Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How can I remove label glue residue from visor

jackparker06V

My XLR/V(s)
2006 Platinum/w Ebony int XLR-V
Hi All!

I hate those seat belt warning stickers on the visors of our cars. So, i pulled my drivers side off the visor. It is not near as intrusive now but there is some glue residue left. Anyone have a good way to remove the residue without damaging the visor fabric?

Jack

Jack,

I have never tried it on fabric, but acetone seems to work all the time for adhesive removal. Maybe try on an inconpicuous place first. 3M also makes an adhesive remover--I have some at home but don't know what the part number is off the top of my head. Good luck, tell Linda we said hi.!!:wave:

Hi All!

I hate those seat belt warning stickers on the visors of our cars. So, i pulled my drivers side off the visor. It is not near as intrusive now but there is some glue residue left. Anyone have a good way to remove the residue without damaging the visor fabric?

Jack

I would not try Acetone, heavy solvent which can dissolve many fabrics and vinyl. Try Goof off wich is used to remove many lable adhesives. If it is a thermoset adhesive you could try a hair dryer to soften before Goof Off. Doug-j

Goo gone is popular in getting rid of that residue from the fabric... but my understanding is that it does take some time and eblow grease.

Thanks for all the input. I will try something. I'm not sure what yet. The heat from a heat gun will be a lot quicker than a hair dryer although potentially a lot more damaging. I will sneak up on it so as to not create an additional non repairable problem. Little steps first.
I will keep this site posted of success or failure. Any additional ideas would also be appreciated.

Jack

I pulled the same stunt on a car a few years back and ended up taking the visor off the car and using an iron to remove the adhesive. use a paper towel or clean cloth between the iron and the visor and the adhesive will lift into the cloth... make sure you change the paper towel often because the adhisive will both lift from the visor and deposit back onto the visor... it's takes some time, but no elbow greese needed...

JT

I'd try the hair dryer; the heat gun might be overkill, and it's a bit harder to control. The best way used to be to warm the labels up before pulling them off, but GM or the supplier changed the glue (probably because that's exactly what people were doing), and it got harder.

As you know, if you use a chemical, it's a good idea to try it somewhere where a problem won't show.

Hi! Again, thanks everyone for your ideas and advice. I still have not tried anything. As soon as I do i will post results.
Jack

Jack, I hate looking at the big yellow sticker, too. After looking it over, I decided it might be best to just cover it over with a piece of black tape and not ruin the visor. Just a thought

I pulled off my sticker assuming I could easily clean off the glue. Not! Chemicals would not work for me, so I took some packing tape and used the glue side to pull off the sticker glue. It worked, but it took 10-15 minutes and 2+ feet of tape to get all the glue off. Visor is fine with no signs of glue.

sli1, 2008 XLR, black interior

A word to the wise from a lawyer on a Vette site. He said not to be in any hurry to remove those labels. If you sell the car and the new owner has an accident and sues the auto maker for lack of info, the auto maker may find out that the warnings were removed by the previous owner and now the automaker has another party to involve in the litigation. It could wind up being a very "sticky" situation. Let the label remover be warned.

Floyd (BB)

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back