Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! GPS system

klaptrapper

My XLR/V(s)
2006-V black, ebony
I know this subject has been addressed in the past, but I seem to have lost it.
I have resorted to using my Garmin GPS in liu of theone in situ in the car. Primarily because I sometimes need to make minor adjustments to my route. I am frustrated by the big brother aspect of the GPS function in my car.
I believe there is a sequence of controls which can permit use of the GPS function, while under weigh. Does someone on this net have such a procedure? Or modification? If so, I would appreciate having it. Since I paid for this car, I can see no possible reason to withhold some of its functions to me.

Thank you and sincerely

Rusty

I have resorted to using my Garmin GPS in liu of theone in situ in the car. Primarily because I sometimes need to make minor adjustments to my route. I am frustrated by the big brother aspect of the GPS function in my car.
I believe there is a sequence of controls which can permit use of the GPS function, while under weigh. Does someone on this net have such a procedure? Or modification? If so, I would appreciate having it. Since I paid for this car, I can see no possible reason to withhold some of its functions to me.

Thank you and sincerely

Rusty

That little trick was, I believe, only available in 2004 cars.

Thank you and sincerely

Rusty

http://www.kawal.net/navigation.htm

Worked on my '06 XLR-V

Hey Richard, which modification alternative did you use on your V? I have a 2008 XLR-V and would like to mod my GPS also. Thanks in advance, Bill

If you go throught them, you'll find that they all basically do the same thing... which is disconnecting the VSS wire.

If you go throught them, you'll find that they all basically do the same thing... which is disconnecting the VSS wire.
Thanks, I realized that after reading again. So my next question is, where did you put the switch on you XLR? Can you post a pic? Also, how on earth did you get at the back of your Nav unit? The instructions are for a Vette which is quite different than our XLRs. Cheers, Bill

Navigation Commander installed and working great!

I got the Sunset Orange Navigation Commander installed this weekend and now my XLR is finally capable of nav inputs while moving like my other cars. Ben was a great help translating the install changes from the C6 to the XLR, and now all I have to do to input into the nav is hold the Reset button on the DIC for three seconds and the VSS is disabled. Another touch of the reset button and its back on. I'm loving it!

Thanks, I realized that after reading again. So my next question is, where did you put the switch on you XLR? Can you post a pic? Also, how on earth did you get at the back of your Nav unit? The instructions are for a Vette which is quite different than our XLRs. Cheers, Bill

Removing panels, console, and cover is super simple in this car. Most just snap in and out. You do have to remove the shifter knob (T15 Torx, I believe, under the bottom beauty ring of the shifter) to remove the center console and the shifter console has to be moved away from the center console surround before it can be removed (pull strait out) without damage. Then there just 4 10mm bolts holding the nav in place.

On my 05 XLR I used to be able to enter a service menu by pressing in the lower right hand corner of the routing screen for 5 seconds. Then once in the menu select RUN and then RETURN and I was golden. My 08 lets me in the service menu but doesn't let me select run :pat:. So I guess I am off to look at switches. :)

Sully

Not to change the subject, but is there an update available from the 2008 GPS dvd??

Not to change the subject, but is there an update available from the 2008 GPS dvd??

We gave up on the disks and now use the GPS on our phones ..... got tired of taking ramps on and off of the freeways when roads were under construction, etc. - Especially when in a caravan .... inconvenient, and at times embarrasing .... everyone seems to have a different version inserted .... This year in Colorado half of our caravan turned right and half turned left .... we all ended up in the same place miles later. :willy_nilly:

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom