Welcome to the Cadillac XLR Forums!

Help! How to change front turn signal bulb

packard_roy

My XLR/V(s)
2008 Crystal Red XLR
My newly purchased 2008 XLR passenger side front turn signal bulb just stopped working. I assume that the bulb is burnt out, and have purchased replacement bulbs. Now I have to find out how to replace it. Anyone done this? Need any help you might have.

DRL-Blinker Bulb Replacement

My newly purchased 2008 XLR passenger side front turn signal bulb just stopped working. I assume that the bulb is burnt out, and have purchased replacement bulbs. Now I have to find out how to replace it. Anyone done this? Need any help you might have.

There are two ways to replace this bulb:

1 - squeeze your hands through that small hole in the firewall, near the air filter assembly (hope you have small hands), locate the upper bulb on the headlight assembly (a rubber grommet type piece, with a connector attached), grab it and rotate it to allow the bulb assembly to be pulled rearward. You should be able to get to the bulb and remove and replace it with your new one. You may have to disconnect the connector, to get the hole bulb assembly out. Your hands will get scratched up doing this method.

2 - this method requires the removal of the entire headlight assembly. To do that, you need to remove the front inner fender (which usually requires removing the front tire, but it can be done without, by turning the tire). There are several pop-out plugs around the fender edge, and a few small screws on the under side of the inner fender. Once you have this out, you then need to locate the 3 headlight mounting bolts. I've used a deep well socket and extension for this, because the clearance is tight-small turns of the nut. Once loosened, you can easily remove the bolts by hand (the bolts are pretty long). The headlight assembly needs a small lift, then pull forward, to get it out of the locating knob that interfaces with the front fender. Once you have cleared this knob, you will continue to lift the headlight out, until the 3 bolts are clear of the mounting base. Make sure you have a towel on the front bumper, the keep these bolts from scratching it, as you pull the assembly forward. Rest the assembly on the towel and you will easily see the top bulb mount. Rotate and pull out the bulb and replace with new. Before you put everything back in place, start the car and make sure it works properly (DRL and blinker). You should have someone hold the headlight while you do this, to ensure it does move If it does, carefully reverse the procedure and bolt everything back in place. The headlight alignment should not be affected, if you get the knob into the fender fully rearward, and the headlight assembly is pretty flush with the surrounding fender (before bolt down).

I hope this helps. It's not easy, no matter which way you do it.:(

PAK XLR8

I just changed the little DRL bulb a few weeks ago, managed to get it out by reaching in but could not get it back in. Had to take out the headlight to put it back in. Note that the headlight bolts are just like the bumper cover bolts and are right along the same place, I think the 3 headlight bolts are set back just a bit from the others.

There are two ways to replace this bulb:

1 - squeeze your hands through that small hole in the firewall, near the air filter assembly (hope you have small hands), locate the upper bulb on the headlight assembly (a rubber grommet type piece, with a connector attached), grab it and rotate it to allow the bulb assembly to be pulled rearward. You should be able to get to the bulb and remove and replace it with your new one. You may have to disconnect the connector, to get the hole bulb assembly out. Your hands will get scratched up doing this method.

2 - this method requires the removal of the entire headlight assembly. To do that, you need to remove the front inner fender (which usually requires removing the front tire, but it can be done without, by turning the tire). There are several pop-out plugs around the fender edge, and a few small screws on the under side of the inner fender. Once you have this out, you then need to locate the 3 headlight mounting bolts. I've used a deep well socket and extension for this, because the clearance is tight-small turns of the nut. Once loosened, you can easily remove the bolts by hand (the bolts are pretty long). The headlight assembly needs a small lift, then pull forward, to get it out of the locating knob that interfaces with the front fender. Once you have cleared this knob, you will continue to lift the headlight out, until the 3 bolts are clear of the mounting base. Make sure you have a towel on the front bumper, the keep these bolts from scratching it, as you pull the assembly forward. Rest the assembly on the towel and you will easily see the top bulb mount. Rotate and pull out the bulb and replace with new. Before you put everything back in place, start the car and make sure it works properly (DRL and blinker). You should have someone hold the headlight while you do this, to ensure it does move If it does, carefully reverse the procedure and bolt everything back in place. The headlight alignment should not be affected, if you get the knob into the fender fully rearward, and the headlight assembly is pretty flush with the surrounding fender (before bolt down).

I hope this helps. It's not easy, no matter which way you do it.:(

PAK XLR8

3rd method (and the one I prefer) - - - go to a body shop and let them do it!:lol:

Light changed and finished

Thanks again for the input. It was really simple to get the headlight assembly out and change the bulb. Took all of half an hour. :thumbsup

Headlight bulb

:dunno: I get taking the assembly out to remove and replace ANY of the bulbs but are there any tricks/problems with doing the HID headlight bulb?? Thank you in advance!!

PLEASE

:dunno: I get taking the assembly out to remove and replace ANY of the bulbs but are there any tricks/problems with doing the HID headlight bulb?? Thank you in advance!!
if you take the time to change the bulb, change both of them to leds so that you do not continue to degrade your lens. The 3757 is just to hot for the enclosure. Leds can be bought at any parts tore or bulbs are us. They will last well and look fine

Cadillac XLR Forums

Not a member?  Join now!  It's Free!

Learn more about Supporting Membership

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Taput Tunning LLC

Top Hydraulics

Cadillac XLR Registry

Click here to enter the official Cadillac XLR and XLR-V Registry
Back
Top Bottom