Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Front Fender Side vent

GM MUSL

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR-V Infrared/Ebony
I have seen a few of these side vents on the front fenders in pics and one seller claimed it came from the factory that way. Does anyone know about these? Are they functional? I just sold my 06 XLR and am looking for a low km XLR-V and want 100% original so I question purchasing one with this if it is cut into the fender.
32070922749.349424362.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

The picture you posted is too small, but if it is the vertical vents at the rear of the fenders ahead of the doors, they are factory for 2009 model only.

I have seen a few of these side vents on the front fenders in pics and one seller claimed it came from the factory that way. Does anyone know about these? Are they functional? I just sold my 06 XLR and am looking for a low km XLR-V and want 100% original so I question purchasing one with this if it is cut into the fender.
32070922749.349424362.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

It is at the top of the fender near door. Looks like the one on Escalades. Try this pic.
32070922758.349424362.IM1.10.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

It is at the top of the fender near door. Looks like the one on Escalades. Try this pic.
32070922758.349424362.IM1.10.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

I'm pretty positive that is an aftermarket vent. The only vents that came on any XLR's was what Cubby said.....2009 and it was vertical on the front fender at the door.

Attachments

• 2009 XLR.jpg
    2009 XLR.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 397
Are the vents on the 09 functional - or are they just there to cover the factory flaw that is located there on every 04-08?

I'm pretty positive that is an aftermarket vent. The only vents that came on any XLR's was what Cubby said.....2009 and it was vertical on the front fender at the door.

Looks like the ones used on the CTS/CTS-V. They changed a little depending on the model year.

Are the vents on the 09 functional - or are they just there to cover the factory flaw that is located there on every 04-08?

I'm not familiar with any "factory flaw" you are referring to.:dunno: My wife has a '06 XLR base and I have a '07 XLR-V and ours don't have any factory flaws in that area.

???????? Please enlighten us of this factory flaw you speak of. I've owned two and have seen 100's of them and have never seen a flaw. :dunno:

................................................. or are they just there to cover the factory flaw that is located there on every 04-08?

I WOULD ALSO LIKE TO KNOW WHAT "FACTORY FLAW" IN THE 04 THRU 08 FRONT FENDERS ON THE XLRs YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT?
WOULD YOU PLEASE DESCRIBE THE FLAW YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!
IMHO THE ONLY
MODEL YEAR THAT HAD A FLAW IN THE FENDERS WAS THE 09 WITH THE ADDITION OF THOSE PHONY VERTICAL VENTS THEY ADDED. (Sorry about that Giz, I just don't like them. Personal taste.)

Every one I have seen - not as many here in Canada - have a distortion in the front fenders that shows up in only some light. It was not noticeable right away on my 06 infrared when I got it. Maybe it shows on certain colors. It runs the length of the fender like a wave one inch from the door gap from top to bottom exactly where the new 09 vents are. I laughed when I saw they added this. I think it is something due to the thickness of the fender there. You only see it when you look down the body and can't see it straight on. It doesn't show in pics. It is not that serious but I see all flaws.

I've seen the fender area you speak of and I'm sure they have too. I'm guessing they are not willing to call it a flaw. My very thoughts were that in 09 caddy decided to hide that odd looking spot on the fender. From the door edge forward about 2" ?

I've seen the fender area you speak of and I'm sure they have too. I'm guessing they are not willing to call it a flaw. My very thoughts were that in 09 caddy decided to hide that odd looking spot on the fender. From the door edge forward about 2" ?

That is it exactly.

I've noticed that & don't consider it a flaw. It looks to me like an intentional design to provide clearance when the door is opened.

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer so if someone wants to measure it & do calculations to establish that door clearance has nothing to do with it ... it won't hurt my feelings. Just my theory on it from the first time I noticed it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom