Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

HEADS UP STOPPED WORKING

JOSE1

My XLR/V(s)
2004 GRAY
2004 Heads up stopped working, can see it move up and down but no display have dimmer on max
any ideas? or am I just screwed.?:dunno:
THANKS

Heads Up Display Not Working

2004 Heads up stopped working, can see it move up and down but no display have dimmer on max
any ideas? or am I just screwed.?:dunno:
THANKS

While I do not have a specific answer for you to solve the problem, it sounds possibly like a low voltage issue? To solve this on your car, while trying to avoid the Dealership Rip Off Scenario, try to locate a Site Member somewhere near you that has access to a Tech2 G.M. Scanner. --- Search the site or contact Rob, Site Administrator of Members Nearby that you could inquire with.

The Scanners are available on line from a Hong Kong based vendor on eBay for around $400.00 with everything. They aren't the most accurate people to deal with from reading other's posts. Having forgotten to send the Sim Card equivalent in some cases and then wanting to charge them for it.

These cars are known to go nuts and weird things start happening with low battery voltage or low charging rates. So aside from the scanner option start by checking your battery voltage with a volt meter. It should read at 14.2 volts across the terminals. The XLR's will drain a good battery just by sitting as there is always some voltage being pulled. Important to keep them on a Battery Tender when not in use. So you must have a known good battery, and know that the alternator is working properly charging the good battery. If any question about the battery, remove it and take it into an O'Reilly or Advance Auto Parts. They will load test it for you free of charge. If the voltage is low and it does take a charge, I'd start questioning the alternator.

Hope this helps. God Bless.

I think that long before the battery affects (just) the HUD, you'll see a barrage of other tell-tale, traditional issues with the car.

After ruling out the obvious, like the dimmer switch and polarized sunglasses, (which you've done) scanning it with a Tech 2 (which can do a custom diagnostic of the HUD) is the next step. A dealer can do this in about ten minutes, including set-up, so it shouldn't cost an arm and a leg, labor-wise.

The bad news is, if the HUD is bad, it's one of the parts no longer stocked by GM; this includes the monochrome green and later, the color display units installed on all 2004-2009 models.

There's a car being parted out on this site at the moment, so maybe he can hook you up if the HUD is indeed defective. Replacement involves a lot of dash component removal.

CC :wave:

Last edited:
After watching a Corvette video of some guy cutting his A/C vent tubes all up to work on his, I think I'd just give up on the HUD if it required digging it out to work on it.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom