keep trying to do this by myself. Two people was the fix. So again Thank you. Beside re-indexing the windows is there anything else that i should do. I still have the battery charger hook up and noticed the driver's window went down about 2 inches more than normal when you are entering the car for the window to clear the weather strip. Also the trunk. Should i manually put it down to engage the lock or should i power it down? Thanks in advance

The trunk should close with the button on trunk lid once battery is charged.....you will need to do most of the preset like the radio I'm not sure about the seats n mirrors if memory serves me right I think the FOB holds them. Please make sure you buy a battery tender that has trickle charge capabilities for that new battery it only takes about 2 weeks of setting for it to die no matter how expensive of battery you installed. Another tip you can do is if your XLR is garaged you can either pop the hood so you can lift it open or prop it open about 2" or let a window open so you can reach in and open the hood or door pulling the latch. I've done this before then installed my car cover. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The receiver for the car fob is always "on". Not a parasitic drain, but a drain nevertheless. You said you purchased an Optimum battery. Did you mean Optima? The FOB does not retain any settings itself. The BCM retains those in memory. Lose power and you lose most settings. I don't think the NAV/Radio will lose any settings, at least mine never did when it was in the car. Seat memory most certainly will go as well as mirrors and steering wheel. You can purchase an obd cable that will plug in and the other plug into a portable power source so that you will not lose settings while battery is disconnected.
In my case, I replaced the stock battery with an Odyssey battery back in December of 15 and have not had one ounce of battery troubles anymore. NONE. The car will sometimes sit a week without driving it but it will start just fine after that week. No battery tender attached.

The receiver for the car fob is always "on". Not a parasitic drain, but a drain nevertheless. You said you purchased an Optimum battery. Did you mean Optima? The FOB does not retain any settings itself. The BCM retains those in memory. Lose power and you lose most settings. I don't think the NAV/Radio will lose any settings, at least mine never did when it was in the car. Seat memory most certainly will go as well as mirrors and steering wheel. You can purchase an obd cable that will plug in and the other plug into a portable power source so that you will not lose settings while battery is disconnected.
In my case, I replaced the stock battery with an Odyssey battery back in December of 15 and have not had one ounce of battery troubles anymore. NONE. The car will sometimes sit a week without driving it but it will start just fine after that week. No battery tender attached.

Thanks for clearing of that FOB issue. Old age is catching up ... LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you yes an Optima battery old age as well. Lol sorry dont know what an obd cable is. Thanks again for the response . I'm in Michigan so the car sits in the garage for months. I never let it see snow or rain.i did buy a battery tender yesterday thanks again

door problem

You need someone to hold the door release catch while you opoen the door

FYI, Constant Parasitic Battery Drain

By this time I'm pretty sure you have gotten the electrical/battery issue sorted. I also have gone through the learning curve in dealing with my XLR. This car has more parasitic battery drain than any car I have ever owned! Just this past week I replaced the battery in mine even though it was only 3 years old. With even a somewhat low battery, The XLR will do all kinds of weird stuff. Mine tested OK on charge and load test (590CCA), but very low on the spectrum. In short, it wasn't dead, but it was dying. So replaced it with a new 690CCA. Result? All problems solved for now, until this one dies. I am guessing that most of the problems reported with our XLR's, are that 70% - 80% are issues dealing with either dead or failing (low voltage or amp) batteries. --- This, even though I keep it on a Battery Tender when not in use (I.e., all winter : ) :cool:

My winter drill. At least once a week I pull back her soft car cover, let her run to operating temp. Turn the AC on lowest setting to get the compressor working and circulating Freon, hold the brake and let her run in gear in order to circulate transmission fluid to lubricate the clutches. Also to let the alternator additionally charge the battery (this drill, with the battery tender disconnected).

Enjoy ;)

Dead Battery

After 3 batteries in 5 years in my 09 XLR, I solved my battery problem. I went to Batteries Plus and purchased a Saleline (NSB-AGM35) Battery. It has full 5-year Full Replacement Warranty. Much better than the Delco battery supplied by my dealer. I also keep a Lithium Jump Starter (GB30 UltraSafe) in my trunk just in case I need it. It's small enough to fit in the small storage bin in the rear-right side of the car's trunk. I'm happy to report, I've never needed to use the jump starter and no problems since installing the Saleline battery.

XLR V Starts by itself ... while lifting the hood!

So I was having battery issues with the '07 Barbie car - (XLRV) and I needed to use the power pack, to start it. Cindy was standing outside the car, I tried starting it, but no power (just enough to start to open the trunk, then slammed it back down). I grabbed the power pack, popped the hood - when I unlatched the hood, the car turned over, and started! Nobody was in the drivers seat (the key fob was in my pocket, on me). So how does this happen? Seems awful dangerous to allow a possibility of a car started, with a driver in front of the car.

Replaced the battery ... I'm good now.

But please, please be careful, if you ever come across a dead battery, and you have be in front of your car, to open the hood.

:dunno:

Too Weird

So I was having battery issues with the '07 Barbie car - (XLRV) and I needed to use the power pack, to start it. Cindy was standing outside the car, I tried starting it, but no power (just enough to start to open the trunk, then slammed it back down). I grabbed the power pack, popped the hood - when I unlatched the hood, the car turned over, and started! Nobody was in the drivers seat (the key fob was in my pocket, on me). So how does this happen? Seems awful dangerous to allow a possibility of a car started, with a driver in front of the car.

But please, please be careful, if you ever come across a dead battery, and you have be in front of your car, to open the hood.

Really strange. All I can think of as an explanation for this occurrence was that the battery at the time had enough juice to send a signal to the ECM to tell it to start the car, but not enough juice to actually do so. As we know, after a period of time a battery will regenerate to a slight degree (maybe not on an XLR), but that the accepted juice from the Power Pack was enough that it 'finally carried out the prior command', i.e., to 'start the car'. :( But your advice is well taken.

I think you just have another "devil car"! :reddevil

Seriously Dave, REALLY glad no one got hurt.

Really strange. All I can think of as an explanation for this occurrence was that the battery at the time had enough juice to send a signal to the ECM to tell it to start the car, but not enough juice to actually do so. As we know, after a period of time a battery will regenerate to a slight degree (maybe not on an XLR), but that the accepted juice from the Power Pack was enough that it 'finally carried out the prior command', i.e., to 'start the car'. :( But your advice is well taken.

What's even more strange... I had not touched the battery, with the battery pack yet... it turned over and started while I was unlatching the hood. Not sure where the juice even came from. Oh well, everybody ok and now Cindy drives the 05 base to work sometimes... maybe the devil spirits transferred over to the 07 V. (Ref - Amy's comments). Hee hee.
I love my XLR's!

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back