Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Driver seat cover replacement

jts442

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Cadillac XLR - Base
Hi all,
I just ordered the lower seat cover for the driver side of my 2006 base model,

Shale Driver Seat Cushion Cover - GM (88991574)

Mine is not horrible but am not happy with it's appearance after cleaning and conditioning it, the car is near perfect and this bothers me lol. Has anyone attempted or replaced the bottom driver side seat cover? If so can you share your experience and maybe some photos, tips or tricks needed to know before I take this on? There's nothing on youtube for this car but I'm sure I can figure it out but any help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone's seat cover is torn or tattered my old one will be available when complete. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Driver Seat 01.jpg
    Driver Seat 01.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Driver Seat 03.jpg
    Driver Seat 03.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Drvier Seat 02.jpg
    Drvier Seat 02.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
where did you order the seat cover from? I'm sure a local upholstery shop could do it. I would imagine the seat would have to come out. Mine is in need of replacing as well
good Luck
Let us know how it works out

You can google it and find a few sites that sell it.
I got mine from GM Parts Direct / Flow Automotive. It took a couple weeks, started to think I was scammed but it arrived. Great price for an almost extinct part.

No oem's are available. I just received the drivers side bottom (shale), from
richmond autoupholstery. It looks identical to the stock one. It has long nylon channels attached to it and a few hog rings. Do you have to remove the seat to take the old one off?
Thanks

I did it and it sucks. Pay good attention and take pictures as you uninstall each step of the old one. You need an electric stapler or you’ll never get the new one stapled to the plastic part on the backside. The foam is almost certainly compressed and the new one may be wrinkled. I replaced my foam, but I had to add some sheet foam to make it look right. Be aware that there will be a lot of sharp edges on the seat frame. Either wear gloves, or have cleaner handy to clean the blood off the new skins. If your seat rocks forward and back at all, this is the perfect time to address that. C6 Driver's Seat Track Sliding / Rocking Repair DIY Info - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion Also, when you unplug the big white connector under the seat, inspect it for overheating. I had the main ground pin burn up and, again, while it is apart, that is the time to check and fix it.

Also, a lot of sites say to use steam to stretch the leather, but the local upholstery shop (been there since the ‘50s) told me not to. If you’re afraid, look for an old-school shop near you with a verified reputation.

You are lucky to get replacements, definitely go for it, but know that it takes patience, attention, some finesse to get it done.

Oh, and be super careful if your paint when you pull the seat out of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_8685.jpeg
    IMG_8685.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics