Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Griots Products

MarkSki

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2004 Thunder Grey XLR
There is a Griots Garage in Tacoma WA.. They put on car care classes for car clubs and people that pull in off of the road.

While on a trip to Seattle I got caught in constant rain for 140 miles. I stopped in at the Griot's Garage which is a store with several fantastic older race cars that won some of the prestigious races.

They pulled my Vette into one of their garage stalls and demoed their waterless spray on car cleaner. They showed me how to clean the car without water. They did 1/2 of my hood, leaving the other half dirty. When they were done they turned on a hand held light that showed me the difference better than I could see with my eye and also showed me the scratches in my clear coat that I could not see without that light. They went over those with another product and the paint/clear coat was perfect. Oh, they also did the second half of the hood before they were finished.

I was sold. I ended up leaving $350.00 at the store and came home with a buffer and several of their wheel, paint, glass, and interior cleaners.

The other day while I was at work with my XLR, it rained. On my trip home, 36 miles from work, it rained all the way. Being gray dirt doesn't show up that much on the car but I knew it was there. Today it is 21 degrees outside. I decided to try the waterless spray on cleaner and I was really impressed. I have never used it even though I've had it for over a year. I used the micro towels that came with the kit and when I was done, the Grey Jewel shines once again! No scratches and NO dirt. It feels as smooth as if I just finished waxing it.

I'm sold on Griot's products and if you're looking for a product that will clean your wheels, put a long lasting protectant on your tires or cleaners, polishes and wax for your XLR, look into Griots.

For those of you that live in the midwest, when I order products from Griots online, they are shipped from Wisconsin. I usually have to wait at least a week to get my stuff, you should be able to get your order in a couple of days.

I'm not sure if they have a store/garage any place other than Tacoma but it's worth looking into. You could see first hand how to use the products and they'll do part of your car for you. Then you'll have to go home and finish the job. :laugh:

I will 2nd this product I actually bought a gallon of it to use through the winter when I drive Roxy in the rain Orr wet roads although I have my garage heated no way to wash with water, This stuff works!....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Griot Products

I bought the window cleaning kit in hopes of getting to those tight corners. Have not used it yet. Could you clue us into the part numbers of the cleaning products you are recommending? Thanks, aRTHUR7 k
There is a Griots Garage in Tacoma WA.. They put on car care classes for car clubs and people that pull in off of the road.

While on a trip to Seattle I got caught in constant rain for 140 miles. I stopped in at the Griot's Garage which is a store with several fantastic older race cars that won some of the prestigious races.

They pulled my Vette into one of their garage stalls and demoed their waterless spray on car cleaner. They showed me how to clean the car without water. They did 1/2 of my hood, leaving the other half dirty. When they were done they turned on a hand held light that showed me the difference better than I could see with my eye and also showed me the scratches in my clear coat that I could not see without that light. They went over those with another product and the paint/clear coat was perfect. Oh, they also did the second half of the hood before they were finished.

I was sold. I ended up leaving $350.00 at the store and came home with a buffer and several of their wheel, paint, glass, and interior cleaners.

The other day while I was at work with my XLR, it rained. On my trip home, 36 miles from work, it rained all the way. Being gray dirt doesn't show up that much on the car but I knew it was there. Today it is 21 degrees outside. I decided to try the waterless spray on cleaner and I was really impressed. I have never used it even though I've had it for over a year. I used the micro towels that came with the kit and when I was done, the Grey Jewel shines once again! No scratches and NO dirt. It feels as smooth as if I just finished waxing it.

I'm sold on Griot's products and if you're looking for a product that will clean your wheels, put a long lasting protectant on your tires or cleaners, polishes and wax for your XLR, look into Griots.

For those of you that live in the midwest, when I order products from Griots online, they are shipped from Wisconsin. I usually have to wait at least a week to get my stuff, you should be able to get your order in a couple of days.

I'm not sure if they have a store/garage any place other than Tacoma but it's worth looking into. You could see first hand how to use the products and they'll do part of your car for you. Then you'll have to go home and finish the job. :laugh:

I bought the window cleaning kit in hopes of getting to those tight corners. Have not used it yet. Could you clue us into the part numbers of the cleaning products you are recommending? Thanks, aRTHUR7 k

Heavy duty wheel cleaner. Smells like cherries. Eats brake dust up in a flash. Turns red when it hits brake dust. I buy the gallon 11027 $49.99

I use the long reach brush #15736 it's a soft porous synthetic material on the end of a 12" plastic handle/stick. It gets behind the spokes of the wheel and also the inner section of the wheel that we can never reach without removing the wheel from the car.

Car Wash with wax #11025 $44.99 a gallon. You use 1 oz. for a gallon of water so it goes a long way.

After washing I use a silicon water blade $14.00 at AutoZone, and remove most of the water. Then I use Spray On Wax #11324 $49.99 a gallon. I dry the car using their #11117 Micro Fiber Drying Towel $26.99 This towel is 25" by 35" in size. I spray just a little then wipe dry with the towel. I go over the area with another micro fiber cloth about the size of a face wash cloth. Run the back of your hand over the area and you'd think you just waxed the area (and actually, you just did :D)

I use Speed Shine #11148 $30.99 a gallon. I use this A LOT!. If the car is dusty I'll use this with #11231 micro fiber speed shine cloths. Set of 3 for $16.99. These are very thick and very soft. I'll spray the hood, using 4 sprays, then lightly wipe and the dust is gone. You wipe and turn your cloth until the area is dry. Works better than a California Duster that micro scratches your car. The cloths are 15 1/4" X 15 1/4" in size.

I use speed shine when using both glass cleaning clay #11049 3.5 oz $12.99 and paint cleaning clay #11153 8 oz $19.99 to keep the areas moist so the clay glides over the areas.

My XLR had severe water spots on all of the car and the windows. The rear window was the worst. I used the clay with speed shine twice and most of the water spots are gone. I have both the fine glass polish and their glass polish #11074 $28.99 for both together and 6" pads #10614 $14.99 for a pack of 3, that go onto my random orbital buffer. I have not used either of the glass polish yet by will tomorrow. The glass polish is for spots that you can feel with your finger nail and the fine polish is used for mild spots that you can't feel with your finger nail but you can see on the glass. I bought the kit because the window were spotted so bad. Using the clay with speed shine helped a lot but my rear window was so bad I decided to use the polishes and the buffer.

I use rubber cleaner #11136 $9.99 for a 35 oz. bottle for the rubber floor mats. Makes them shine and a little slippery.

Polish.. Machine polish #3 (very mild) #11163 $16.99 for 8 oz. Used with the buffer this will do 3 cars. Removes most swirl and scratches. I have #1 for heavy oxidation, #2 for moderate scratches and #4 to remove towel & swirl marks. I use #3 the most, I've used #1 and #2 on my boat because it had a lot of oxidation when I bought it. I don't have #4.

I use #10626 6" Orange foam polish pads for polishing and #10628 6" Red foam pad for applying wax.

I use Best of Show Wax #11171 $20.99 for 16 oz. between waxing with #11029 Premium Carnauba Paste Wax.

I buy the gallon size for most of the liquid products because I do the XLR, an 88 Corvette, a 2004 F250 Super Duty and a 2009 Smart Car. All of the products, a little goes a long way and lasts a long time. You get what you pay for unlike a lot of other car products that cost less and don't last as long.

Man that's a long message! Go to the Griot's web site www.griotsgarage.com and you can look up the products, read what they are used for and what the products do. I bought the glass cleaner and that is the only product that I don't care for. I feel Spraway (I get it at Costco) is a better product. I feel it gets the glass cleaner. The Griots glass cleaner is okay, easy on and easy off, no haze or streaks I just don't care for it.

Good luck! I use a few other things for dressing the tires on my cars and my boat trailer to help with UV protection. My trailer is dunked into the Pacific Ocean a LOT so I do what I can to protect the tires, they cost almost as much as each XLR tire costs.

Love Griots products. However I prefer the Maguire's Gold Premium Polishes paired with a Griots wax product. Their random orbitals are very good.

I purchased some of the Adams Premium products at the Bowling Green Homecoming Car show and am interested in how this will compare. The 'go fast toys' are all clean and put away for the winter. Perhaps I will bring the SUV in and tape off the doors to do some comparison polishing, buffing and waxing.

Adams and Griots have very good waterless and spray on wax maintenance products.

I have not tried Maguire's Gold, I was using most of their other products including their products for boats on my boat. I was having problems with Maquire's on my 88 Vet's finish, it would look good for a day or two then it looked hazy. When I ran into Griots and how it lasted on the Vet and how the swirls and scratches were removed the first time I used the Polish #3, I decided to go all out and use all of the products with the thought that they were made to work with each other. They are not cheap money wise but to me it's like this saying when it comes to high performance engines and cars, "There's more to life than gas mileage".

I've never heard of Adams products, is that just an area of the country product?

I just read over your thread on water spots on your windows. For the stubborn water spots I have used 0000 steel wool (pronounced Quadruple Ot Steel Wool) and a window cleaner or window cleaning foam. I works every time and the 0000 wool will not scratch your windows. You can find it at most do it yourself hardware stores. A high end car detailer told me about this little trick.

I too have used steel wool 0000 to get stubborn marks out of the windows. Another good way is to cover the window with cleaner then take a standard box cutter razor blade and go over the entire window. This will get anything on the window off. The problem with steel wool is all those fine steel fibers get all over your car and we all know what that will do. Also when I wash my car after drying with a shami I park the car in the garage and go over everything including windows with a micro fiber and some spray wax. Everything is spotless.

I just read over your thread on water spots on your windows. For the stubborn water spots I have used 0000 steel wool (pronounced Quadruple Ot Steel Wool) and a window cleaner or window cleaning foam. I works every time and the 0000 wool will not scratch your windows. You can find it at most do it yourself hardware stores. A high end car detailer told me about this little trick.

If using the polishes on the buffer doesn't work I'll give the steel wool a try.

It doesn't matter what people use, if they are happy with the results that's what counts.

A little word of advice wear a pair of glove those little steel splinters don't feel so good!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan & Wendy
" 05 GRAND DADDY"

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry