Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Has anyone ever bypassed the Bose amp in their aftermarket radio installs?

Brialdo

My XLR/V(s)
2006 XLR Base
I have followed (mostly) the instructions found in the XLR Aftermarket Headunit Installation.pdf file posted here: Log In or Sign Up to View. I did get the radio to power up, but no sound was coming out. While I didn't cut and tie the like-colored wires on the 20 pin connector, I did (try) to wire in jumpers (which I got from other install thread, such as those found in this site. The reason I didn't cut and splice the 20 pin connector was because I was at a friends house and didn't want to get stuck. Also, I did use the SWC plug from the GMOS-06 to plug into the Axxess AXSWC controller (and maybe that may be one point of contention). Since I never got sound, I never checked for the Steering Wheel Controls.

Parts list purchased for this job:
  • Pioneer DMH-2600NEX
  • Axxess AXSWC
  • Axxess Technologies GMOS-06 GM Databus Specialty Harness
  • 70-2054 Wiring Kit (though that looks like a last ditch effort to hardwire the speakers directly)
  • SiriusXM SXV300v1 Connect Vehicle Tuner Kit for Satellite Radio (never plugged this in)
  • Blaupunkt Wi-Fi Car Rearview Camera (BPDW8913WR) (never made it that far)

I am wondering if I have lost my mechanical/electrical skills, and need to pay someone to do this? Looking for suggestions, beyond take it to a pro. Thanks in advance!

BTW...I called a local install shop and they said that they would need to troubleshoot and get the existing system working before making any changes, so I have booked an appointment with my local Cadillac shop for troubleshooting and diagnosis. The stereo replacement was initiated because the top got caught on a set of jumper cable that had slid forward and got bound up when I was lowering. The radio started squealing, popping and thumping and then quit.

And to preemptively answer any questions, the trunk safety switch for the divider was missing (or at least isn't working) when I bought the car. Working on other stuff first.

That is correct, @rexster314. I had my parking brake set, so I didn't want to risk messing up and not be able to get that released, if I had to back the stereo install out, which I did. I used extra speaker wire and stuck those into the appropriate holes in the plugs, but it is possible that wasn't a good connection.

I am not sure if the amp is blown, or something else. I do not have a Tech 2 to check for error codes, so I have schedule a troubleshoot and diagnosis with the Caddy dealer for Friday, but being the frugal person I am, I would like to avoid that cost.

If you haven't jumped those speaker wires as outlined in my post from 2016, it's highly unlikely you'll get any sound at all

I have followed (mostly) the instructions found in the XLR Aftermarket Headunit Installation.pdf file

I don't know what you followed and disregarded. If you had followed the pdf, you'd have a working aftermarket stereo. The dealer is not going to track/trace down anything NOT GM.

@rexster314 your guidance is appreciated. The .pdf said to cut the wires and tie the like colored ones together. Your instructions had said to run jumpers to make that connection, here: Kenwood DNX893S in the XLR That was the only deviation to those instructions from Facebook that I made.
I have reinstalled the factory radio and the trip to the caddy dealership is to troubleshoot that.
I may try this again, myself.

Any thoughts on why the top getting stuck and bound up would cause this situation in the first place?

Last edited:
Not sure what I am doing wrong and starting to get frustrated. I have cut these wires from the plug and connected them together, matching the colors, aligning with the instructions in this diagram.
top diagram.jpg

I have cut these wires and connected them, per these diagrams:
bottom diagram.jpg
DSC_0186.jpg

but, I am still not getting sound. The GMOS-06 and the AXSWC have been connected per the instructions provided. I can provide pics of the connections and the instructions, if that will help. I appreciate the patience and any help that can be provided.

Does anyone have the schematics for the the plugs going in and out of the amp?

Check the Bose amp fuse, there are 2 ... one of them in the fuse block on the floorboard next to the amp and the other which I believe is a 30 amp fuse is under the hood in the fuse block next to the battery.
I went with an aftermarket because I fried the factory cd changer in an attempt to repair it from not accepting cd's (long story). Apparently everything runs through the factory cd changer so that has to be removed, (that's why the jump wires when it's removed). I was able to install an after market Alpine while using the stock bose amp and removing the factory stereo. You can do it, watch video's, take your time and enjoy when you finish.

Here is an update. Broke down and bought a used Bose amp. Plugged it in and now I have sound.

So did something in the top short out the amp or just fate that both failed about the same time?

I really don't know. I notice that the sound changes when the top goes into motion (either up or down), like it powers down the audio a bit while it is in motion. Maybe that circuit fried when top got into the bind.

I plan on bypassing the Bose amp next weekend for infinity speakers into an infinity amp. I got the first step done and that’s the wiring harness! Some confusion there but after some thorough checking, it’s all taped up and ready for the Sony Head Unit!

System automatically turns the audio volume up then top is lowered to compensate for the wind noise.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom