Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Hood Struts

carterchapman

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2005 Crimson Pearl XLR
Got new hood struts from Advance Auto. Could not get them to "compress". Sent them back, got another set, same thing - solid as a rock. I was afraid I'd break the hood, that's how stiff they are.

I've had great results with GMPartsDirect.com, but when I was typing thier website in, my computer went to GMPartsDirect.co - a clone website from another GM dealer. The struts they sent me were flat - no pressure. Hard to get in touch with them, - when I finally reached someone, no refund - the answer was "take them back to your GM dealer for a refund". Yea, right... didn't work.

So, Question 1: What is the problem with the struts that will not compress? Two sets - same result. I put as much weight on them as I could agains the floor and no movement.

and 2: Don't use the .co website for GMPartsDirect - make sure you are on .com!

Got new hood struts from Advance Auto. Could not get them to "compress". Sent them back, got another set, same thing - solid as a rock. I was afraid I'd break the hood, that's how stiff they are.

I've had great results with GMPartsDirect.com, but when I was typing thier website in, my computer went to GMPartsDirect.co - a clone website from another GM dealer. The struts they sent me were flat - no pressure. Hard to get in touch with them, - when I finally reached someone, no refund - the answer was "take them back to your GM dealer for a refund". Yea, right... didn't work.

So, Question 1: What is the problem with the struts that will not compress? Two sets - same result. I put as much weight on them as I could agains the floor and no movement.

and 2: Don't use the .co website for GMPartsDirect - make sure you are on .com!

Without handling them myself, I'm guessing at a distance, however, some struts are shipped in a locked position or have a lock catch. Do they rotate to release? Also, sometimes they stick, just need being pushed closed once to get them working (not using the hood!). What did Advance Auto have to say?

Have you advised gmpartsdirect.com that they might be being cloned? Companies usually seek to protect their brand and a close url might be counted as an infringement.

175 views and nobody has replaced their hood struts?

Without handling them myself, I'm guessing at a distance, however, some struts are shipped in a locked position or have a lock catch. Do they rotate to release? Also, sometimes they stick, just need being pushed closed once to get them working (not using the hood!). What did Advance Auto have to say?

No locks on them, and they replaced them with another set that is the same way...I've pushed on them with all my weight and no movement...

No locks on them, and they replaced them with another set that is the same way...I've pushed on them with all my weight and no movement...

I don't know what you weigh, but that comes across as very defective. Did you try some others for comparison purposes? Gas assist struts are all much the same.

I don't know what you weigh, but that comes across as very defective. Did you try some others for comparison purposes? Gas assist struts are all much the same.

Yes, it's strange. pushed with 40 to 50 of my 190 lbs...and they don't budge...

Not trying to be snarky, but have you pulled on them? Instead of pushing? I wouldn't think that they would be shipped/sold extended

Not trying to be snarky, but have you pulled on them? Instead of pushing? I wouldn't think that they would be shipped/sold extended

Rex - shipped fully extended. Nice thought though...

Bought some for the Denali tailgate window that were shipped extended as well. they were easy to install and easily compressed the first time...

Thanks Zen,

I'll order a set there...

The Stabilus units are manufactured in the county in which I reside.

Might be a good idea to lay in some of them as part of my "Spare Parts Stash".

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom