Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Gas

Lola's Mom

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Black Raven
My little niche city .... $4.39 gal this morning. I feel like I am getting :bash:.

(Santee, CA)

I think fuel prices are going to go up even more. This will really hurt our economy...what little there is.

Yet the newspeople say we are driving more fuel efficient cars & using less gas than ever. Guess record prices are our reward. :confused:

This is why I can't get a car that requires premium for my 60 mile round trip commute. Eliminates a lot of cool/fun cars! :(

$4.39 for regular or super ?? here in montreal 5,20 to 5,92 for super i check doe electric motor
but bat dont fit in trunk when roof open :)))))

$4.39 for regular or super ?? here in montreal 5,20 to 5,92 for super i check doe electric motor
but bat dont fit in trunk when roof open :)))))

$4.39/gal is super .... @ ARCO That's our 'cheapy' gas station ... At Shell or one of the other 'big' names it is $4.59 - uh, today .... if you venture out by the beach or downtown area, bring your savings passbook :pat: The prices are increasing by 2-5 cents every day for the last 2 weeks. We are quickly approaching the $5 mark and will probably pass that.
The sad thing is that those 2-5 cents are adding up to an increase of well over $100 month in increases and more if you're a commuter.

Leasing a Volt for 3000 down and 298 a month is starting to look pretty good.
Bruce

Leasing a Volt for 3000 down and 298 a month is starting to look pretty good.
Bruce

I understand your thought, but I can buy a lot of gas for $3000 and $298 per month!

However, if I only drove 50-60miles per day to/from work AND was looking for a new vehicle, I WOULD consider the Volt. It is a nice vehicle and it would be neat to use only electricity to commute.

And I like the idea that it will run on gasoline for longer trips as well.

On another note, I saw a new 2012 Malibu yesterday at my local GM dealer. It's NICE! I have rented the Malibu in the past when on fly/drive business trips.

Cost to operate a Chevy Volt
Eric Bolling (Fox Business Channel's Follow the Money) test drove the Chevy Volt at the invitation of General Motors.For four days in a row, the fully charged battery lasted only 25 miles before the Volt switched to the reserve gasoline engine.Eric calculated the car got 30 mpg including the 25 miles it ran on the battery. So, the range including the 9 gallon gas tank and the 16 kwh battery is approximately 270 miles. It will take you 4 1/2 hours to drive 270 miles at 60 mph. Then add 10 hours to charge the battery and you have a total trip time of 14.5 hours. In a typical road trip your average speed (including charging time) would be 20 mph.According to General Motors, the Volt battery hold 16 kwh
of electricity. It takes a full 10 hours to charge a drained battery.The cost for the electricity to charge the Volt is never mentioned so I looked up what I pay for electricity.I pay approximately (it varies with amount used and the seasons) $1.16 per kwh. 16 kwh x $1.16 per kwh = $18.56 to charge the battery.
$18.56 per charge divided by 25 miles = $0.74 per mile to operate the Volt using the battery.
Compare this to a similar size car with a gasoline engine only that gets 32 mpg.$3.19 per gallon divided by 32 mpg = $0.10 per mile.
The gasoline powered car cost about $15,000 while the Volt costs $46,000.........
So Government wants us to pay 3 times as much, for a car that costs more that 7 times as much to run, and takes 3 times longer to drive across country..... REALLY ?????

It only makes economic sense to exchange vehicles if the reduced cost of increasing fuel efficiency more than offsets the cost difference of the monthly payments involved. For a car that is owned outright ($0 monthly payment) this will never happen. This formula does ignore the cost of depreciation or replacement investment, but it is pretty good as a 'fat thumb' estimator.

Ugh. Gas went up another 13 cents/gal this morning. :squint:
Ours went up over 15 cents/gal this week (my wife filled up yesterday, on the way to work - that station was 20 cents/gal higher on the way home from work last night.
Crazy! :rotate:

I understand your thought, but I can buy a lot of gas for $3000 and $298 per month!

However, if I only drove 50-60miles per day to/from work AND was looking for a new vehicle, I WOULD consider the Volt. It is a nice vehicle and it would be neat to use only electricity to commute.

And I like the idea that it will run on gasoline for longer trips as well.

On another note, I saw a new 2012 Malibu yesterday at my local GM dealer. It's NICE! I have rented the Malibu in the past when on fly/drive business trips.
It wouldn't replace anything, just add to my small fleet. Right now I commute in a Silverado and pay around $300 a month for gas. If I put that money towards the Volt, and with my commute it would be all battery, then recharge at work, basically it washes out, For me, that makes more sense than buying a Cruze (my son has one, nice car) or something else. I guess if I'm going to buy something for mileage, it would be a Volt. Plus it keep miles off my truck, and basically it costs me insurance and tags for one more car.
Rydell lent me one for a few days, it's a nice ride. and I still have everything else for when I want something different.
Just thinking now, but that sometimes leads to trouble.
Bruce

We are still better off than our European counterparts.

In Europe the average cost/gal is about $7.71 (1.51 E/l * 3.78 / .74)
In England the average cost/gal is about $8.15 (1.34 L/l * 3.78 / .62)

The decimal numbers in the formulae are the current currency conversion factors from Euros & Pounds to $s respectively.

The artical Bruce posted is wrong. I'm in the utility business. Electricity is not $1.16 per kwh. We have the highest electric rates in the tri state area and we pay 14.5 cents per kwh. My son lives in ky and he pays 5.5 cents per kwh. Germany on the other hand pays 22.5 cents per kwh. That's because most of theirs is produced by solar. Thanks green energy. So I think he got his decimal point wrong. He's probably paying 11.6 not $1.16. The volt would be a good deal as long as the environmentalists don't succeed in getting electric rates higher. I've seen our rates raise from 7.7 to 14.5 in the last 15 years. Not because of greed but because of government regulations. I'll wait for the Cadillac ELR. It's a nice looking caddy on a volt platform. I saw a picture the other day and if that is what they produce I may buy one.

This thread reminded me of how high gas prices actually saved me money when I bought my current Tahoe!

When I ordered my 2008 Tahoe in spring of 2008, there was a $4000 rebate on them from GM. It was ordered with the agreement that the rebate had to still be in effect when I took delivery, or I didn't have to buy it. By the way, this was all done via a handshake, no deposit or contract (I had purchased my previous Tahoes from the same dealer).

Prior to the time of delivery, the rebate was increased to $5000, due the the rise in gas prices, well above $3.50 per gallon. When my Tahoe came in on a Thursday afternoon, the dealership called me and asked if I wanted to take delivery on Friday. I said no, I was going to be out of town and would take delivery on Monday.

By this time, gas was approaching $4.00 per gallon. I went to take delivery early Monday afternoon, and my sales rep. said to me "You're a lucky guy". I asked how so, and he told me that GM had just announced that effective Tuesday morning, the rebate had been increased another $1000 to $6000!

I told him that I would be back on Tuesday, but he said that wouldn't be necessary, as we would date all the paperwork for the next day. So, as a result, I got a $6000 rebate, an increase of $2000 due to the increased price of gas!

One other note. After all the paperwork was completed and I was ready to leave, I gave my sales rep. $100. He could have said nothing to me about the additional $1000 and then later told me that he didn't know until the next day. My thought was that I would be glad to reward him $100 for every $1000 he could save me!

Guess I better get out there and fill up. Even though our prices here in fl are at 369 for premium. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351129694.593064.jpg

I paid $4.29/gal for regular ..... down from $4.95/gal my last fill. Boo.

I filled the tank on the 20th @ $3.69 a gallon, had not fueled since June 24th, almost 4 months. I also get 10 cents a gallon reduction using my Fry's card. The internet says gas prices are falling.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom