Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Exhaust module

RBrown

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Infared
The butterfly valves are stuck in open position. I was told that the part 15839086 is bad. I tried gm parts direct but was advised it is out of stock. Any idea who might have one or is there away to have this one repaired

This is second hand from my husband, who knows this better than me - the valves are vacuum operated. Has someone told you anything about the condition of the vacuum function? Maybe check a fuse? We switched out the stock V exhaust with Billy Boat Fusion (which might also solve your problem), you can lube the valves on the Billy Boat, maybe check and see if this can be done with the stock.

This is second hand from my husband, who knows this better than me - the valves are vacuum operated. Has someone told you anything about the condition of the vacuum function? Maybe check a fuse? We switched out the stock V exhaust with Billy Boat Fusion (which might also solve your problem), you can lube the valves on the Billy Boat, maybe check and see if this can be done with the stock.

The valves are vacum but but the part that controls them is electronic. The module that controls open and close is bad. The valves are free and easily moved Just need to find the module or some one that can repair the box. It is located on the left side in the trunk in the wheel well

Corvettes have a similar system - some of their parts will cross over - maybe give that a shot.

One option would be to just mount a switch in the console and wire it to open and close the valves. I have done this and it works very well. All the module does is open the valves above 3500 RPM.

Exhaust

I was thinking about that if I can't find the midule

Exhaust Module

I was thinking about that if I can't find the midule

Did you ever find a module or an alternative solution? I have a quote from Cadillac dealership for $882.31 to replace the module on my 2007 XLRV. A quick response would be appreciated. I also need a right headlight. Quote is $3,927.28 for that.

Did you ever find a module or an alternative solution? I have a quote from Cadillac dealership for $882.31 to replace the module on my 2007 XLRV. A quick response would be appreciated. I also need a right headlight. Quote is $3,927.28 for that.

I found a module on eBay that fits a 2009 corvette z6. The plugs are the same. I have ordered and hope it fixes the problem. Cost was only 30 dollars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thoughts

Hey,
If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
Good luck
Schmidt:cool:

Mild to Wild culprit

FYI, I do believe the Mild to Wild controller can fry the "Exhaust Tail Pipe Control Module" (part#15839086). I believe this is what happened to mine, there are companies out there selling the module but at over $200 the flaps being open all of the time don't really sound that bad.
So, please be cautious as I wish I'd left mine alone :(

Hey,
If you can get under the back of your car - you can easily locate the vacuum actuators on the mufflers - look for the rubber vacuum lines - pull one off the diaphragm mechanism - then look to see if the exhaust valve closes as the valve is usually closed and only opens with vacuum. Lets assume the valve closes - this means the electronic controller is bad - which is what I believe you think - If the valve stays open then the diaphragm is bad - but the chances of both sides going bad at the same time is a bit out. I installed a "mild to wild" switch on my V - literally took about 5 minutes - this will allow you to bypass the stock controller.
Good luck
Schmidt:cool:

if your dealer gave you a quote on the headlight, jump at it .I will take a new one for that

I got one from a 2009 corvette z6. Exhaust looks identical. I am still waiting on one more part, there is a celinoid located at the vacuum lines that was also not working. I owas able to order that from gm parts direct. I bought the module on eBay used for 30 dollars. The other part was 55.00

I received the celinoid and reinstalled. System is working perfect. Cost about $80 in parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exhaust module bypass switch wiring description?

Wiring in a switch would be nice, I fried my module by installing a Mild2Wild controller. So my valves are also stuck open, I noticed while manually cycling these at the exhaust tips that the valves are spring loaded open, that explains why these cars sound so cool for that 1st second on start up until vacuum closes the butterfly valves. So, you say you wired a switch to these? Can you explain that a little better please as I'd like to do the same. What component did you wire to, is there a solenoid or two that sends the vacuum signal? Thanks for any tips - Raz

Ok - I did some digging around under the car and found the "solenoid relay switch" that sends the vacuum to the flap valves, it's located on the far back edge passenger side under the storage tray. If there was a hole in the storage tray you could reach it, but there is not so getting to the tight spot underneath may prove a challenge if necessary. It consists of a large clip over the relay, a wiring connector, plus a few rubber lines holding it in place. I did order the Corvette exhaust control module and will see if that fixes it. (If it does I'll post the part #) later - Raz

One option would be to just mount a switch in the console and wire it to open and close the valves. I have done this and it works very well. All the module does is open the valves above 3500 RPM.

Last edited:
Alternate Wild to Mild switch

I haven't been on this site since I sold my 06-V & would like to give you folks my wild to mild done in 2006 and still worked fine when sold. I did this in 2006 before wild to mild came out. Not a crawl under car type of thing. I will post pics here as to how to do it, all it requires is a $10 rocker switch, wire, and a couple hours work. the controller is under the trunk floor on the left side, remove cover and you will see the unit. Cut red wire, extend both ends up to center console, remove inner console and take out the part you are going to cut a hole in and BE SURE TO MAKE THE HOLE WHERE IT WON'T INTERFERE WITH ANY ITEMS WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN. Wild to Mild the old fashion way. Good Luck
Exhaust switch 1.jpg Exhaust switch 3.jpg Exhaust switch 2.jpg Exhaust switch 4.jpg Exhaust switch 5.jpg Exhaust switch 6.jpg

Wiring in a switch would be nice, I fried my module by installing a Mild2Wild controller. So my valves are also stuck open, I noticed while manually cycling these at the exhaust tips that the valves are spring loaded open, that explains why these cars sound so cool for that 1st second on start up until vacuum closes the butterfly valves. So, you say you wired a switch to these? Can you explain that a little better please as I'd like to do the same. What component did you wire to, is there a solenoid or two that sends the vacuum signal? Thanks for any tips - Raz

Ok - I did some digging around under the car and found the "solenoid relay switch" that sends the vacuum to the flap valves, it's located on the far back edge passenger side under the storage tray. If there was a hole in the storage tray you could reach it, but there is not so getting to the tight spot underneath may prove a challenge if necessary. It consists of a large clip over the relay, a wiring connector, plus a few rubber lines holding it in place. I did order the Corvette exhaust control module and will see if that fixes it. (If it does I'll post the part #) later - Raz

Exhaust mild to wild, old school

Copy images to computer so you can zoom in on tags

I haven't been on this site since I sold my 06-V & would like to give you folks my wild to mild done in 2006 and still worked fine when sold. I did this in 2006 before wild to mild came out. Not a crawl under car type of thing. I will post pics here as to how to do it, all it requires is a $10 rocker switch, wire, and a couple hours work. the controller is under the trunk floor on the left side, remove cover and you will see the unit. Cut red wire, extend both ends up to center console, remove inner console and take out the part you are going to cut a hole in and BE SURE TO MAKE THE HOLE WHERE IT WON'T INTERFERE WITH ANY ITEMS WHEN YOU PUT IT BACK IN. Wild to Mild the old fashion way. Good Luck
View attachment 7485 View attachment 7486 View attachment 7487 View attachment 7488 View attachment 7489 View attachment 7490

Corvette exhaust module

Well, the Corvette module is physically identical to the XLRV module and seems to work the same as I can hear it's switch cycle when power is applied. However it did not solve my issue so next is the vacuum solenoid switch on the passenger underside which I do not believe is opening to cycle the valves. I'll report back once I've checked out the relay switch.

View attachment 7485 View attachment 7486 View attachment 7487 View attachment 7488 View attachment 7489 View attachment 7490

Exhaust valves

How can the butterfly valves in the XLRV be tested without running the engine. I don't think mine are opening , any suggestions welcome.

Exhaust baffles

Not to my knowledge, baffles will not open or close if engine is not running. Are you saying the vehicle isn't able to run? An easy way to see if they are working is to go too the trunk and open it up, in the left hand corner open up the lid. start the car & cut the red wire which will deactivate the baffles, now touch the two wires together and you should hear & see the baffles open up. i have no idea why you expect exhaust baffles to work without power to them. All those pictures I have posted should be of some value with your project. Good luck
How can the butterfly valves in the XLRV be tested without running the engine. I don't think mine are opening , any suggestions welcome.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom