Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Got rid of my Mag Ride Shocks!

just buy the stock z06 Corvette shocks. you can get a set of take offs with no miles on them on ebay for 400$ and the sims for 200 .Add a sway bar for 125 and your ride will be as good to better than it ever was when new. I just road in a car with brand new Mags on it and it did not ride a bit better that I could tell. Mine with the sway bar was much flatter on the exit ramp and did not sway when changing lanes fast. Your suspension module has to be working to use the non mag shocks. I now have a work around for bad modules that will turn the dash light off.

read the corvette forums the guys that replaced their z06 shocks with bilsteins did not notice any difference unless they went with the comp shocks and had the car lowered. springs changed and wheels upgraded to wider. really depends on how hard you drive the car and if you have upgraded wheels and tires. Plus make sure to check into the rear sway bar if you have not already. Unless you just want them yaller and blu shocks under your car buy the z06 for 300 and see a great improvement over what you have. 1997-2013 Chevrolet C5 C6 Corvette GM AC DELCO Z06 Shock Absorbers Upgrade Kit | eBay

I have done this swap on 5 cars so far and every one has been satisfied. you can always paint these yaller if you want to. HAHA

I just replaced the shocks and Casper's Simulators. The car rides very well now.
The Z06 Shocks $270, Casper's $180, Install and wheel alignment $511 Total $961.
Thanks for your help.

One difference between Corvettes and XLRs is that the Tech II has an option to disable the F55 (45) suspension so the body control module ignores the input from the shocks. That’s because Corvettes sold F55 as an option. All XLRs had the MHD shocks, so there is no option to turn it off in the Tech II software. These simulators are what have been used to satisfy the BCM and eliminate the DIC alerts. The only comment I have heard is that the clip may not line up precisely so they were tie-wrapped in place.

C6 Corvette RTD Simulators - SouthernCarParts.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hello, did you lower the vehicle? did you buy aftermarket springs

Yes, All four Bilsteins for $396 plus simulators for $218.88, grand total of $614.88. Plus the car rides like a dream, as a Cadillac should.

Oh Yeah! My XLR has 81,000 miles, so I didn't fell bad that I had to replace the shocks. I have owned the car for two and a half years. It never road quite right, then the "clunk" started and kept getting worst. It was the shocks the whole time.

If you want a little stiffer/sporty ride you could buy KYB's or Koni's. You could also use Z51 or Z06 shocks too. It opens a lot of doors for the XLR.

The simulator kit that I purchased came with the four shock simulators, and it also came with four ride height simulators too. So, you could disconnect your ride height sensors and lower the car. If you buy the simulators from Caspers website they are only $175.

Part #'s:
Front Shocks, Bilstein B8, 24-029773
Rear Shocks, Bilstein B8, 24-029780
Simulators, Caspers Electronics, 109096
RTD Simulator C6 'Vette

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. I'll be happy to help if I can. I did a lot of research on this subject.

See Ya! Randy
hello, did you change the springs

No Pictures, but there right on top, from what I seen on my 05

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just follow the magnetic shock wire to the top of shock, they fit on that wire end, I believe it’s a plug end and simulators plug into that plug end to trick the computer to think it’s still attached to a mag shock!

Hi SeahaKin.

See the attached XlR rear shock, that could answer your concerns.

IAN:wave:

s-l1600[1].jpg

This is valuable information and with your permission I’d like to bother you further with it as soon as in finish the restoration of my 65 Deville Convertible

Soft ride and proper height shocks

Hi XLR members.

Hi have this week made a search for the replacement of my mag ''wet'' shocks.
This thread suggest the Bilstein B8 units for a more sporty driving while keeping the mag shocks ride, however some members report some button out in hitting their driveway.

The same after market Bilstein B6 are also available for the regular
FE1 OEM ride and height and are the same as the Corvette/XLR mag ride.
Enclosed are the photos and the parts numbers for the individual units and also for the complete front/rear B6 Shocks kit.

An other choice is the OEM base corvette of GM and AcDelco parts numbers for the front and rear FE1 soft ride/height type.
These shocks are more economical and they should give you the same smooth driving of the XLR.

If you like a more agressive ride and height, then the B8 could be a good choice.

IAN:blinzel:

75-87370_b7-1[1].jpg560-612_Primary__ra_p[1].jpgs-l1600[3] (2).jpg

Hi XLR members.

Hi have this week made a search for the replacement of my mag ''wet'' shocks.
This thread suggest the Bilstein B8 units for a more sporty driving while keeping the mag shocks ride, however some members report some button out in hitting their driveway.

The same after market Bilstein B6 are also available for the regular
FE1 OEM ride and height and are the same as the Corvette/XLR mag ride.
Enclosed are the photos and the parts numbers for the individual units and also for the complete front/rear B6 Shocks kit.

An other choice is the OEM base corvette of GM and AcDelco parts numbers for the front and rear FE1 soft ride/height type.
These shocks are more economical and they should give you the same smooth driving of the XLR.

If you like a more agressive ride and height, then the B8 could be a good choice.

IAN:blinzel:

View attachment 9612View attachment 9613View attachment 9614

Ian,
My mechanic suggested KYB shocks. I ultimately bought mag ride shocks from Rock Auto. I saw no improvement in ride at all. Of course you will have to get the Casper Electronics Mag ride simulators. I was somewhat surprised that there were only plugs for the front shocks!! Something to check out.

KYB Shocks for the C6 Corvette

Last edited:
nerk....

Why not, any aftermarket shocks could be good, it depend also of your style of driving.

On the KYB site they featured that their shocks are of some a stiffer ride, if that is what you want, try it.

The Mag shocks have fluid, the same as the regular ones fe1, however the particules in the fluid react in less of a second at the road conditions with the help of an electric magnetic piston that make the fluid stiffer or softer.

Few years ago I replace all of them, today 3 are leaking, again, for me the solution is to replace them by the soft ride GM OEM fe1 corvette shocks, enclosed is a listing of the codes features that explain it.

I am not looking for handling performances. I am looking for the softer ride shocks I can get, the fe1 seems to be it, I will try them…….remember converting is always a risk.

I am working on the ''plug'' and will make a thread about it shortly, the kit I beleive has the necessary '' plugs '' for the 4 wheels.

Thanks, and good luck in making your choice.

IAN :wave:

capture_8a6a8ba6f6a5979bcc471ffbf265dae9128b1f0e[1].jpghqdefault[1].jpg

you will not be happy with the soft ride corvette shocks. I have pulled them off new corvettes and that's the first thing people hate is the ride they give. If you go over to read the corvette forums the people that buy the bilsteins base shocks say they are no better than the stock shocks. I have installed at least a dozen maybe closer to 15 sets of the z06 upgrade shocks on the xlr s and about that many on the base corvette . Not a single complaint . its a perfect upgrade ,cheap and will last you 40,000 miles and unless you want the yellow shocks showing behind your wheels , I personally would not buy them. If you want to experience what the car felt like when it was new and everything worked then this is the best money you can spend. If some one want to try and see what the soft stock shocks fee like I still a have a couple sets on the shelves with 1000 miles or less on them that I have not thrown away The local parts store no name shocks are actually an upgrade over these. Just have your hands firmly on the wheel because when a semi passes you the car is going to feel like its about to change lanes

best bang for the buck are these
97 - 13 C5 C6 CORVETTE UPGRADE STANDARD FRONT & REAR SHOCK ABSORBERS TO Z06 ZO6 | eBay

Last edited:
Soft or stiffer ride

Sally.

Why some peoples are changing their regular shocks while the car is still on warranty, it indicate that because of their style of driving they want a stiffer suspension….. and why not.

The Bilstein promotions videos explain that the B8 is stiffer without compromising the ride, however the shocks is also lower and its travel is also shorter, lately we have debate the problems of buttom out suspensions, that could be very well it.

Personally I am not a drag racer or a track racing driver I just want to enjoy the ride of my XLR, for this…. my opinion is, a soft OEM fe1 corvette could give me that satisfaction, is this a risk, of course, and the same with B8 upgraded XLR.

The low mileage shocks that you have changed and not putted in the garbage, indicate that these fe1 shocks are still fine, since you want to sell them as a replacement, (hoping at a very reasonable price ).

This issue and the opinions are fines for the members, as they will get informed of the differents suspensions features, enclosed is a listing that will inform them.

Also enclosed is also a drawing that indicate to the members when changing their Mag leaking shocks.

IAN :blinzel:

capture_8a6a8ba6f6a5979bcc471ffbf265dae9128b1f0e[1].jpg0A1    front-shock-replacement-guide[1].jpg

Last edited:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back