Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Garage door opener problem

monepit

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 black raven
I've developed a strange problem with the garage door opener in the visor. I have it programed to open two of my doors. It used to open both doors at the corner of the street so the doors are open when I get there. Lately one of the doors will still open from the corner but the other will only open when you are right in front of the door. The door will still open from the corner with either one of my other two vehicles so that eliminates the receiver, it has to be in the transmitter in the visor. Any thoughts on what might be causing it.

That's an unusual one. Did you or anyone else add anything electronic to your car? It could be causing interference. Is the valet switch in the "OFF" position (it should be for the opener to operate properly). Has your battery been dead or disconnected for any length of time? You may need to reprogram it if that is the case (but I know you drive the car, so I doubt that is it).

There really isn't much more to the "HomeLink" than what you see (no hidden antennas or such). You may also call HomeLink™ at 1-800-355-3515 and get their input.

Check the Valet switch - that's my best guess.

CCClark suggested reprogramming. I did it and it work's from the corner again. Who would guess.

Anyone familiar with the change/difference as to Home Link vs Universal Home Remote?
My 2008 XLR has Universal Home Remote in the visor. Doesn't program like Home Link- (I have had Home Link on our CTS, and on a Lexus, Mercedes, Range Rover, Audi, and BMW without issue)
Normal Home Link (all the ones I have owned) use the hand held remote from the door/device to program the car's Home Link transmitter -- going through a sequence of flashing lights. My XLR's Universal Home Remote is programed without use of the remote--but apparently only so long as the door system is "pre-known" by Universal Home Remote.
Our neighborhood entrance gate does not work for the XLR (Did/does with all our other Home Link cars programed using the applicable remote). Therefore the Universal Home Remote folks (called "LearCar2U") arranged to add our community gate into their overall system and also sent me a new visor to be installed into the XLR that now includes our community gate.
The new visor arrived this week with instructions to have it installed by a Cadillac dealer. Trouble is that their new XLR visor doesn't match the one it is replacing (or the passenger side visor). Entirely different type of fabric; but the color is a pretty good match.

Has anyone gone through this process or heard about this? Baffles me why anyone would replace Home Link but I'm a "don't fix what's not broken" kind of guy.

Any insights or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Anyone familiar with the change/difference as to Home Link vs Universal Home Remote?
My 2008 XLR has Universal Home Remote in the visor. Doesn't program like Home Link- (I have had Home Link on our CTS, and on a Lexus, Mercedes, Range Rover, Audi, and BMW without issue)
Normal Home Link (all the ones I have owned) use the hand held remote from the door/device to program the car's Home Link transmitter -- going through a sequence of flashing lights. My XLR's Universal Home Remote is programed without use of the remote--but apparently only so long as the door system is "pre-known" by Universal Home Remote.
Our neighborhood entrance gate does not work for the XLR (Did/does with all our other Home Link cars programed using the applicable remote). Therefore the Universal Home Remote folks (called "LearCar2U") arranged to add our community gate into their overall system and also sent me a new visor to be installed into the XLR that now includes our community gate.
The new visor arrived this week with instructions to have it installed by a Cadillac dealer. Trouble is that their new XLR visor doesn't match the one it is replacing (or the passenger side visor). Entirely different type of fabric; but the color is a pretty good match.

Has anyone gone through this process or heard about this? Baffles me why anyone would replace Home Link but I'm a "don't fix what's not broken" kind of guy.

Any insights or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Can't get our entrance gate to open on the Escalade, but no problem with the XLR .... go figure. :rolleyes:

My suggestion is for you to ask them to replace BOTH visors .... then they should match .... they would probably do that.

garage doors

Folks remember it is not always the car. Sometimes it is the receiver on the garage door unit itself. The only way to be sure is to check the function with a garage door remote in comparison to the XLR. :pat:

Home Link

Last night when I returned from a meeting my garage door opener in the DTS would not open the door, I hit the button for the left door and nothing. Shut the car off, came into the house, went to the garage and hit the wall button and the door opened right up. I thought maybe it had frozen to the floor. When I parked the car inside the garage and tried to close the door from in the car the little green light did no blink. Today I checked the valet button in the glove compartment, it was turned off, I turned it on, then turned it off, tried the Home Link and the light was green, came home and got right into the garage. I think I have a ghost in my car as the glove box was not opened yesterday at all. Strange when we try little simple things it corrects the problem.

Therefore the Universal Home Remote folks (called "LearCar2U") arranged to add our community gate into their overall system and also sent me a new visor to be installed into the XLR that now includes our community gate.

Second try on a new XLR visor that has been reprogramed for our community gate. The visor arrived Friday. A perfect match by the LearCar2 U folks this time. I now need to have the new visor installed and then determine if all this hassel brings a successful result. More to come on this issue.

Steve

Second try on a new XLR visor that has been reprogramed for our community gate. The visor arrived Friday. A perfect match by the LearCar2 U folks this time. I now need to have the new visor installed and then determine if all this hassel brings a successful result.

After Cadillac installed the replacement visor our community gate still refused to open. Apparently the translator board that LearCar2U had to specially install at the gate went bad (twice). Yesterday I was finally able to program the gate into the visor and get it to open. YEA!!!
I understand that our community gate operates at 418mhz which I am told is not a typical system. Therefore LearCar2U had to provide a new XLR visor that transmitted a compatible signal and also had to install a translation device at the gate receiver. None of this cost me anything but someone incurred a lot of costs to get it in place to work. If I get another XLR or a V it will need a visor change but everything else is now in place. As for the Sears garage door openers they worked with either visor without any issues. Go figure.......fancier isn't necessarily better!

Steve

I had a problem with my 07 XLR with the Lear system not opening my door. After a call to Lear (Cadillac Customer Service provided number)
they sent me a receiver to adapt my door opener to the Lear System.
Works great now. This was done at no cost to me.

. I was finally able to program the gate into the visor and get it to open. YEA!!!

It took awhile but I also found that the LearCar2U folks never gave up trying to fix my community gate opening issue. They sent me 2 new visors and made 2 trips to my community to install the necessary components at the community gate to ensure it would work correctly. I give them high marks for their efforts!!
Your experience is similar to mine...They did a good job for me!

Steve

SrChief,

Glad to hear everything worked out for you!

Thank you,
Caron, Cadillac Customer Service

I had a problem with my 07 XLR with the Lear system not opening my door. After a call to Lear (Cadillac Customer Service provided number)
they sent me a receiver to adapt my door opener to the Lear System.
Works great now. This was done at no cost to me.

A follow up on my Lear opner. I had to replace my door opener and bought a new Craftsman Opener. I could not get it to program and call Lear to ask how to hook up the converter box to this new opener and was told that it would not work with this unit. Then I was told instead of a converter box I needed a repeater box. I asked how to get it and was told it was $39.95 plus $10.00 shipping Plus tax. I will just use the unit that came with the new opener!!
I will never buy another car that has a Lear unit in it.

I will never buy another car that has a Lear unit in it.

Amen.

Lear could not source the parts to create a new visor for my 2008 Platinum edition (microfiber surface on the visors) so eventually arranged with my community manager to have an alternate receiver installed. It works terribly; I have to all but get the nose under the gate to get it to work.

The ugliest part was that my community has two gates and Lear would not fix both even though they are at opposite ends (and, in fact, are in two different cities). I finally found someone else with the Lear POS in their Buick and they got Lear to fix the other gate.

Amen.

Lear could not source the parts to create a new visor for my 2008 Platinum edition (microfiber surface on the visors) so eventually arranged with my community manager to have an alternate receiver installed. It works terribly; I have to all but get the nose under the gate to get it to work.

The ugliest part was that my community has two gates and Lear would not fix both even though they are at opposite ends (and, in fact, are in two different cities). I finally found someone else with the Lear POS in their Buick and they got Lear to fix the other gate.

Almost all gates/openers can have a different receiver attached to trigger them. Both my gate and door openers work fine with my Homelink and Lear systems. One is a rolling code and one is a fixed code. Granted it was a little bit of a PIA to program the Lear Car2U. They both work from about 100 feet away. It sounds like there is a problem with the second receiver installation, like not hooking up the antenna or not getting it outside the enclosure?

Here is the reply I got from Lear.

I do apologize for the inconvenience. Your Car2u system will work with every other model of Chamberlain/Craftsman garage door opener on the market place. These new units were created after the Car2u technology was invented. We were not consulted by the Chamberlain group regarding this technology. Unfortunately as you have mentioned the Car2u conversion module will not connect with the Craftsman garage door opener either. As you may recall we sent the conversion module to you at no charge. That is because we developed that device in house. The Car2u repeater kit is manufactured by Chamberlain group. We have to purchase these units from Chamberlain directly and do not see a profit on them. The amount we sell these for is exactly what we pay to have them developed and ordered. I do apologize again for the inconvenience and please feel free to contact us with any more questions or concerns.

I think this is part of a corporate power play and Chamberlin/ Johnson Controls should be ashamed. Johnson Controls owns Chamberlin and Homelink. Homelink lost GMs (and others) business to Lear. Then they come out with a proprietary interface that will not work with Car2U/Lear systems.

When you consider that including a very simple and inexpensive ability to use a dry contact push button for operating would have solved the problem.

The thought of requiring purchasers to pay a premium/penalty to be able to have a functioning product is nothing more than corporate greed. I've read where repeaters were being needed even for their own Homelink operation.

I hope this backfires on Johnson Controls by lost sales. Other companies have learned the hard way that not being backward compatible is a mistake.

I know I read somewhere to deprogrammed the home link when selling/trading in. Thought that you would just press button till it blinks. But not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know I read somewhere to deprogrammed the home link when selling/trading in. Thought that you would just press button till it blinks. But not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
...and remove any stored addresses from the NAV system.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom