Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

How many change your own oil & filter?

Popbigguy

Seasoned Member
My XLR/V(s)
2007 XLR-V RII'07 RIII'08 SA'09 CO'10 NCSC'11 PA'12 BG'13 MT'14 VBOBX'15
Just got back from the dealer having my oil / filter change. Getting ready for the Montana run! But.... the "new" price at the dealer is over $100. Use to be only $69 all the time. How many of you change your own oil / filter?

popbigguy
i change my own oil and filter. My Cadillac dealer was charging a 100 two years ago. I like to do most of the maintenance . Now when it gets in depth repairs I leave that to the profecionals.
V Happy

ALWAYS change my own oil. Too many friends with horror stories from loose oil plugs, loose oil filters, even doubled up oil filter gaskets. Or the oil plugs has been put back on too tight; the next guy uses a visegrip to take the oil plug off, then puts the same plug back on... with the visegrip. Learned it's easier to change my own oil than to deal with the knuckleheads that some of these oil change places hire...
And... as V Happy says, when it comes to the more in depth repairs, leave that to the professionals...

i just bought a purolator pure one filter for the next change. i assume we are all using mobil1 5w30 synthetic??
just curious, anyone know an oversized filter that fits? i do this on my 4runner and prius :) for more filtration surface area.
tiny filter makes no sense when you are going 10k plus miles.

I always changed my own oil/filter,takes less time than driving back and forth and waiting for the dealer,bonus points: 1/4 the price, tha's a lot of money over 50 yrs. Al

Last edited:
Change my own oil

I have always changed my oil on my cars and motorcycles. I generally use a better grade of oil and filter than the various dealers/garages do. And I enjoy doing it!!!

Just got back from the dealer having my oil / filter change. Getting ready for the Montana run! But.... the "new" price at the dealer is over $100. Use to be only $69 all the time. How many of you change your own oil / filter?

Too many cars, and not enough time. I do have a great relationship with my dealer and mechanic though. I bring the Mobil 1, they provide the AC filter and labor for $18.95, and dispose of the old oil. Plus we usually nose around under there to check everything else.
Bruce

I change my own oil & filter too. Mobil 1 and AC filter.

tiny filter,,,,

tiny filter makes no sense when you are going 10k plus miles.

When in doubt,,,,,at 5K miles, drop just the filter and replace with a new filter,,,,and just top off the oil level. Personally, I like changing out the synthetic Mobil 1 @ 7K miles or so....jmo

I change mine. I like knowing it was done right and take the opportunity to do an inspection for any potential problems. Mobil1 and Purolator filters. Never have enough miles to matter, do it annually. I know it should be done every 6 months, but with such low mileage I risk it.

I'm curious as to why so many of you use Mobil 1 oil but don't use Mobil 1 oil filters?

I'm curious as to why so many of you use Mobil 1 oil but don't use Mobil 1 oil filters?

I do it because that's the way GM did it (not that it means it is always the best way) and I trust the AC (GM) filters.
I was surprised how many of you change your own oil, and I applaud you for doing so.

I have always changed my own oil and filter, but now with 10 vehicles to take care of having one of these in my garage has sure made it a lot easier.

I change the oil in all my cars and bikes every Spring myself also.
Yet , wondering how I can do the new XLR...I'm sure it can't be driven up my ramps.
Do you guys jack it up ?

I change the oil in all my cars and bikes every Spring myself also.
Yet , wondering how I can do the new XLR...I'm sure it can't be driven up my ramps.
Do you guys jack it up ?

We do it ourselves, use the 2 piece Race Ramps. They aren’t cheap but you’re not going to be able to just buy ramps at the auto store & have them work for a low car like the XLR.

I use the ac filter also . I checked years ago and Mobile one did not make one. that may have changed by now. Really need to change it every year regardless of miles on the oil.

I also change my own oil. Mobile 1 and a Wix filter. I also put a new gasket on the oil pan plug each time. Next to the XLR my next best purchase was a four post lift... Have a great day and it is only 49 days til Spring.....

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom