Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Front Plate Bracket

paulc17

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2006 Light Platinum XLR
Is there anything available to plug up the holes, that would be left in the front bumper, after I remove the license plate bracket?
I realize that anything I use would have to be painted to match the car.

Is there anything available to plug up the holes, that would be left in the front bumper, after I remove the license plate bracket?

Probably not for the DIYer. Whatever body shop you take the cover to to be refinishied should be able to fill the holes with a 2 part urethane product.

There actually is a product called Bumper Plugs (BumperPlugs.com) that is much less than doing it the right way, and reversible if you need to put it back on later. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable and fairly cheap.
Just checked... developed for Porsche's originally, but fit everything at $24.95 a pair.
Bruce

There actually is a product called Bumper Plugs (BumperPlugs.com) that is much less than doing it the right way, and reversible if you need to put it back on later. Not a perfect solution, but acceptable and fairly cheap.
Just checked... developed for Porsche's originally, but fit everything at $24.95 a pair.
Bruce

Interesting product... never knew such an item existed.

Sounds good. I'll take a look.
Thanks

Thankfully my V didn't have the front bracket on it when I bought it. I do have to display a front plate in IL, so I bought the electric remote model and have installed off center toward the passenger side of the front end. It works great! :)

I was thinking of removing the front plate bracket and installing a flip down bracket which folds and slides out of sight under the front bumper.
Has anyone ever installed one?

The bracket kit is shown on the link below.

http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-flip-down-holder.html

I was thinking of removing the front plate bracket and installing a flip down bracket which folds and slides out of sight under the front bumper.
Has anyone ever installed one?

The bracket kit is shown on the link below.

http://www.corvetteguys.com/corvette-flip-down-holder.html

I had seen Cubby had installed one on Scarlet V - so I went the same route (bought my car from Philadelphia - no front plates). I really like the way it looks (both up or down). It was easy to mount. Mine is mounted in the center, Cubby has his mounted offset - square to the front end angle. I think I have some pics in my gallery (if I don't, i'll get some).

Hope that helps.

I had seen Cubby had installed one on Scarlet V - so I went the same route (bought my car from Philadelphia - no from plates). I really like the way it looks (both up or down). It was easy to mount. Mine is mounted in the center, Cubby has his mounted offset - square to the front end angle. I think I have some pics in my gallery (if I don't, i'll get some).

Hope that helps.

Yes it does. Thanks.

I have been running without a front plate since I have been unwilling to drill holes in Susan's front bumper but am also required to display a front plate in my (and adjacent) state. How difficult is it to install this fold-down mount? Are there pre-existing mounting holes that you used or did you have to drill?

Thanks for the help.

Racingintherain

I have been running without a front plate since I have been unwilling to drill holes in Susan's front bumper but am also required to display a front plate in my (and adjacent) state. How difficult is it to install this fold-down mount? Are there pre-existing mounting holes that you used or did you have to drill?

Thanks for the help.

Racingintherain

I drilled the holes in mine... no pre-existing holes. Pretty easy install. The wiring for the remote control "flip down" probably was the most time consuming.

I drilled the holes in mine... no pre-existing holes. Pretty easy install. The wiring for the remote control "flip down" probably was the most time consuming.

I plan to purchase the manual bracket. I don't think I need the electric version and the install will be much easier.

I put my bumperplugs in last month and love them - easy install and perfect color match.

Sully

Bruce

I had bumperplugs for my porsche for the door key holes... good product.

I put my bumperplugs in last month and love them - easy install and perfect color match.

Sully

My car is also light platinum so it would be helpful to know what color plug kit you ordered.
Thanks.

OBTW, Illinois state troopers are notorious for ticketing Illinois cars without a front plate.

OBTW, Illinois state troopers are notorious for ticketing Illinois cars without a front plate.

Several of us Illinois owners have the "hide-a-way" license plate frames... It kept me from having to drill holes in my front end when I bought my car from Philly (who do not require front plates).

Here are a couple from Mid America Motorworks:
http://www.mamotorworks.com/corvette?frame=1.7789

:wave:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry