Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

E 85

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
Has anyone looked into the effect of the (now blessed by the supreme court) fuel, "E85" ?
Will it damage our engines? I have a V.

Rusty

Has anyone looked into the effect of the (now blessed by the supreme court) fuel, "E85" ?
Will it damage our engines? I have a V.

Rusty

From what I've learned e85 is actually like 106 octane. People have been building e85 motors because its a hell of a lot cheaper than race gas. The engine uses more fuel that's why you'd have to put a bigger fuel pump. I don't know about injectors? Even in the e85 vehicles they use more gas so the price equals out a touch. But when a motor is built for e85 they scream and its a little cheaper on fuel.

E85 concerns

My concern about E85 in my XLR is that if the fuel system was not designed and built for E85, the ethanol could cause corrosion of some components and potential failure of seals, lines, gaskets and O-rings.

My Tahoe proudly displays its "FlexFuel" badge indicating that it was designed to operate properly on E85. No concerns there.

I have read stories about the failure of fuel system components in vehicles not designed for its use. These failures have lead to some engine fires.

So I ask as well, what's the deal with E85 and our XLRs?

I stay away from that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry