Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Final lap crash

I told Bruce, it looked like a NASCAR cheap shot to get the win! Would have loved to see if their pit crews had 'words'. :rolleyes:

Another competitor slams Jan Magnussen into a wall
clearpixel.gif
By Jan Magnussen Presse - Jan Kaiser - 10-10-2009 Photo: Jan Kaiser.
clearpixel.gif
Another competitor slams Jan Magnussen into a wall in the final lap

OK after a medical checkup

The last race of the year in the American Le Mans series that was held at Laguna Seca in California ended in a violent crash involving Jan Magnussen. The race that was held over four hours and finished in darkness became a hectic and intense affair. The race finished early morning Danish time.

After 3 hours and 10 minutes Jan Magnussen in his Corvette was 14 seconds behind the leading GT Porsche driven by Jörg Bergmeister. Jan Magnussen drove his car to the edge and with 15 minutes left he had reeled in the Porsche and the two cars became entangled in a battle for the lead. Jan Magnussen was several times beside Bergmeister and with five minutes to go he passed him under braking into turn no. 1. But he overshot and Bergmeister could pass him again and retook the lead. With only two minutes left Magnussen passed him again but by doing that he had passed the white line for the pit and had to surrender the lead again.

When the two cars went into the final lap of the race Magnussen tried again towards the hairpin. Bergmeister blocked the inside line and Magnussen tried the outside line instead. He was in the sand but kept the momentum going, but was now 5 or 6 carlengths behind Bergmeister. Magnussen quickly reeled him in and reached him in the final corner where Bergmeister brakes early - Jan hits him - but at the same time passes him for the lead. Jan is now leading, but Bergmeister who earlier has been beaten in the last corner of a race has the nose of his car by the rear of Jans car and won't give up. On the sprint to the finish Bergmeister on purpose, He later admits in an interview, drives into the side of Jan's car which drives him sideways directly impacting with a concrete wall. While Bergmeister enjoys the spoils of victory, Jan Magnussen who got second, was at the medical center having a checkup.

"I was completely taken aback by that" an angry and beaten up Jan Magnussen claimed afterwards. "I have absolutely no idea of what Bergmeister did. He was far enough ahead after my last attempt to pass him that could have continued and have had the victory. But after that I don't know what he did. I was too far behind to make an attempt in the last corner, but then he parked the car and I couldn't avoid him. He went a little sideways at the corner and I get beside him and almost in the lead. I was sure that the victory was mine but then he decided he wouldn't lose in the last corner again and starts to drive into my side and continued until I was in the wall. We were close to the finish so I had the pedal to the metal and hit the wall hard. The car went up into the air and the impact hits me hard when the car landed. I'm very beaten up and so sore that it is hard to grasp. I have been to a couple of medical checks and they say that everything is ok."

http://www.janmagnussen.com/news.asp?NewsID=527731528

2 Attached Images

Laguna Seca 2009

Normally I really enjoy talking about what went on over a race weekend and sharing the inside scoop of what happened and how we did. Right now, I’m just still too upset about that finish and all that transpired. Needless to say the best car that should have won the race is destroyed, and the one driver that proved he was faster and better is very banged up and having to spend time healing. While the one with no integrity, honor or sportsmanship is fine.
Congratulations to Patrick Long who does deserve to be a champion. He’s a class act and fair driver at all times. One of the United States brightest young drivers. The same can be said about Seth Neiman and everyone on his team Flying Lizard. Great guys and a good team. Congratulations.
After the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor, Admiral Yamamoto was quoted as saying, “ I fear that all we have done is awaken a sleeping giant. “ You can fill in the rest as it relates to how next season will go.
As always, thanks to everyone that supports Corvette Racing and the American Le Mans Series.
Johnny
http://www.johnnyoconnell.com/

More video

From Corvetteblogger.com:

I received this youtube video link from John in California. The amateur video shot from the stands shows the conclusion of the ALMS race at Laguna Seca. The video clearly captures what we believed the sequence of events were all along: Magnussen was in front of Bergmeister in the Flying Lizards Porsche and was pulling away. Contact between the two cars caused the #3 Corvette C6.R to spin in front of the #45 Porsche and hard into the inside wall.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/index.cfm/2009/10/20/VIDEO-Another-View-of-the-Corvette-C6RPorsche-ALMS-GT2-Battle-at-Laguna-Seca

That's about the only way that can happen. I'm glad Jan was okay. This will cetainly ignite a fire in GT2 racing next year.

VERY unsportsmanlike conduct from the Lizards! :(

Yes, that wasn't what you would expect from the Flying Lizard team. It shows how much Jorge wanted the win. Jan drove a great race, clearly would have won GT2. It looks like the GT2 class @ Sebring 2010 will be interesting.

Update on Jan from Oliver Gavin

Comment from Oliver Gavin:

Quick update after Laguna. Spoke with Jan yesterday, he's doing pretty well but still very sore. He's found out that he fractured his tail bone in 2 places in the accident... That's got to hurt... A lot... The car stood up very well and is in the process of being fixed. P&M working their MAGIC! It will be ready for our test at Road Atlanta in November. Roll on 2010!

(Oliver drives the #4 Corvette C6-R)

(More on Jan's injuries:)
clearpixel.gif
By Jan Magnussen Presse - Jan Kaiser - 27-10-2009 Jan Magnussen hits the wall.
clearpixel.gif
At the last race of the ALMS Championship at Laguna Seca Jan Magnussen in his Corvette C6R was violently sent into the wall by another competitor at the finishing straight at nearly 200 km/h. Since that Jan has suffered with pains.

The data from the team shows that Jan at Laguna Seca California was subjected to forces measuring up to 52G, which in itself strains the body to extremes and has caused severe pains. Directly after the accident Jan Magnussen was examined at the track medical center and was declared fit. But the pains in the pelvis area that continued made Jan contact Team Denmark for a closer examination that showed a fractured coccyx, (Tailbone), and the pains from the ribs were caused by bleeding around these. It can’t be treated with anything apart from resting and painkillers for at least 6 weeks before the fracture to the coccyx has healed, so it was fortunate that the crash happened at the last race of the season even though Magnussen has been forced to postpone a couple of important tests.

"I’am still in pain, so I wanted another checkup by a doctor. Naturally my entire body hurts after such a crash, but I continued to suffer these severe pains and now we know why" says Jan Magnussen who still is outraged by having been driven into the wall. "To me and the team it is perfectly clear what happened at the accident and what happened just before that, and I must admit that I’m outraged by that dirty trick."

Thanks Bruce for keeping us updated on his progress.

Is there nothing that can be done? That crash appears to have been caused by the willful act of a competitor in an effort to win the race "at all costs." Poor sportsmanship doesn't even crack the surface!:pat:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom