Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Engine cover removal

foutswb

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Black XLR
What is the procedure for removing the plastic cover over the engine? It is held at the front and rear but it is not obvious how to release the catches.
Thanks, Bill (08 model )

My understanding is the OIL Filler cap must be removed, then the top lifts up and slides backward (clips on the back) holds the back on. I watched my mechanic do it and it looked very simple (didn't do it myself though). Hope that helps.

Chicago Dave is correct, I have done it myself . First remove the oil filler cap (make sure the area is clean, don't want anything falling into the engine). Then the front lifts up like it is hinged in back (its not), after the front is raised the back also lifts off.

After lifting the front straight up, pull the cover forward to disengage the "hooks" from the rear retainers. Do not pull up to release the rear... the "hooks" are easy to break off.
To put back on... you have to line up the "hooks" in the cover to the retainers in the back, then hinge it down onto the front "push on" retainers. Then replace the oil filler cap.

Thanks guys, your method worked well. In the process of romoving the oil
cap I thought I had broken it when the top half seperated from the bottom
half. Upon examining it is not broken but is held together by 2 triangles which slip together in a press fit. It is not too hard to seperate and the advantage is that the top can be removed to allow the engine cover to be removed while leaving the lower section in place to keep the oil tube covered if desired.
Thanks for the help,
Bill

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry