Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! Help...Brakes Locked...stuck in road

MrSmoke

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR-V
My service stability track light came on and my brakes begin to slowly lock up over the course of a minute. They are now completely locked and I am pulled over on the road. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to an old post from ccclarke from 2005 you may have an issue with wires in the steering column. TSB 06-02-35-002.
Press and hold the Traction Control Switch until it chimes 2 times each time you start the car . Get home and have the wiring checked. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

It did not. I had it sent to the dealer for diagnosis. They are claiming it’s the brake switch that is faulty and needs to be replaced. $25 part +4 hours of labor. $650 ish total. Any thoughts? The mechanic said he cleared the stabilitrak code and drove it, but the code came back

I was hoping for a cheaper alternative. Need some advice, thanks in advance.

Brake switches and not basic *****es? Sounds like they meant wheel hubs?

Brake pedal position sensor, but the brake switch? I don't know what that is and I have worked on the XLR brake system before. Enlighten me.

Brake light switch or stop light switch from what I could gather. They refused to send me a proper quote with part number. Somethings not right...? Whatever is faulty is causing the car to keep the brakes depressed with brake lights on...the push button starts the car without me physically touching the brake...also, is $150 an hour normal labor?

brake light switch works that and a couple other things but even disconnected or shorted it would not lock up the brakes. Only think would be abs failure or complete master cylinder failure? never heard of this one before. A tech would have to have gotten a code to come up with some sort of switch unless hes guessing

$150 an hour is fair price for a master technician with years of experience who will figure out the issue quickly. I doubt the dealership can keep someone like that when they actually pay them around $30 an hour. I think this is a EBCM or a TCM issue. Would need a scan tool to proceed further.

Agree, whatever the issue, the ABS is being commanded to engage the brakes. I don't understand how a simple brake switch failure could cause the ABS to engage. My understanding of ccclarke's post was that wiring in the steering column can short. I believe the wiring includes the yaw sensor which could fake the stability system into thinking it is in a skid. What does not make sense is why the brakes would stay on when the vehicle is at zero speed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I agree, some sensor(s) is causing one of the modules to think a crash is imminent and to panic. But the check engine light would be on if a sensor(s) is way off kilter with other sensors (there is redundancy), which kind of leads me to think a module logic failure issue.

Thank you everyone for the input. Unfortunately, I am still lost as to whether or not to let the Cadillac dealer handle it. Can someone confirm that it would take four hours of labor to replace stop light switch and possibly a position sensor?

the brake light switch shows 1 hour labor. the position sensor? who knows what they are talking about. I still would want to know the code they found that points to anything. locked up brakes would set a code on some module failure. adaptive cruise? I don't believe It would not lock up the brakes. Again, never heard of this failure or find anything online. Seems its going ot be a money pit as they replace parts at random to look for it.

Siesed brakes.

MrSmoke

It is a non usuable problem seens on this site, finding some one that could do the job could be your dealer or a Chevrolet dealer they have the trained mechanics and the tool ( scanner ) to find the problem.
4 hours sound a lot, ask the dealer the why and explinations.

Enclosed are some images that shows the brake system and the park brake system that could help you to better understand the problem of your XLR, as you can appreciate it is a some complicated systems.

4 hours +/- could be a reality as the reaching of the position sensor is not easy... ounce replaced the system could needs to be equalibrated.

One thing you can your self do, is the checking of the fuses and relays for defect.....you never know, it is one of the first steps that the dealer should do.

Good LUCK

IAN:wave:

ABS 1.jpgABS 2.jpgPark Brake Release Circuit.jpg

yeah, I would jack the car up and see if its all four brakes or only the rear. if its the rear not releasing then the switch for the park brake that is a little harder to replace still nothing showing up with that as a problem but if its the rear only thats what i would look at. still it should light up the dash for park brake on. I remember years ago ,every time my grand dad would pull up I smelt brakes and would go out and release his park brake. with the old drum brakes they just barely held and would smell but hardly wear. I will look to see were the switch is and even if you can buy it separately. pulling the 2 relays for the park brake should release it and that would be my second option. they may even be just a bad relay as they can get wet in that area.

Last edited:
Brake problem

Mick

If it is the rear, this could very well means that it is the mechanical and its electrical park brake components that do not works properly.

If this is the 4 wheels brake hydraulic fluid sytem and its electrical components that are defective, only a dealer and its scanner will tell and fix.

IAN :blinzel:

Are you certain all four brakes are locked up?

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom