Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Garage door opener problem

Hawkeye, did you ever get the opener programmed? I installed a new opener this past weekend and can't get my XLR to work with it. Somebody mentioned don't do amaster erase, why is that? The opener is a new Chamberlain. If I try matching the remote from the opener to my car, I don't get the fast flashing leds while holding down both simultaneously. I hate the thought of having to carry one of the remotes with me when I have buttons on the visor. Any ideas from anybody I will certaiy appreciate it.
That's been on the back burner for me. I'll have my brother -n-law or my sis help. But it'll be at a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem and working with Chamberlain was told I had to buy a repeater for around $50.00 to make it work. Our system is not Homelink but was made by Link and does not work with many openers.

Well after going out and finding the box and reading where to contact if garage door opener is compatible, nope is not compatible with my XLR. So like you I decided to look around for who might have this repeater and found some on Amazon. Quite a bit cheaper than Chamberlain, $20.00 plus shipping $4.74 and estimated tax which was zero. I will post back when I get it to let everybody know if it works. Reading a bit of the information I can't remember if it was Chamberlain or HomeLink, said that openers made after 2011 were changed. :mad: Oh well technology changes. Too bad we can't get updates to our navigation etc. Not to get off the garage door opener subject, but one thing I would like to see changed is the display so I could see the time without having to put on my reading glasses. I guess I could use the app on my phone to open the door, but that is fumbling with something I would rather not while driving. Reaching up to the visor button would be so much better. :(

I hope it works for you but I researched the repeaters being sold on Amazon and found where it said they would not work with the Lear Car2u system. It said to call Lear for the correct repeater.

I hope it works for you but I researched the repeaters being sold on Amazon and found where it said they would not work with the Lear Car2u system. It said to call Lear for the correct repeater.

Well thank you for that bit of information. Did they tell you the model number or anything like that for what we need? :dunno: I think I saved that link of info, and will have to go back and find that again.

edit: Here is the link to the repeater to match my door opener. This is from the HomeLink site with my make, model and year of XLR seen at the top of the page. Notice there is a note highlighted in pink in the middle of the page with reference to the repeater so that is where I continued to.

HomeLink

Not saying this is going to work, but I thought I'd at least roll the dice and give it a try.
SrChief, did they tell you anything about a difference in model year of your car? Not sure when they changed to Lear Car2U.

Last edited:
FWIW, I would approach this issue by installing a separate receiver that works with both the Lear and Homelink systems. I did this when installing a driveway gate and have no problems configuring both Homelink ( Dodge truck) and Lear (08 XLR-V) systems. It has a dry set of contacts for connecting to the opener, just like a pushbutton. Not a repeater and much cheaper. It works for me, YMMV.

FWIW, I would approach this issue by installing a separate receiver that works with both the Lear and Homelink systems. I did this when installing a driveway gate and have no problems configuring both Homelink ( Dodge truck) and Lear (08 XLR-V) systems. It has a dry set of contacts for connecting to the opener, just like a pushbutton. Not a repeater and much cheaper. It works for me, YMMV.

Just went back and read on the Lear website, Car2U started in 2007 XLR's

http://www.learcar2u.com/templates/learcar2u/images/pdfs/Cadillac.pdf

Just went back and read on the Lear website, Car2U started in 2007 XLR's

http://www.learcar2u.com/templates/learcar2u/images/pdfs/Cadillac.pdf

I agree with that. My Caddy has Car2U and my Dodge has Homelink. Both were able to be programmed to my garage door (rolling code) and my gate (fixed code). Many times the problem is the frequency used not the method. That is why I use a separate receiver to activate my gate. Installation was connecting 2 wires and programing both auto systems per the instructions. No proprietary repeaters required. Programming the fixed code into the Car2U system is a little tedious but can be done easy enough.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom