Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hello & a Paint ??

S

Sandy

First a HELLO! Been snooping over here from time-to-time, and decided to finally take the time to register. Don't let the name fool you, I am a guy. Farther was avid baseball guru and was in love with Sandy Koufax, thusly I share his name. Okay what XLR do I own ? I own NONE! I have recently ended funding 4-years of college for my & my wife's Son, and now funding Law School ! Check out those prices - if 'ya think an XLR-V is costly! BTW, I am in Nu Joisey :)

Well, now for my question. Liquid Amethyst is/was listed as a color for the 2008 XLR, yet looking at your color breakout per model year, Liquid Amethyst is not listed, yet the grand total appears to be correct and agrees with what Cadfillac send to me in reply to my inquiry. What happened with (or to) that color? I assume that it was dropped prior to "Job 1" ? !!

2nd question. Somewhere near me lives a Mary Kay Guru. I see her car at the dealership I take my Cadillac to, that being Clairmont Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac & GMC Truck in West Caldwell, N.J. Her car is a 2008 Mary Kay Pink XLR. Damn is it beautiful ! Has seperated free standing silver letters on the doors, near the front wheel opening, double spaced like this: M A R Y K A Y in bright silver, TALL and slender, stylized.
SOooo, where is the listing of how many M.K. Pink XLR/XLR-V were made in M.K. Pink? The yearly totals, total the correct amount per each year, yet....there is no mentiion of MK Pink. Any clues?
Thanks!
S A N D Y :wave:

Sandy,

Welcome to the XLR Net. :)

I'll let somebody else more knowledgeable than I, answer your questions.

First a HELLO! Been snooping over here from time-to-time, and decided to finally take the time to register. Don't let the name fool you, I am a guy. Farther was avid baseball guru and was in love with Sandy Koufax, thusly I share his name. Okay what XLR do I own ? I own NONE! I have recently ended funding 4-years of college for my & my wife's Son, and now funding Law School ! Check out those prices - if 'ya think an XLR-V is costly! BTW, I am in Nu Joisey :)

Well, now for my question. Liquid Amethyst is/was listed as a color for the 2008 XLR, yet looking at your color breakout per model year, Liquid Amethyst is not listed, yet the grand total appears to be correct and agrees with what Cadfillac send to me in reply to my inquiry. What happened with (or to) that color? I assume that it was dropped prior to "Job 1" ? !!

2nd question. Somewhere near me lives a Mary Kay Guru. I see her car at the dealership I take my Cadillac to, that being Clairmont Cadillac, Buick, Pontiac & GMC Truck in West Caldwell, N.J. Her car is a 2008 Mary Kay Pink XLR. Damn is it beautiful ! Has seperated free standing silver letters on the doors, near the front wheel opening, double spaced like this: M A R Y K A Y in bright silver, TALL and slender, stylized.
SOooo, where is the listing of how many M.K. Pink XLR/XLR-V were made in M.K. Pink? The yearly totals, total the correct amount per each year, yet....there is no mentiion of MK Pink. Any clues?
Thanks!

First of all... WELCOME to the forum. Hopefully after LAW SCHOOL you can become an owner...
I believe all the Mary Kay cars are painted outside GM by an aftermarket company, thus there are no records kept of which or how many cars are painted Mary Kay pink.

Sandy, Bobbo here, a transplant from Lakewood, NJ. There probably would be very few pink Mary Kay XLR's and I would assume no XLR-V's, they are just too expensive.
One of the best colors that came out was in the last year, (09) sorry to say, and that was Black Cherry. You sound like you might be shopping. There are some great deals on these cars out there but I would look for 06 through 09. Most of the bugs have been worked out and if you want to be mobbed every time you pull into your local Bamberger's or grocery store. Everyone will make you feel like a rock star.:patriot:Welcome aboard

Thanks!

Liquid Amethyst was the only color for the Platinum Edition in '07 and it was only available with the Cashmere interior. It was introduced late in the '07 production cycle and there weren't many built, 38 I think. The color was available again in '08, but I think they cancelled the color before any were painted. It is a beautiful color.

The Mary Kay XLRs were Silver cars built in Bowling Green and then transported up to MI where they were painted the special color. I think there were only 16 of them.

Silver X may know more about them since he was working @ the plant when they were built.

Welcome, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Bruce :wave:

No

No, not shopping, Bobbo. I have always been a fan of the 3 American Luxury cars. In the past I have bought new the list below. But I was single, then married and had the money walk in & pay cash. Then came a house, a mortgage, a baby and braces and and and and....now no mortgage, but then 4-years college in Princeton and now Law school, and it never seemingly ends.
I don't think the XLRs are painted "aftermarket" as I have seen pictures of the storage lot, of XLRs awaiting shipment to dealers & was able to spot 1 or 2 M.K.P. XLRs among them. If you have never seen one, in person, they have alot of little differences - especially in nomenclature.
Okay, here is my listing

New Imperials purchased in 1868 (Convertible!); 1972; 1974; 1976; 1982.
New Lincolns purchased in 1986 & 1998 (both Marks)
New Cadillac SDV in 1988 and my current - a One Off - made especially for me, by Cadillac. A 1993 Sixty Special ....

Why it's a one off > The exterior paint color is Dark Amethyst Plum Metallic, a midnight black-purple. Think taking a gallon of gloss black paint and pouring into it a quart of bright purple & stir. Okay. Black Plum ~
It is brand new, with just 9,800 miles in 16 years. I link to it, below....
Anyhow, the interiors offered with that were grey, beige or saddle. I wanted white learther- but... with white came either blue OR red accents (carpets, dash, steering wheel, etc) and that would never go with the exterior color. I knew some people in the FTS (Fleetwood Trim Shop) that was on or near the property of the C Body plant. Using those components from a Sixty Special that would have a black interior, they delivered black carpeting, steering wheel & column, dash parts to the line in their then "Just in time" program, as they went all computer. Therefore I got my Plum & Whote 60 Special. It's Special Times only let out of captivity. I run around in a late model (off a used car lot) 2003 Town Car.
My wife has a 2001 DTS DeVille...whatever...also bought used.College will do that.:dunno: Here is a pic of my '93 flawless 60 Special Fleetwood:-

http://www.smatarese.com/forum/sandy/

What Bruce told you was correct--the last two years we have been at the Bowling Green plant, the question came up about the Mary Kay XLR cars. We were told they were not planted at the Bowling Green plant, they are sent to MI, bacically taken back apart, painted and reassembled.

I don't think the XLRs are painted "aftermarket" as I have seen pictures of the storage lot, of XLRs awaiting shipment to dealers & was able to spot 1 or 2 M.K.P. XLRs among them.

WOW, thank you to everyone. Sleepless nights are over !! Really, THANKS !!

I sort of had to giggle when I read this thread ... we have had the Mary Kay paint discussion before a couple of times - this is the calmest reaction ever. There seems to be no middle ground on that color ..... People either love it or hate it. ;) But someone always ventured their opinion.

I saw a Liquid Amythest for sale last year in AZ ... what a BEAUTIFUL color .... truly looked liquid. But a lot of that color reflection and refraction had to do with the lines of the XLR .... I don't think it would look good on just any car. :blinzel:

Glad you're going to get some sleep ... paint has never kept me up! :lol:

I like the M.K. Pink. It's different, stands apart, and since I don't sell Mary Kay products, I'll never have to worry about getting one. One of my Imperials was a dusty mauve, a cross between gray and lilac. It was very light in hue, about like today's typical silver, so 'ya, a light color 70% silver 30% light lilac. It was a 1967 Crown Coupe.

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom